What is Fat Acceptance and is it a legitimate movement?

ReputationRep:
    There was a small demonstration at University today calling themselves "Fat Pride".

I don't understand why someone would be proud of being fat?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. It's an ruse whereby tubs of lard can delude themselves into believing that being clinically obese is perfectly acceptable and without any consequences, and people should just 'get over it'. Whilst shoving chips into their faces. When they develop osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, they'll still be there, gobbling down chocolates and berating people for not 'accepting their choices' whilst simultaneously expecting those people to pay for their NHS joint replacements because they are by that point too fat and too depressed to work and pay into the health system that's the only thing keeping them from the grave.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    God only knows, and most likely not. Soon opinions will be banned on anything and everything! Welcome to progressivism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Exactly. It's an ruse whereby tubs of lard can delude themselves into believing that being clinically obese is perfectly acceptable and without any consequences, and people should just 'get over it'. Whilst shoving chips into their faces. When they develop osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, they'll still be there, gobbling down chocolates and berating people for not 'accepting their choices' whilst simultaneously expecting those people to pay for their NHS joint replacements because they are by that point too fat and too depressed to work and pay into the health system that's the only thing keeping them from the grave.
    savage.

I don't mind tubbies myself, as long as they don't sweat too much near me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    God only knows, and most likely not. Soon opinions will be banned on anything and everything! Welcome to progressivism
    Just...how...? pls teach me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Perhaps you'd be so kind as to expand on this query

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    There was a small demonstration at University today calling themselves "Fat Pride".

I don't understand why someone would be proud of being fat?
    Our society tells us to feel good about ourselves, no matter what. We're bombarded with this crap. Fat people don't want to be exceptions, unfortunately not realising that having masses of excess adipose tissue isn't actually just a natural body type, but a very dangerous disease.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a fat person currently i think it's mainly women who have given up and bought into the feminist rubbish that they should never be critisized.

ReputationRep:
    It's because of the social justice movement and the vocal nature of the left wing that encourages empowerment and equality on all sides. Nothing inherently wrong with that, except the issue is that all that comes from this is whites speaking for minorities instead of letting them be more independent and ironically, not letting them represent themselves. The only group that genuinely seems stronger due to this movement is fat people.

Fat people are entitled and selfish people who won't accept that we want to help them get better. They're afflicted by their inability to control what they eat or exercise, grotesquely deforming them and making them increasingly less attractive and likeable. They feel as if rolls of fat are "curves" and men should like "curvy" women because nothing else is acceptable, because women are skinny-*****es otherwise. I feel as if hamplanets need disempowerment and a wake-up call.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why someone would be proud of being black, or white, or bisexual, or British. But it's their life so if that makes them happy, great. :dontknow:

Spoken as a non "greedy, can't control what I eat, do no exercise" but still fat person.

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit stupid really, i mostly think its down to trying to get some attention
    Admittedly i am overweight, not massively but not in a good way, and i am definitely not proud of it
    However I actually am trying to lose weight rather than trying to make myself and other people beleive it is ok because really it is not
    The main issue i have with it is not what people think about it but how it affects my health and ability to do things
    Its really nothing to be proud of and they need to get their act together

ReputationRep:
    Semi-serious trolling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Semi-serious trolling?
    You know it babes.

ReputationRep:
    You know it babes.

ReputationRep:
    Only thing they have to be proud of is being a role model of what no one should become.

ReputationRep:
    FAT = Factory Acceptance Test

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope they're proud of themselves when they're dying in a hospital bed at the age of 40.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.