The Student Room Group

entry requirements

I need a bit of help i'm stuck on what to do!!
I've been completely effed over by my teachers as my grade averages in all of my subjects were A/Bs and although my school said they were gonna predict people 'aspirational grades' I've been predicted BCC solely because I messed up my mocks..
I want to apply for International Relations at preferably edinburgh, manchester, nottingham, leeds, sheffield etc. but because of my grades i'm unsure how to go about this..
I really do want to go to university and I'm also eligible for contextual offers due to my postcode, being on free school meals in the past, the first in my immediate family to go to university etc..
Please suggest how I could still get into a good uni without taking a gap year as i truly cannot afford that :frown:
Original post by s2106n
I need a bit of help i'm stuck on what to do!!
I've been completely effed over by my teachers as my grade averages in all of my subjects were A/Bs and although my school said they were gonna predict people 'aspirational grades' I've been predicted BCC solely because I messed up my mocks..
I want to apply for International Relations at preferably edinburgh, manchester, nottingham, leeds, sheffield etc. but because of my grades i'm unsure how to go about this..
I really do want to go to university and I'm also eligible for contextual offers due to my postcode, being on free school meals in the past, the first in my immediate family to go to university etc..
Please suggest how I could still get into a good uni without taking a gap year as i truly cannot afford that :frown:

Do you have the opportunity to get your predictions raised by improved performance in the first term of year 13?

Have you checked what the contextual offers are at the universities in which you're interested?

And in what way can't you afford a gap year?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Do you have the opportunity to get your predictions raised by improved performance in the first term of year 13?

Have you checked what the contextual offers are at the universities in which you're interested?

And in what way can't you afford a gap year?

Nope unfortunately my grades are stuck at BCC :frown:
for manchester the contextual is AAB
edinburgh is ABB
sheffield is ABB
notts is AAB
leeds is BBB ?? etc,
ill be entirely alone for my gap year so i'll have to fund myself entirely, also i want to see how far I can go with avoiding to gap year option - worst comes to worst I will take one but yk still gotta tryyy
Original post by s2106n
edinburgh is ABB
sheffield is ABB
notts is AAB
leeds is BBB ?? etc,
ill be entirely alone for my gap year so i'll have to fund myself entirely, also i want to see how far I can go with avoiding to gap year option - worst comes to worst I will take one but yk still gotta tryyy

you could get a part time job?
Depending on where you live you could do an access course so if you lived in Manchester it would reduce manchester to BBB etc
Reply 5
Original post by alevelstudent090
you could get a part time job?

yeah i could but i mean i'm just tryna see how much i could avoid a gap year, like i will take one if i absolutely need to but i just wanted to see what options i have with those grades, like is going somewhere like brighton and then moving after a year possible or is clearing easy to rely on? I don't really know how this stuff worksss
Original post by s2106n
yeah i could but i mean i'm just tryna see how much i could avoid a gap year, like i will take one if i absolutely need to but i just wanted to see what options i have with those grades, like is going somewhere like brighton and then moving after a year possible or is clearing easy to rely on? I don't really know how this stuff worksss

im sorry, my bad. i think either taking a gap year or going through clearing is your best bet. i don’t know much either but i do know that with clearing you could reduce the entry requirements i think so
Reply 7
no worriesss, thank you though!!
Original post by s2106n
edinburgh is ABB
sheffield is ABB
notts is AAB
leeds is BBB ?? etc,

That inflexibility is a bit rubbish. You are only halfway through the course.

If they won't budge even if your performance is clearly well above BCC then the choice appears to come down to attending a lower regarded university or a gap year. The latter isn't impossible from what you describe but will certainly involve getting a job.
Who is it that decides the predicted grades is it your class teacher or is it someone like the head of the department
If it is the teacher, then maybe consider speaking to another teacher in the department and prove the other grades you have and ask if they can help.
If the department made the decision maybe speak to your teacher as they would have known the other grades so know you could do better
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
That inflexibility is a bit rubbish. You are only halfway through the course.

If they won't budge even if your performance is clearly well above BCC then the choice appears to come down to attending a lower regarded university or a gap year. The latter isn't impossible from what you describe but will certainly involve getting a job.

Yeah it is rubbish :frown:

i think ill try to switch course throughout the years but i think im gonna have to settle for a lower standard uni unfortunately..
Thanks so much for ur response tho!!!
Reply 11
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Who is it that decides the predicted grades is it your class teacher or is it someone like the head of the department
If it is the teacher, then maybe consider speaking to another teacher in the department and prove the other grades you have and ask if they can help.
If the department made the decision maybe speak to your teacher as they would have known the other grades so know you could do better

No unfortunately my school have made it very clear that they're not changing a single grade for anyone whether i speak to my teacher or head of department it won't make a difference unfortunately..
Original post by s2106n
No unfortunately my school have made it very clear that they're not changing a single grade for anyone whether i speak to my teacher or head of department it won't make a difference unfortunately..

That sucks
Hope it all works out for yoy
Original post by s2106n
Yeah it is rubbish :frown:

i think ill try to switch course throughout the years but i think im gonna have to settle for a lower standard uni unfortunately..
Thanks so much for ur response tho!!!

There's always clearing as an option for getting into a 'better" university. Or do a master's later on.
Original post by s2106n

Clearing is always variable, what courses are there, how popular they are, these things change every year. It's basically impossible to predict.

Starting at a uni you have no intention of completing the course at is both shortsighted on the surface of it even if you aren't aware of the specific issues around that (you're still spending that year of time not at the uni of choice, so how is that a better alternative than a gap year) and can very easily cause much bigger issues by screwing up your SFE funding entitlement and landing yourself having to self fund one or more years of tuition fees out of pocket and/or limiting your options if the uni you're applying to expects a reference from your current uni or if you require a minimum 2:1 average or similar and you end up scraping a 2:2 because you're at a uni you have no interest in being at and are not engaging with the course as a result.

I don't know why school leavers seem to consider a gap year as a death sentence, nor why school leavers seem to think taking one more year to achieve something makes any difference in the grand scheme of things. The time is going to pass anyway, you may as well take the path of least resistance and have a gap year getting a bit of work (and hence work experience) and decompressing from the stress of A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending