The Student Room Group

History Applicants for 2017 Entry Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Applying for History and Spanish joint honours @ manchester,newcastle, nottingham, not sure where else yet, applying next week.
As- ABBB
A2 predictions- ABB
Hopefully get an offer. Manchester my fav.
Any other joint honours applicants here?
Original post by Bella909
Applied to Oxford and Exeter for History and Politics, UCL for History, Kings College London and LSE for History and International Relations
So far have only had confirmation emails-suspense is killing me!

Remember - you could wait until March/April to get a decision.
Original post by jmalley1
Ahhhhh I know the feeling! I've had an offer and a rejection so far - and I'm dying to hear from Edinburgh!!

Can't cope with waiting :frown:

I know its awful, well done on your offer! Who is it for?
Reply 23
Original post by Bella909
I know its awful, well done on your offer! Who is it for?

Unconditional for History/Sociology at Glasgow :smile:
How are Oxford people getting on with HAT prep😨
Hello international student here

(i)GCSE's: 2 A*'s, 2 A's, 4 B's
Predicted IB: 38 (766)
Edin and UCl for history, SOAS, Exeter and UEA (offer) for history and IR
I can't wait to hear from edin its my top choice
I'm hoping to do a single honours in History

GCSE: 2As, 7Bs
AS: BBCC
A2 (predicted): ABB
Applying: Birmingham, Queen Mary's UOL, Royal Holloway (received conditional offer) , Goldsmiths and Keele.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by kathleenodonovan
Applying for History and Spanish joint honours @ manchester,newcastle, nottingham, not sure where else yet, applying next week.
As- ABBB
A2 predictions- ABB
Hopefully get an offer. Manchester my fav.
Any other joint honours applicants here?

I've applied for History and Sociology. I would of loved to study a language with History! I so nearly applied for History and French - but Sociology won!
Gcse results:
2 As, 7 Bs and 2 Cs

AS results:
ABC

A2 predictions:
A*BB

Hoping to study history/ancient history at the following unis:
Southampton, Royal Holloway, Kent, Goldsmiths

Most require AAB-ABB grades
Course: History
GCSE's: 10 A*'s
AS Levels: AAAA
Predicted A Levels: A*A*A*
Applying: Birmingham, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham, and Warwick
Offers: Unconditional for Birmingham, A*AA for Exeter, AAA for Warwick
Those grades are impressive omg! Are your offers conditional or unconditional?

Conditional sadly :frown: unis i've applied to rarely give out unconditional
GCSE's: 5A*, 4A, 1B
AS: AAAB
A2(predicted): A*AAApplying: UCL, Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds

My application was only officially processed and sent off today! I'm on the edge of my seat rn to hear back :tongue:
Reply 32
I'm pure history!

Predicted A level grades: A*A*A
AS grades: AAAA
GCSEs: (not the best but I'm good at what I'm good at, have come into my own at a level....) 5A*s, 2As, 2Bs & 1C

Applied to:
Cambridge, Durham, Manchester (offer), Birmingham (unconditional offer), Royal Holloway (unconditional offer)

nb, any other cambridge historians that did the pre-int assessment today?
(edited 7 years ago)
Scottish applicant here! :smile:
Subject applying- history single honours.
Highers from S5- AABB
Currently studying advanced higher history, another higher and a nat 5.
Universities applying to- Edinburgh, St Andrews, Stirling, Glasgow and either Durham or Aberdeen.

Would have liked to do combined honours but couldn't choose a course to combine it with aha. :tongue:
Really struggling with personal statement though, it's not a specific era of history course im applying to so there's a bit about one countries history and then the next paragraph is like a completely different era of history. Feels like they don't connect at all, anyone else had that problem? :frown:
Original post by sophienb98
Hello international student here

(i)GCSE's: 2 A*'s, 2 A's, 4 B's
Predicted IB: 38 (766)
Edin and UCl for history, SOAS, Exeter and UEA (offer) for history and IR
I can't wait to hear from edin its my top choice

Heard back from edinburgh for history and soas now!
Reply 35
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Scottish applicant here! :smile:
Subject applying- history single honours.
Highers from S5- AABB
Currently studying advanced higher history, another higher and a nat 5.
Universities applying to- Edinburgh, St Andrews, Stirling, Glasgow and either Durham or Aberdeen.

