The Student Room Group

Why aren't you a feminist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Reality Check
Tools don't often come lady-sized?

I thought it was because they don't come in pink
Original post by CptConnor
Well there is a fine line between being a Feminist and what a lot of people call a Feminazi.

Feminist, I've got no problems with that along with most of the public. Fighting for equal rights with everything from treatment to payrolls e.t.c

But I guess the other, more extreme, branches of Feminism where these 'Feminazis' go out of their way to not only fight for equal right but shame males for being a disgrace, for being filthy scum - you've probably seen the videos or read the articles.

So I guess people could be afraid of being branded as this type of Feminist rather than the more peaceful, reasonable Feminist.Thats my opinion on it either way, feel free to criticize it. :P

Yep I agree with that completely I even herd one feminazi once say that women should have more rights than men um why?

also on the shaming thing why should I be shamed called a disgrace or filthy scum because i have a cock.

but equal rights and pay and all that women should be exactly equal to men in everything be it pay or bad things like prison sentences.
Original post by gsimona
I would like to know why people WOULDN'T consider themselves to be a feminist, boys and girls! If you could leave a few reasons why you feel that way in the comments that would be great and so interesting! Thank you! x

because I'm not fat x
I might have called myself one 60 years ago, but not now. Especially not in the West. Equality has more-or-less been achieved, and feminism in its current state is flirting dangerously with female sepremacy. Nowadays it all seems to be about giving women the special treatment and exaggerating the 'plight' of women living cushy, privileged Western lives.

Im also pretty tired of the misleading statistics, rhetoric, and downright lies espoused by 'pop' feminism (tumblr, Jezebel, etc.). No, 4 in 5 college men aren't going to rape you tomorrow, and that harmless videogame with sexy female characters isn't oppressing anyone. I swear these so-called journalists and culture critics have run out of things to whine about. They're spiraling into a world of pure, paranoid fantasy.

Then there's what I like to call 'virtue feminism.' The pretentious, self-congratulatory kind which is actually pretty awful. For example, Emma Watson's HeForShe campaign; something so ironically sexist it's insulting. HeForShe was supposed to be about gender equality, but only strives to help women (I guess the clue was in the name). Money will be raised for starving, uneducated girls in Africa, but their equally starving, uneducated child soldier brothers won't get a dime, because they're not girls. Equality, y'all!

And then there's the quotas. 'Equal outcome feminism.' Just no. Stop hiring people because they're women. It flies in the face of egalitarianism and meritocracy. It's also quite patronising.

I've only scratched the surface.
Original post by IRoranth
Lol, says the individual who claims feminists believe the movement doesn't cater for mens rights.

Stop digging yourself a hole.

Well it doesnt and ive already proved that and all youve said is "K."

Give up idiot.
Femenism = Cancer. They say they want equality but instead they're like ''All men must die!''.
Reply 66
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a female and apart from issues such as the pay gap etc between women and men, most of the issues that feminists want to tackle don't really irritate me enough to care tbh.

There isn't a pay gap as it is presented men and women get paid the same for equal work but when you compare against a wide range of jobs then it isn't equal work
coz you Cant Bring Me Down

Spoiler

Reply 68
When one of the most is air conditioning is set to cold for women turn it up so men can suffer then it shows it isn't working for everyone especially as women can put warmer clothes on but if men take clothes off it's rape culture.
Because I disagree with a lot of what they say (feminist theory to be honest). My mum is a borderline feminist, and I say borderline because she doesn't even mention half of what the current lot say (not even close). And that says something about the current movement. There are problems they are looking to solve, I can understand that, but as far as the Western world goes feminism is not the right way to solve them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because I'm an egalitarian! Equality of both sexes- not just how the world impacts females aaaah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending