The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Law School Dundee vs Aberdeen

Hey guys,

So I have a huge dilemma which one to firm... I have an uncon for Dundee and a con for Aberdeen - both to do Scots and English LLB.
That being said however I do not know which is the better option ? What do you guys think ?
I know that Aberdeen is highly regarded though I believe that the law library is ridiculously outdated whilst at the same time I am not too keen on Dundee as a city itself (I do prefer Aberdeen).

Any comments are kindly appreciated ! Also if you study in either can you tell me what you find it to be like
Cheers folks
I don't know about Scotland, but I highly doubt any English employer thinks one is better than the other. Look at course structure and choose whichever degree has the modules you're most interested in. Even though the degrees are in the same subject, there are probably differences, especially in the optional modules available.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Hey!

I have an unconditional for Dundee university to study Scots law. It has always been my first choice, it has great student feedback. You could pop along to university open days to meet staff and current students. Dundee as a city is not too bad, there is lots of things to do. There are plenty of things to do in surrounding areas, also. I am moving to St Andrews in the summer which is nearby, it's a beautiful part of the country.

:smile:
I was originally studying Law at Aberdeen, I didn't like the course or the university. I transferred to Dundee Law School last year and have loved every minute since.

As far as I'm aware the 'LLB with English Law' program isn't actually dual-qualifying, so I would be careful and do a lot of research. I went to Aberdeen and was on the 'LLB with English Law' course in its' first year. The Dundee one definitely is, but it does restrict your options with regards to module choices.
Hey guys sorry for not responding completely forgot about this and I didn't get a notification ...

Original post by Snufkin
I don't know about Scotland, but I highly doubt any English employer thinks one is better than the other. Look at course structure and choose whichever degree has the modules you're most interested in. Even though the degrees are in the same subject, there are probably differences, especially in the optional modules available.

I have had a look and decided on Dundee since it felt more homely and friendlier than Aberdeen :smile: However, I did take your point into a account that if I move down to England then there won't be too much of a difference between the two since they're not that huge .

Original post by Sophs1994
Hey!

I have an unconditional for Dundee university to study Scots law. It has always been my first choice, it has great student feedback. You could pop along to university open days to meet staff and current students. Dundee as a city is not too bad, there is lots of things to do. There are plenty of things to do in surrounding areas, also. I am moving to St Andrews in the summer which is nearby, it's a beautiful part of the country.

:smile:

Hey ! Well I that case we will be in the same class :smile: I have firmed Dundee soon after going to an open day and it was so much better than Aberdeen. Like when I went to Aberdeen it felt like you were meant to have basic knowledge of the law which I didn't like. Besides it felt like they were trying to act like a rip-off Oxford... haha

Original post by david9640
I was originally studying Law at Aberdeen, I didn't like the course or the university. I transferred to Dundee Law School last year and have loved every minute since.

As far as I'm aware the 'LLB with English Law' program isn't actually dual-qualifying, so I would be careful and do a lot of research. I went to Aberdeen and was on the 'LLB with English Law' course in its' first year. The Dundee one definitely is, but it does restrict your options with regards to module choices.

Hey, well I did firm Dundee and extremely excited for it ! As I said in the above two - it felt like home haha. Also the professors seem nicer and more approachable. I didn't know however about that English law aspect for Aberdeen uni ? I thought it was also dual qualifying. Wow glad I didnt choose it then. Do you mind telling me a few things about the course what it looks like and what the feedback is like from the lecturers ? Thanks :smile:
That's great, I think you made the right choice. Yeah I'm assuming we'll be class mates. Cant wait to start! :smile:
Original post by david9640
Hi! Sorry, I didn't realise you had replied!

First year is quite broad, so you'll study Contract Law, Delict, Criminal Law, as well as a bit of EU, Human Rights Law and wider Constitutional type law. You begin to go into more depth in the following years.

A lot of the modules are taught from a UK rather than Scottish perspective so that they are suitable for people wishing to qualify into either jurisdiction or both.

Feedback depends on the module leader. Some are excellent, some modules require you to bring pre-prepared answers to tutorials, discuss these with the tutor, who then takes your answer away and provides feedback (Professor Ferguson's module). Others only require you to prepare for tutorials, and the feedback is pretty much you realising how much you understood from what was said, whether you struggled to answer questions, and so on.

For some of the modules with assessed coursework the feedback isn't the best, but the various lecturers make time for people to visit their office and talk about how well they've done. And anyway, you can drop by during their office hours to talk to them during the week about most things. I would say that the approachability of the staff is one of the best things about Dundee Law School.

Oh no don't worry - for the past months I haven't been really checking TSR ! :smile: Thank you so much for the reply it gives me a slight insight as to what to expect :biggrin: One more question how does it work with books ? Is it better to buy them all or just get the necessary ones and the rest borrow from the library ? Also did you get like law dictionaries etc ? :biggrin:

Sorry about further question but I'm not sure what to do on that front hahah

Original post by Sophs1994
That's great, I think you made the right choice. Yeah I'm assuming we'll be class mates. Cant wait to start! :smile:

Yeah :smile: Really looking forward for it now haha! So glad all stuff to do with uni halls, saas, ucas etc is now done :biggrin: Just the matter of counting down weeks before September :smile:
Original post by guzz6
Oh no don't worry - for the past months I haven't been really checking TSR ! :smile: Thank you so much for the reply it gives me a slight insight as to what to expect :biggrin: One more question how does it work with books ? Is it better to buy them all or just get the necessary ones and the rest borrow from the library ? Also did you get like law dictionaries etc ? :biggrin:

Sorry about further question but I'm not sure what to do on that front hahah

I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I would suggest buying he statute books, and what seems like the most important book for each module. But I wouldn't panic because the law library is quite well stocked and if all the copies of a particular book have been taken out, then there are many more on an given topic.

As an aside, I found the LawBasics series (available in the library) to be particularly helpful in first year. What I would do is read the relevant part of, for example, 'Delict Basics' by G.Cameron, until I fully understood the simple stuff (before going to lectures), then work my way though the key text for the module, while taking out a few library books to help me understand.

I know that seems like a lot of work, but it works out at maybe 4/5 hours a week on top of lectures if you just take things at a gentle pace.
Original post by guzz6
Hey guys,

So I have a huge dilemma which one to firm... I have an uncon for Dundee and a con for Aberdeen - both to do Scots and English LLB.
That being said however I do not know which is the better option ? What do you guys think ?
I know that Aberdeen is highly regarded though I believe that the law library is ridiculously outdated whilst at the same time I am not too keen on Dundee as a city itself (I do prefer Aberdeen).

Any comments are kindly appreciated ! Also if you study in either can you tell me what you find it to be like
Cheers folks

Just curious, but would you mind telling me what grades you got at Higher (S5 and S6)? I am interested in the course here at Dundee and wondered what realistic entry requirements are like. Thanks
Hey guys, i'm also very much interested in Dundee University. As I am not from EU or UK, my question is can I work there to support my studies and to meet the living costs on working on my own?
Original post by username749877

Hi,

Just for anyone else who comes across this thread, the Law with English Law course at Aberdeen is dual qualifying: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/education/aberdeen-offering-llb-law-with-english-law-degree-1-3121578/amp
Hi Folks - can you please advise ? I am starting law at Aberdeen this September. Is it possible to transfer to Dundee for 2nd and susequent years ? My partner is moving to Dundee and it would make life/commuting a lot easier. Did i read somewhere that Dundee do not take Law transfers ? thanks in advance Al
Original post by Atranton05
Hi Folks - can you please advise ? I am starting law at Aberdeen this September. Is it possible to transfer to Dundee for 2nd and susequent years ? My partner is moving to Dundee and it would make life/commuting a lot easier. Did i read somewhere that Dundee do not take Law transfers ? thanks in advance Al

Hi Al, just in case you miss it I've gotten you a response to this question in the thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=98682177#post98682177

All the best with finding an answer!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi Al, just in case you miss it I've gotten you a response to this question in the thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=98682177#post98682177

All the best with finding an answer!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Thanks Matthew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending