Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)
    Yes
    79.24%
    No
    18.69%
    Undecided
    2.08%

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Positive discrimination is still racial discrimination.
    Sure, for justified reasons. It's not racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Individually - Yes

Institutionally - No.
    Basically this

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer a white person over a black person because you think that your firm would operate more cohesively, then that is racism.

If you prefer a black person over a white person because you think that you have too less black people, then that is not racism.
    Last thing I'm gonna say and if you don't understand then you're hopeless.

"If you prefer a white person over a black person because..." Doesn't matter = racial discrimination

"If you prefer a black person over a white person because..." Doesn't matter = racial discrimination

I'm being hypothetical with my talk of preference for white people for the sake of 'uniformity'. Unfortunately and immorally that isn't the case with preference for black people for the sake of 'diversity'.

(Original post by IAmNero)
    I regularly do use it around my black friends, and equally they call me racial slurs.

I think you know very little about the real world or real equality. How's Tumblr treating you?
    Your black friends arent black at all. If you were around my friends, you wouldnt even be on tsr atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Sure, for justified reasons. It's not racism.
    The reasons are not justified. I agree it is not strictly racism however it is just as wrong.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    The reasons are not justified. I agree it is not strictly racism however it is just as wrong.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
    It can be completely justified. There are plenty of ways that we discriminate for justified reasons, e.g. discriminating against people without a PhD if we're looking to fill a postdoctoral position. If we find that there is institutional racism that is unfairly discriminating against people of a certain race because of a predominantly white establishment - and whilst the intensity of this discrimination varies, it does exist - then introducing more concrete means to reverse this is justified.

The argument that it's not fair and unmeritocratic only works if you assume the system without positive discrimination is meritocratic in the first place... which isn't the case, as psychology proves due to the many biases that humans have. Positive discrimination is a tool we have to overcome these biases. It's an attempt to make the system more meritocratic, not less.

ReputationRep:
    And I have maintained that if it was on an individual basis, then your point has some merit.

If it was on an institutional level, then your point flies out of the shattered glass ceiling.
    Newspeak?

How do you determine what is at an 'institutional level', what is a 'glass ceiling'?

These are just abstract and non-existent terms used to justify any argument because no logical, scientific or quantitative data can disprove the existence of such concepts. It is pure fantasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldbangles)
    Look at your crummy little chart lol

Firstly that's from US, and it's from 2004, economic trends always vary over the years. Who's also to say it's credible source. You just googled and pasted the first chart you saw, huh? You are an embarrassment to any chance that your statements could be valid.
    Actaully you simply have to google it yourself and see any chart you like.

You clearly have no idea how debate or factual evidence works.

ReputationRep:
    Saying that all white people are racist to black people is in itself racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Your black friends arent black at all. If you were around my friends, you wouldnt even be on tsr atm
    Your black friends are black because my friends wouldn't agree. You are winning logic my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It can be completely justified. There are plenty of ways that we discriminate for justified reasons, e.g. discriminating against people without a PhD if we're looking to fill a postdoctoral position. If we find that there is institutional racism that is unfairly discriminating against people of a certain race because of a predominantly white establishment - and whilst the intensity of this discrimination varies, it does exist - then introducing more concrete means to reverse this is justified.

The argument that it's not fair and unmeritocratic only works if you assume the system without positive discrimination is meritocratic in the first place... which isn't the case, as psychology proves due to the many biases that humans have. Positive discrimination is a tool we have to overcome these biases. It's an attempt to make the system more meritocratic, not less.
    I'm not sure you actually understand what positive discrimination is. It is only to do with race and gender. So that renders your example of PhDs completely irrelevant.

It is not justified in the UK, in fact it is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Tumblr Mode Activated

"We shouldn't employ women because it would destroy our hegemony".

"We shouldn't employ POC because it would destroy out hegemony".

You need to start seeing beyond gender and skin colour and see everyone as being adequately qualified, instead of thinking negatively about what would happen if you employed a woman or POC.
    As far as I can see it's a simple fix. Leave gender and race off the application, of course that leaves the name issue, but I wouldn't think that's the key area an employer would look at.

ReputationRep:
    Institutionally - No.
    Try telling that to white farmers in Zimbabwe.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Tumblr Mode Activated

"We shouldn't employ women because it would destroy our hegemony".

"We shouldn't employ POC because it would destroy out hegemony".

You need to start seeing beyond gender and skin colour and see everyone as being adequately qualified, instead of thinking negatively about what would happen if you employed a woman or POC.
    Bizarre accusations from a deranged lunatic. There is no hegemony, there's no conspiracy. You are simply absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    I was in a debate in an A level history class, and a student claimed that you could not be racist to a white person because white people have not experienced systemic opression.
    What is systemic oppression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    What is systemic oppression?
    Institutional Oppression is the systematic mistreatment of people within a social identity group, supported and enforced by the society and its institutions, solely based on the person's membership in the social identity group.

(Not my definition)

ReputationRep:
    How is that even possible? White colonists and their children (today) enforce Eurocentric beauty and superiority so how in the world can you be racist towards them? That is so funny LOL :clap2: I voted no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldbangles)
    Still boggles my mind that white people are in Zimbabwe. Not even black people want to be there.
    Ummm, have you even been there in your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    How is that even possible? White colonists and their children (today) enforce Eurocentric beauty and superiority so how in the world can you be racist towards them? That is so funny LOL :clap2: I voted no
    So the 120 million whites enslaved by Arabs wasn't racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    And proved you don't understand what racism is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.