Would have liked to do combined honours but couldn't choose a course to combine it with aha. :tongue:
Really struggling with personal statement though, it's not a specific era of history course im applying to so there's a bit about one countries history and then the next paragraph is like a completely different era of history. Feels like they don't connect at all, anyone else had that problem? :frown:

I didn't make my PS as specific as that. I suppose everybody will have a different approach. Personally, I spoke more about History in general instead of writing about certain periods, because I felt like that would narrow down what I was able to say since you only have so many lines. Of course I talked about how I love Scottish History - but I made it a lot more open than talking about periods of History.
I'm also a joint honours appilicant so I talked about Sociology and linked the two - but if you're a single honours applicant you won't have that aspect. :smile:
Original post by Shadow Hunters

Really struggling with personal statement though, it's not a specific era of history course im applying to so there's a bit about one countries history and then the next paragraph is like a completely different era of history. Feels like they don't connect at all, anyone else had that problem?

If it reads like an essay - or chunks of an essay - then you are doing it wrong. You should only mention anything if you have an opinion about it, or the way historians have discussed it. Just chuntering on about your A level course work as a list of 'I've studied this stuff and that stuff' is not what they are looking for. It needs 'I think', 'I believe' type statements.

They want to see that you have 'engaged' with 'historiography' (the way history is studied) and/or that you are actively engaged in history/heritage in a practical way beyond just reading about it. Above all you need to answer the question 'I want to spend the next 3 years studying history at a much higher level because....'.

PS. If the whole idea of 'historiography' is new to you then see if you can find a copy of this book : https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills-Jeremy-Black/1403987343 as it explains it really clearly.
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't make my PS as specific as that. I suppose everybody will have a different approach. Personally, I spoke more about History in general instead of writing about certain periods, because I felt like that would narrow down what I was able to say since you only have so many lines. Of course I talked about how I love Scottish History - but I made it a lot more open than talking about periods of History.
I'm also a joint honours appilicant so I talked about Sociology and linked the two - but if you're a single honours applicant you won't have that aspect. :smile:

Thanks for your reply, I'll take the advice on board, I just got my personal statement back from my teacher to improve.
And I can imagine history and sociology mix well as subjects! :smile: I woulda combined it with geography but I decided to just do modules in geography at first and if I like it I'll try and change course. :smile:
Original post by returnmigrant
If it reads like an essay - or chunks of an essay - then you are doing it wrong. You should only mention anything if you have an opinion about it, or the way historians have discussed it. Just chuntering on about your A level course work as a list of 'I've studied this stuff and that stuff' is not what they are looking for. It needs 'I think', 'I believe' type statements.

They want to see that you have 'engaged' with 'historiography' (the way history is studied) and/or that you are actively engaged in history/heritage in a practical way beyond just reading about it. Above all you need to answer the question 'I want to spend the next 3 years studying history at a much higher level because....'.

PS. If the whole idea of 'historiography' is new to you then see if you can find a copy of this book : https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills-Jeremy-Black/1403987343 as it explains it really clearly.

Thanks for the help! Eh, yeah I get what you mean but it's hard to fit all I want to write in the character limit. :smile: I have gotten some ideas from this so I appreciate you taking the time. :biggrin:
GCSE's: 1A*, 1As, 2Bs, 5Cs
AS: AAA
A2 predicted:A*AA
Applying: Cardiff (Firm- conditional AAB), Royal Holloway (Conditional offer ABB- declined), Aberyswyth (conditional offer BBB- declined), and Winchester (Insurance- conditional BBB)

I'm hopefully doing Ancient and Medieval History (Cardiff), or History and the Medieval World (Winchester)! Any other medieval applicants here?!

My GSCE results were truly awful so I actually dropped out of sixth form originally because I thought I'd never get into Uni- over the moon with my results! Everyone be confident, I'm sure you'll all get the grades you need!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending