The Student Room Group

School Leaver Schemes

I recently found out about these and I got very interested, but it seems too good to be true. You get a salary, experience and study all at the same time. Is there some catch? Are school leaver schemes just glorified internships or are they worth going into?

It's either that or a degree in accountancy and debt..
Original post by popcornjpg
I recently found out about these and I got very interested, but it seems too good to be true. You get a salary, experience and study all at the same time. Is there some catch? Are school leaver schemes just glorified internships or are they worth going into?

It's either that or a degree in accountancy and debt..

I can tell you that there is no "catch" with school leaver schemes at the Big 4 firms at least (not sure what schemes are offered at smaller firms).

The "Flying Start" scheme at PwC (and whatever the equivalents are at the other firms) is a great chance to get a sponsored degree while getting real work experience, and a guaranteed job at the end of it if you perform well throughout.

If you would prefer to go straight into employment without a degree, there are options for that too, leading to qualifications relevant to the department you join.

These schemes are viable alternative options to university, and you can progress your career just the same as a grad can (arguably quicker).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Ideally, I am looking to get into the National Audit Office scheme or alternatively on the EY one. It's very competitive (6 school leavers per year for London) but I think I can make it as I'm building a very strong portfolio.

It's good to hear that there is no catch, I'd much rather get on one of these than go to university at this point.
Ideally, I am looking to get into the National Audit Office scheme or alternatively on the EY one. It's very competitive (6 school leavers per year for London) but I think I can make it as I'm building a very strong portfolio.

It's good to hear that there is no catch, I'd much rather get on one of these than go to university at this point.

"Building a very strong portfolio" what a load of sh*t haha

Are you looking to apply this year then? Good luck with the applications, and if you need any other advice, feel free to message me with any questions.

Original post by conformplease

A bit harsh and unnecessary
Reply 5

Not bothered by your comment mate, I believe I am doing exactly that. Got nothing better to do than criticise?

Original post by Mathaddict
Are you looking to apply this year then? Good luck with the applications, and if you need any other advice, feel free to message me with any questions.

Next year. I'll do that, yeah. Cheers!
Reply 6
Original post by SamHAM__
If anyone needs any advice about the application process for EY (Assurance) and PwC (Management Consulting) feel free to ask me as I have gone through both processes.

What is the interview for EY like? What sort of questions came up that you remember?
Not bothered by your comment mate, I believe I am doing exactly that. Got nothing better to do than criticise?

Next year. I'll do that, yeah. Cheers!

I'm going to assume that you're actually referring to a CV, what are you doing to make it so incredibly strong then?
Reply 8
I'm going to assume that you're actually referring to a CV, what are you doing to make it so incredibly strong then?

I didn't word my self correctly, I meant it more in terms of a personal statement. Plus, maybe 'very strong' was a bit pretentious I just didn't really pay attention.

Anyway, I should have two work experiences lined up, accepted into three taster courses for accounting and finance, running a sixthform newsletter, participating in youth council, and self-studying government and politics I think that's it atm though I have some previous things to talk about as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending