The Student Room Group

How do you see UK in 20 years time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Well, the times when bus tickets were 40p for children and 80p for adults are long gone.

Its only downhill from here =[

Somehow I have to agree on this one. Despite the fact that the price was a bit different, as it was more of a £1.20 for adult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by Dick Diamonds
Much more corrupt; I think with police budget cuts, enforcement of the law will be outsourced to private contractors who essentially act as enforcers rather than police who probably do act in the interests of the people. Wealthy streets will probably have to hire private security whilst poorer areas will probably just allow crime to run loose.

I hope this gives rise to an age of superheroes! or just heroes. I'm picturing a future heir to a billionaire's estate who has a morale conscious, he is seeing the poor area where his father was brought up, get engulfed in crime and he feels that needs to do something about it.
Reply 62
Original post by RivalPlayer
The more diverse a society becomes, the harder it is to introduce things without offending people. You just have to look at the issues surrounding stop and search in London. As the police have cut back on targeted searches, knife crime has gone up. It's obvious where the problem lies, yet the police have to operate in a way to appease a group of people to avoid a backlash - even if doing so means the streets are more unsafe for the wider population.

If society was more cohesive, the problem with knife crime wouldn't be as big as it is. When you have so much variation (in thought) on what is deemed socially acceptable and not acceptable, it is harder to obtain a general consensus. People also end up caring less about their fellow citizen because there are fewer reasons to be concerned about others that are vastly different to them.
As the UK continues to become increasingly diverse, it will only become harder to introduce sweeping societal changes without plssing people off.

You've just expaded your point. I will stay with my old one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Well, the times when bus tickets were 40p for children and 80p for adults are long gone.

Its only downhill from here =[

I remember the days:frown:
Bus fare is rising literally every 6 months

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think in 20 years the housing market will be out of control.Only rich, well off people will be able to afford houses.
There won't be an NHS, perhaps a more American type insurance healthcare system, a very very wide gap between the rich & poor & more people in poverty I think.Basically the richer will get richer & the poor will get poorer:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CreamyChocolate
Depends which government is in power.

If labour, then the UK will be far more multicultural, with high unemployment, more people going to University, and a more generous welfare system.

If conservative, then the UK will have a larger gap between the rich and poor, a less generous welfare system, and only rich people going to University.

Kill me now!
Original post by Ronda Rousey
I am morally superior to you. I'm not a racist.

In that case, you're an antisemite.
Original post by LaughingBro
Looking not much different to the Middle-East or North Africa.

I'm surprised it took eight posts for that sort of nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile
more chavs in the street.
(edited 8 years ago)
The answers in this thread are so predictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poohat
Please stop lying, you know fine well that the statistics I mentioned are correct.

What exactly do you disagree with?

The percentage of Muslims in the English school age population (currently just under 10%, which has doubled in the last decade and is projected to keep increasing: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11406700/Number-of-Muslim-children-in-Britain-doubles-in-a-decade.html).

The 65% effective income tax rates in the UK? All are available at hmrc.gov.uk, its not like there are any secrets. 40% income tax, 16% national insurance and 9% student loan repayments are the standard amounts that middle class people are paying.

The fact that 40% of school children in London dont have English as a first language? http://www.standard.co.uk/news/english-a-second-language-for-40-of-london-pupils-6545682.html

The fact that whites are now outnumbered by Muslims/Africans/etc in London schools and that as the percentage of non-whites continues to rise, the cost of houses in the few remaining European areas will rise at very fast rates? http://www.standard.co.uk/news/more-ethnic-pupils-than-whites-in-london-schools-6368734.html

The UK is pretty much screwed and your life is going to be crappy unless you are either high income, or have rich parents. England is already a second world country compared to America/Australia/Canada/Switzerland/etc, and things are going to get worse, not better. That isnt scaremongering, its just the reality of 20 years of left wing immigration and welfare policy.

I agree with you. I'm from Germany. I was in Manchester for ten days in June. I saw all I needed to.

It wasn't a good experience being in Manchester at all. I also wasn't comfortable being in Uni of Manchester.

Manchester

rubbish on the ground/roads and every 5 steps you took you would smell piss

many homeless people sleeping rough on the streets

many people begging for money and food

drug activity was rift on the streets

police and ambulance sirens blaring off every 20 mins

Uni of Manchester

run down buildings

dusty and dirty

security was non existent even though its an open campus

no more NHS 😞
Original post by JaydorIV
no more NHS 😞

People have said that throughout the NHS’ history.

It’s still here, treating more people than ever, saving more lives than ever and giving better service than ever.
Original post by paul514

It’s still here, treating more people than ever, saving more lives than ever and giving better service than ever.

woohoo!🤗
Original post by paul514

Its also never faced a financial deficit as large as the one it currently faces, has never had such staffing deficits, has never had such barriers erected to its efforts to recruit new staff (immigration red tape, Brexit etc).

I think major changes are inevitable.
Original post by nexttime
Its also never faced a financial deficit as large as the one it currently faces, has never had such staffing deficits, has never had such barriers erected to its efforts to recruit new staff (immigration red tape, Brexit etc).

I think major changes are inevitable.

Alright we’ll set a calendar alert for 10 years to remind yourself that you were wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending