The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How come men can go topless but not women? If breasts are the issue?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4Astars
I was just stating my opinion. I was answering the question- I said that the reason why men can go topless and women can't is because that's what most people would think is normal. This is my firm belief and I believe that this opinion is correct. I can't believe you extracted so much about my personality from just one statement I made. You don't know me.

"I was just stating my opinion."

Clearly. And that's all you did.

You didn't give a reason for anything, go back and read the comment I first quoted, it's entirely made of statements with no explanation, so you didn't say that at all.

And your statement was telling, as well as the way you worded it. Again, you probably only find it hard to believe this because of your (frankly apparent) closed mindedness. :^)
Original post by The meal
I see no problem with it. In fact I promote women to go topless in public. You would see no complaints from me. Equal rights is the most important thing at the end of the day.

Me neither ! I doubt you'd hear complaints from many men or even other women .
Original post by Adam1327
"I was just stating my opinion."

Clearly. And that's all you did.

You didn't give a reason for anything, go back and read the comment I first quoted, it's entirely made of statements with no explanation, so you didn't say that at all.

And your statement was telling, as well as the way you worded it. Again, you probably only find it hard to believe this because of your (frankly apparent) closed mindedness. :^)

Ok. Let's just stop arguing now
Reply 23
Double standards.

Regardless of gender/sex, I wouldn't want to see someone topless.
Original post by ssupernova
Me neither ! I doubt you'd hear complaints from many men or even other women .

But given the current wave of sex attacks in Europe, I would not promote it for the safety of the women. Ideally I wish they could and providing there is enough people around to witness any attack it should be fine. I'm surprised we do not see more women go topless on the tube for example in the summer when it is like an oven
Original post by BookBird
Why is a woman not covering her breasts considered immodest? Ah, I know why. Because breasts have become sexualised and so aren't considered appropriate to flaunt in public, similarly with vaginas and penises.

Breasts simply are a secondary sexual characteristic, and in my view they are in their own category, a step above things like pubes (which you also cannot show in public), because they are a mimic of the buttocks, which are the ancestral sexual display site in primates.

Of course the primary function of breasts is to secrete milk. But there is no function of the roundedness of breasts other than as a secondary sexual characteristic. I challenge you to come up with one: since all other mammals are perfectly capable of suckling without having to have over-the-top swellings in the region.

The preposterous size, spectacular uselessness and buttock mimicry of rounded breasts points to only one sensible conclusion: they are the result of sexual selection by upright male apes who are pissed off because standing up they can't see the hot female's bum so easily.
Original post by Katty3
Breasts are for feeding babies. They are no more sexual than a hand.

They are seen as sexual purely due to society. In some African cultures, women go around topless. Do men who live in those cultures find that distracting? No. The beast is not seen as sexual.

I don't care if men find it distracting. Why on earth should a guy dictate what I do? I am my own person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Upload pictures of your hands and boobs.
Doesn't make sense does it. Double standards really 🙃

There is no double standards here. Most men would actually like to see you all practice what you preach. All you mutha***kas wanting to go topless should upload photos of you topless. Lets start from there.
Half of these comments are perfectly reasonable and the other half make me want to slam my head into my keyboard, is this normal?
Original post by bardnnyc
There is no double standards here. Most men would actually like to see you all practice what you preach. All you mutha***kas wanting to go topless should upload photos of you topless. Lets start from there.

I agree. But it breaks the tsr rules.
Original post by Adam1327
Half of these comments are perfectly reasonable and the other half make me want to slam my head into my keyboard, is this normal?

Welcome to tsr

Haha I don't wanna go topless to be perfectly honest but it wouldn't bother me if others did ! As a women , I'm used to boobs , I don't even notice them , someone can accidentally brush their hands against mine and it not an issue , it's the same as touching my hand or leg it's just a body part. I think what women don't like is perverts staring , it makes me uncomfortable personally so that's what's stopping me more than anything :colone:
Original post by The meal
But given the current wave of sex attacks in Europe, I would not promote it for the safety of the women. Ideally I wish they could and providing there is enough people around to witness any attack it should be fine. I'm surprised we do not see more women go topless on the tube for example in the summer when it is like an oven

I agree . I bet you've also seen posts about women 'taking their bras off after a long day ' , bras can be quite restricting and uncomfortable when it's hot !
I agree . I bet you've also seen posts about women 'taking their bras off after a long day ' , bras can be quite restricting and uncomfortable when it's hot !

Just wearing a top for me as a guy gets sticky and annoying in blasting humid heat. So I Imagine, unless its a sports bra, based on the material it must be horrible. Religion imposed this idea on us that we should cover up but it was before all that, we all socialized fine without covering up. I see no problem with it unless for safety reasons as I stated before and in a business environment (but even that is debatable, as I work better comfortable and not in a damn suit)
Original post by hoping4Astars
A woman should be modest and cover her chest at all times. For men it is less important to cover the chest although they too should remain modest. This is how society works. Stop complaining and wear what's expected.

You're [scarily] passive, and that's weird, making you weird.
Haha I don't wanna go topless to be perfectly honest but it wouldn't bother me if others did ! As a women , I'm used to boobs , I don't even notice them , someone can accidentally brush their hands against mine and it not an issue , it's the same as touching my hand or leg it's just a body part. I think what women don't like is perverts staring , it makes me uncomfortable personally so that's what's stopping me more than anything :colone:

Aint nothing like the underlined. Why would you get uncomfortable when someone stares at your hands? they might be admiring your nails, or legs, they might be admiring your shoes. Some staring at your chest might not actually be staring at your boobs. Breasts according to you are just like other body parts.

Whenever I meet you and I want to draw your attention to something, I wont be nudging or touching your shoulders/hands...I will be tapping you on the nipples.
This double standards crap: why is it so outrageous that there are sometimes different standards for the different sexes? They're different. That's why they have different standards and why they're sometimes treated differently. It's not rocket science.

And don't play the equality card. Just because you have different standards doesn't mean those standards are in any way worse or less equal. It just makes them different.
Original post by XcitingStuart
You're [scarily] passive, and that's weird, making you weird.

Ok...
Aint nothing like the underlined. Why would you get uncomfortable when someone stares at your hands? they might be admiring your nails, or legs, they might be admiring your shoes. Some staring at your chest might not actually be staring at your boobs. Breasts according to you are just like other body parts.

Whenever I meet you and I want to draw your attention to something, I wont be nudging or touching your shoulders/hands...I will be tapping you on the nipples.

People don't just going around touching other people's hands or legs or other bits of skin on show so even if tits were out everyday for you to see doesn't mean you can actually touch them , they're not yours to touch !

I do agree with you for the most actually , I wish we could all be so nonchalant about titties ! Although yeah people looking at my hands of legs can make me uncomfortable, just looking at me in general , makes me paranoid haha. Although that's more my insecurity than society at large .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Katty3
Breasts are for feeding babies. They are no more sexual than a hand.

They are seen as sexual purely due to society. In some African cultures, women go around topless. Do men who live in those cultures find that distracting? No. The beast is not seen as sexual.

I don't care if men find it distracting. Why on earth should a guy dictate what I do? I am my own person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You fill find that the men of those cultures are very distracted. It is probably why they still live in mud huts and haven't advanced much in all the history of their culture,

Latest

Trending

Trending