Resolving Force-M1 Watch

geography1294
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How do you know when to use sin instead of cos?
Ahad27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sin vertical and cos horizontal.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by geography1294)
How do you know when to use sin instead of cos?
Well that is a massively ambiguous question. Do you mean in terms of right-angled triangles? In which case, I just look at the hypotenuse and see whether I have an angle between the hypotenuse and the side I want to find. If I do, then it's cosine, if I don't then it's sine. If I have two side lengths of the triangle, then it's tan.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ahad27)
Sin vertical and cos horizontal.
You can find vertical using cosine, and horizontal using sine as well. That's not much of an explanation.
geography1294
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Well that is a massively ambiguous question. Do you mean in terms of right-angled triangles? In which case, I just look at the hypotenuse and see whether I have an angle between the hypotenuse and the side I want to find. If I do, then it's cosine, if I don't then it's sine. If I have two side lengths of the triangle, then it's tan.
When you resolve forces, do you resolve in one direction and take whatever goes against the motion to be negative?
Ahad27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can find vertical using cosine, and horizontal using sine as well. That's not much of an explanation.
I assumed he was asking when to use cos and sine when finding the horizontal and vertical components
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When you resolve forces, do you resolve in one direction and take whatever goes against the motion to be negative?
When you resolve forces, you are aiming to resolve them in 2 dimensions only (as far as M1 is concerned) such that they are perpendicular to each other - so no, you do not resolve in one direction. Why perpendicular? Because then they do not affect each other and you can treat them individually. And yes, you may take any forces going against the direction of motion as negative and then add that onto the driving force which would give the resultant forward force (assuming no external forces)
geography1294
Rep:
?
When you resolve forces, you are aiming to resolve them in 2 dimensions only (as far as M1 is concerned) such that they are perpendicular to each other - so no, you do not resolve in one direction. And yes, you may take any forces going against the direction of motion as negative and then add that onto the driving force which would give the resultant forward force (assuming no external forces)
So for a x and y coordinate grid, you would be resolving left to right and everything on the side of the negative coordinates would be against the motion?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So for a x and y coordinate grid, you would be resolving left to right and everything on the side of the negative coordinates would be against the motion?
No, that isn't quite how it works. It also depends in which direction your object is moving. When an object is moving in 2 dimensions, you first resolve all the forces into the 2 perpendicular components, let's say horizontal and vertical. Now considering the motion horizontally, if it is moving to the right, then any forces acting to the left would be counted as negative if you wish, it just depends how you personally prefer it. I, for example, just take them as positive forces and simply subtract them from the driving force which is no different.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I assumed he was asking when to use cos and sine when finding the horizontal and vertical components
It's not always about finding horizontal and vertical components. Parallel and perpendicular force components to the plane would be a much more accurate saying.
Ahad27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not always about finding horizontal and vertical components. Parallel and perpendicular force components to the plane would be a much more accurate saying.
True, would it be better if I used i and j instead of horizontal and vertical?
geography1294
Rep:
?
When you resolve forces, you are aiming to resolve them in 2 dimensions only (as far as M1 is concerned) such that they are perpendicular to each other - so no, you do not resolve in one direction. Why perpendicular? Because then they do not affect each other and you can treat them individually. And yes, you may take any forces going against the direction of motion as negative and then add that onto the driving force which would give the resultant forward force (assuming no external forces)
Also for resultant forces, how do you know which way to draw the force on the diagram?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also for resultant forces, how do you know which way to draw the force on the diagram?
The resultant force is always the one in the direction of motion.

F=ma - think about it.

If there is no motion, then the forces balance.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
True, would it be better if I used i and j instead of horizontal and vertical?
The notion of i and j is that they are simply perpendicular vectors, but they do not specify how they are perpendicular. So you could indeed use them if you explain that i is parallel to the plane, and that j is perpendicular to it, or vice versa if you wish. Or you can say that one if horizontal and the other is vertical.
Ahad27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The notion of i and j is that they are simply perpendicular vectors, but they do not specify how they are perpendicular. So you could indeed use them if you explain that i is parallel to the plane, and that j is perpendicular to it, or vice versa if you wish. Or you can say that one if horizontal and the other is vertical.
Cool, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads