The Student Room Group

Can I still go to Oxbridge?

Hi, I got a 4 in math's (Doing an AS to make up for the grade and im currently predicted an A)
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..

I really would like to go to Oxbridge to study Law but I'm fearful because of my GCSE grades as they are lower than the average successful applicant.. Is there still a chance.. I've also been practicing the LNAT and I'm doing quite well at the moment and above all I'm predicted all A's in my a levels Economics, psychology and Business studies and an EPQ
(edited 11 months ago)
Oxford and Cambridge require at least an AAA or A*AA at A-Level to study Law. Are you sure you can get that?
Reply 2
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
Hi, I got a 4 in math's (Doing an AS to make up for the grade and im currently predicted an A)
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..

I really would like to go to Oxbridge to study Law but I'm fearful because of my GCSE grades as they are lower than the average successful applicant.. Is there still a chance.. I've also been practicing the LNAT and I'm doing quite well at the moment and above all I'm predicted all A's in my a levels Economics, psychology and Business studies and an EPQ

Sorry to be blunt, but almost certainly no for Oxford and highly unlikely for Cambridge. For Cambridge you would also need a high LNAT score and A*AA min, although to have a realistic chance, you would need A*A*A min. The fact that you are not doing English, History, a language or Maths might also count against you, as per the following extract from the Cambridge website:

Typical Law entrants (A Level and IB)

For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of applicants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A (62% of entrants). These successful applicants typically took at least one of English (Language, Language & Literature, or Literature, 86%), History, or a language. All remaining entrants took Mathematics and at least one of the ‘good choice combination subjects’ recommended by Subject Matters.* 9% of students admitted from A Level background took Law. For the same period, the majority of IB entrants attained at least 43 points overall and/or grades 777 at Higher Level.
Reply 3
Original post by melancollege
Oxford and Cambridge require at least an AAA or A*AA at A-Level to study Law. Are yoI was like 1 and 2 marks ofu sure you can get that?

I was like 1 or 2 marks off an A* for 2 of my subjects for my recent mocks
Reply 4
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..

Well tbh from what I heard from cambs and past students is that gcse grades do matter but not as much. If u can score high grades in a level/as and get the entry requirements u still have a chance. And that ur subjects are what's needed for the course. They do look at gcse to see how u do academically but it doesn't affect it much. Don't stress too much abt it xx
Atlease try ur best and know u did ur best and apply to there. If u never apply, u would have never given urself the chance. I'm a cambs local so I don't know much abt Oxford sorry but I assume it's similar xx
So best of luck
- Tricia
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Trickia
Well tbh from what I heard from cambs and past students is that gcse grades do matter but not as much. If u can score high grades in a level/as and get the entry requirements u still have a chance. And that ur subjects are what's needed for the course. They do look at gcse to see how u do academically but it doesn't affect it much. Don't stress too much abt it xx
Atlease try ur best and know u did ur best and apply to there. If u never apply, u would have never given urself the chance. I'm a cambs local so I don't know much abt Oxford sorry but I assume it's similar xx
So best of luck
- Tricia

Thank you so much, this was really helpful
Reply 6
Your welcome happy to help
Reply 7
Original post by Trickia
Your welcome happy to help

BTW I got some info that Oxford looks more at gcses then cambs so it may affect but don't worry to much! Maybe ask some other ppl about Oxford xx
Honestly, Im not sure they are good enough for Oxford or for Cambridge. The average applicant will have all 8s and 9s and some 7s. Whilst Oxford look at gcses more than Cambridge, Cambridge definitely do still care, and if you have a similar personal statement and interview performance, gcses will be used as a deciding factor, as they show how you ACTUALLY perform in exams (as opposed to predicted grades which can be distorted)
Reply 9
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..

Your GCSE grades are too low for Oxford and you'll need at least one A* prediction for Cambridge. Economics and BS isn't a great combination either ... many schools don't allow them to be taken together.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/law_subject_requirements.pdf
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
Your GCSE grades are too low for Oxford and you'll need at least one A* prediction for Cambridge. Economics and BS isn't a great combination either ... many schools don't allow them to be taken together.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/law_subject_requirements.pdf

Agreed with the a level thingy, check entry requirements v important

Quick Reply

Latest