The Student Room Group

Cambridge Archaeology degree

I’m currently in year 12 and when I finish my a levels I hope to study archaeology at uni, one of my choices being Cambridge but I don’t know if my subjects would be good for it as on the website whilst it says no preferred or required subjects, there’s a box of what applicants typically study and I don’t do any of those subjects (history, English lit, maths etc)

I take A level Classical Civilisation, sociology and government and politics.
I’m wondering if there’s still a point in applying or if my subjects would be good for the course anyway?
Reply 1
Original post by B.kira
I’m currently in year 12 and when I finish my a levels I hope to study archaeology at uni, one of my choices being Cambridge but I don’t know if my subjects would be good for it as on the website whilst it says no preferred or required subjects, there’s a box of what applicants typically study and I don’t do any of those subjects (history, English lit, maths etc)

I’m wondering if there’s still a point in applying or if my subjects would be good for the course anyway?

I’d say all of ur subjects relate in some way to archaeology, so go for it! Make sure you show interest for the historical and even technical/biological side of archeology in ur personal statement, and you’ll stand a good chance of getting in. Hope this helps 🙂
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by B.kira

Typical Archaeology entrants (A Level)
[start]For 2017, 2018, and 2019 entry, the majority of Archaeology entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*AA. These successful applicants typically took at least one of English (Language, Language & Literature, or Literature), History, or a language (79% of entrants). *All remaining Archaeology entrants took at least one of Mathematics or the ‘good choice combination subjects’ recommended by Subject Matters*. 53% took at least one maths or science subject and 15% had just maths or science A Levels.*[/start]
[start]This information is intended to give you a sense of the academic standard of our typical A Level entrants. We welcome applicants from a range of qualification backgrounds.[/start]
[start]* Ancient History, Classical Civilisation, Economics, Further Mathematics, Geography, Politics, History of Art, Law, Music, Philosophy, Psychology, Religious Studies, sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) or Sociology.[/start]

Your subjects are on the list of acceptable subjects, so don't worry. Please, go ahead an apply to Cambridge University.

Also it says in the Cambridge University prospectus:

Subject requirements
[start]Required:*No specific subjects required by any College Useful preparation: Any combination of subjects, which could include arts, humanities, sciences or social sciences[/start]

So you are perfectly qualified to make a Cambridge University UCAS Application.

Also remember, you will have space for a second Personal Statement in "My Cambridge" application form too.
Reply 3
Original post by B.kira

I'm a little late to comment but 100% apply. I'm here at the moment and there is honestly a wide array of subjects in the course. Show interest widely in the subject alongside your choices and you're golden. I'd actually say yours match up pretty well anyhow.
I'm from a STEM background (maths and physics) but they saw my love for the subject. It's all you need.
Good luck 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending