The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I guess if you want to... looks a bit stuck up and oldy to me.. I wonder if they even have as many young members now as they did say 60 years ago.
Reply 2
Any reason in particular for choosing the EIC?

I suppose it'd probably be a novelty, and it's only a year's membership after all - depends if you can think of anything better to spend £200 on.

My main concern is that these clubs are social and yet unless you're extremely comfortable in the presence of older people, it may be rather awkward to fit in. I suppose if you think you can get a proposer etc, you probably already know people in the club anyway, so this point may be rather moot.

I'm hardly the more au fait with the London club scene however, being as I am a dull provincial.
Reply 3
Lib North
Any reason in particular for choosing the EIC?

I suppose it'd probably be a novelty, and it's only a year's membership after all - depends if you can think of anything better to spend £200 on.

The J7 scheme which means if you attend a public school (ahem) your head of school can reccommend you for membership at a seriously reduced rate for 7 years.

Following that the membership is for 7 years not 1 :wink:

I'd join, but I'm female and the womens' equivilent is literally a bunch of old ladies doing play readings.
Reply 4
tourist
The J7 scheme which means if you attend a public school (ahem) your head of school can reccommend you for membership at a seriously reduced rate for 7 years.

Oh right. I attended an HMC school myself... wonder if I can sneak my way in to something interesting...

Following that the membership is for 7 years not 1 :wink:

Can one negotiate ones way out of it?

I'd join, but I'm female and the womens' equivilent is literally a bunch of old ladies doing play readings.

Play readings? Fantastic - I've very much missed that sort of thing since I left school.
Reply 5
Lib North
Oh right. I attended an HMC school myself... wonder if I can sneak my way in to something interesting...

Can one negotiate ones way out of it?

If you didn't leave school more than 18 months ago then yes AFAIK.

I would assume one would just not attend?
Reply 6
tourist
If you didn't leave school more than 18 months ago then yes AFAIK.

Aw hell.
Reply 7
does everyone get recommended or is it just those the Master likes? also if its mens only club then....? or are you alloud to invite lady friends to go with you ?
Reply 8
See their website:

Ladies are very welcome as guests and may use the facilities within the Clubhouse as specified by the Bylaws.

Ladies are not permitted to use the Main Dining Room for luncheon Monday - Friday inclusive, as the Luncheon Room is available. They are welcome in the evenings with the appropriate dresswear.

Ladies are not permitted to use the American Bar Monday - Friday inclusive, as the Ladies Drawing Room is available during this time. Gentlemen are only permitted to use the Ladies Drawing Room when accompanied by or waiting for a lady.

The Smoking Room is not available to ladies.

Latest

Trending

Trending