The Student Room Group

What are your parents' views on gay people?

Now that there's been a terrorist attack in the US that has targeted gay people, it is clear that the issue of LGBT people and discrimination against them is going to be on the news again.

So I was just wondering what the older generation (our parents) feel about homosexuality, gay people and the LGBT movement? What do they think of homosexuality and the other parts of LGBT?

Scroll to see replies

Neither of my parents are homophobic, I'm happy to say. My mum works with colleagues who are homosexual at her job and she doesn't mind it, and my dad just isn't bothered really :smile:
Reply 2
my dad supports any sexuality
my mum is closed minded
Reply 3
Myself and my parents just don't really care about it.
My mum doesn't care in the slightest works with gay people, is friends with gay people and has even told me and my siblings she won't mind if we tell her we're gay!

My dad says he doesn't care what two consenting adults do behind closed doors but he does have a really of complex view homosexuality as a concept though because his best friend as a teenager through to university and right up until about the age of 28 died from AIDS and was one of the very first in the UK to do so, before anyone even knew what it was. He always said he felt a bit of complex resentment at his friend because he thinks if he hadn't been gay he would still be here but at the same time he still loved his friend for who he was :frown: So yeah
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
My mum doesn't like them at all.
My dad is tolerant towards them though
My mum is tolerant but deep down, I know she's uncomfortable with them.
My dad is also tolerant but holds many internalised prejudices. He thinks anything other than heterosexuality is a result of sexual abuse as a child. That's his rationalisation for the existence of homosexuality. I genuinely believe he's repressing his own homosexual curiosities because he's obsessed with drag queens, shows about gay people and ladyboys. Yet insults them constantly.
Reply 7
Mum laughs innocently when she she's guys/girls kissing same gender. Dad also laughs which is much better than he was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My parents are both 100% against homosexuality and homosexual marriage. I'm sure my parents would never attack a gay person but if someone they knew told them they were gay they would definitely try to encourage them to give up that lifestyle. If my parents saw a gay parade or something like that on TV they would change the channel because they find it burn uncomfortable.
(edited 7 years ago)
my mum says she's tolerant but i know she's not. she'd never be hateful towards gays, but i know she personally finds it ''disgusting''
and my dad is completely against homosexuality.

sigh.

can't wait to come out to them!
My mom isn't overly bothered about them, but my dad does not like them.
Both absolutely fine with it. My uncle and cousin are gay and my entire family are 100% supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents are super religious muslims (dad is an ex-imam), they're not bothered, it doesn't affect them and they taught us to mind our own business, surprisingly, this attitude is prevalent in a lot of muslim countries, they wont legalise it the same way they wont legalise alcohol, but no-one really care, my dad grew up in a small backwards village in pakistan and he had a friend there who was gay, everybody knew, noone bothered they just let him be. Recently I visited my mums country (an arab one) and the attitude was the same, noone cared they all had gay mates, i think thats why my parents have the same 'whatever not out business do you' attitude.
I think my dad is tolerant. My mum probably less so butvthese things are not discussed in my family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents (and grandparents, actually) couldn't care less what people's sexuality is. Which is a good thing, as most of my male friends are gay :tongue:

My boyfriend's parents are, surprisingly, the same, despite both growing up in religious Irish families.
Original post by hoping4thebest
Now that there's been a terrorist attack in the US that has targeted gay people, it is clear that the issue of LGBT people and discrimination against them is going to be on the news again.

So I was just wondering what the older generation (our parents) feel about homosexuality, gay people and the LGBT movement? What do they think of homosexuality and the other parts of LGBT?

My mum isn't too impressed by homosexuals at all, I don't know what my dad thinks tbh, I never see him to ask him
Original post by EllainKahlo
My mum is tolerant but deep down, I know she's uncomfortable with them.
My dad is also tolerant but holds many internalised prejudices. He thinks anything other than heterosexuality is a result of sexual abuse as a child. That's his rationalisation for the existence of homosexuality. I genuinely believe he's repressing his own homosexual curiosities because he's obsessed with drag queens, shows about gay people and ladyboys. Yet insults them constantly.

:rofl: that last bit about him actually being obsessed with drag queens haha
My mum thinks it's all funny and strange and goes 'what??? Why are there men kissing each other? That's not normal!'
It was the worst when they found out a distant relative had married a man and they were living together, like a normal couple, and she thought it was disgusting.

I don't think my dad has an opinion on them.
Original post by Little Popcorns
:rofl: that last bit about him actually being obsessed with drag queens haha

He always has an excuse when I catch him watching yet another carnival for drag-queens. His recent obsession is RuPaul's Drag Race. If he really found such 'abnormal' people so reprehensible, he wouldn't support them by watching these shows religiously lol
Dad pretends not to be that bothered but obviously isn't a fan of it as he questions whether my brothers gay just for hanging around with his mates haha. My mums not really interested and just treats them like every other person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending