The Student Room Group

Muslim girls

How many of you realistically want to spend all your life working until you reach retirement age? Or would some of you rather work for as many years as you find comfortable and then happily allow your husband to become the main breadwinner in the household? Or are there some who only want to work a few years to pay off uni debts and then let the husband work?

Scroll to see replies

I want to work until retirement more or less, there's not point in me working my arse off to just end up stuck in a house with a piece of paper and a pile of debt just for the sake of saying i have a degree. I don't want to be reliant on someone completely, i want to be able to earn my own money without being dependent on another person to give them the excuse of saying to me that they own everything just simply because they're the breadwinner.
Original post by retro_turtles
I want to work until retirement more or less, there's not point in me working my arse off to just end up stuck in a house with a piece of paper and a pile of debt just for the sake of saying i have a degree. I don't want to be reliant on someone completely, i want to be able to earn my own money without being dependent on another person to give them the excuse of saying to me that they own everything just simply because they're the breadwinner.

That's a good point tbh. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on this because looking at the generation above us, the women have got degrees but most have ended up contently as housewives and haven't wanted to work after that unless it's work from home like a business or such.
I want to work till I retire, otherwise I'd feel like all my hard work at uni was for nothing to be honest.
Original post by tammie123
I want to work till I retire, otherwise I'd feel like all my hard work at uni was for nothing to be honest.

So u can see urself working at the age of 70? Does creating a family come into this or are u just career orientated?
Original post by Asiangirl_18
That's a good point tbh. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on this because looking at the generation above us, the women have got degrees but most have ended up contently as housewives and haven't wanted to work after that unless it's work from home like a business or such.

I'd rather work and remain alone then be stuck relying on someone else to provide for me
So u can see urself working at the age of 70? Does creating a family come into this or are u just career orientated?

Yes of course I'd want a family, I'd work hard to try and keep my family happy but also be able to continue with my career. I know loads of muslim women who are balancing both really well.
I'd rather work and remain alone then be stuck relying on someone else to provide for me

Aww no ones saying u have to be completely reliant on the guy. But there may come a time where u just wan to focus on having children and being there whilst they grow up rather thn go out and work every day. Maybe after the kids are grown up u may decide to go back to work. A lot of women seem to be doing that nowadays.

Yes of course I'd want a family, I'd work hard to try and keep my family happy but also be able to continue with my career. I know loads of muslim women who are balancing both really well.

Ahh yehh of course. That sounds good. Which kind of career are u planning on going down btw?
Undecided on how long I want to work. Depends on circumstances.
Husband main breadwinner but of course I'll earn myself too and help out.
Aww no ones saying u have to be completely reliant on the guy. But there may come a time where u just wan to focus on having children and being there whilst they grow up rather thn go out and work every day. Maybe after the kids are grown up u may decide to go back to work. A lot of women seem to be doing that nowadays.

Ahh yehh of course. That sounds good. Which kind of career are u planning on going down btw?

I'm hoping to become a hospital pharmacist what about you? Are you planning to work after having children?
Isn't this rather assuming that the woman would be in the type of marriage where she got to make a choice of whether not she was even allowed to work? I thought a lot of these muslin women weren't allowed to work because it was somehow shameful.
Original post by Reality Check
Isn't this rather assuming that the woman would be in the type of marriage where she got to make a choice of whether not she was even allowed to work? I thought a lot of these muslin women weren't allowed to work because it was somehow shameful.

Nope muslim women are allowed to work if they want to. My parents look down on women who don't work and they'd be very dissapointed in me if I became a housewife
Nope muslim women are allowed to work if they want to. My parents look down on women who don't work and they'd be very dissapointed in me if I became a housewife

That's great for you - it's just a shame that liberty isn't afforded to all women in your community.

Muslim men can't say that because it is already their duty to pay for the family and house, so they can't say they own everything as their money belongs to their family too.
Your education can be used to teach your children too, being educated isn't only for a job it's for many aspects of your life.
That's great for you - it's just a shame that liberty isn't afforded to all women in your community.

Culture has nothing to do with Islam

Yeah true, some muslim women are expected to become housewives which is a shame to be honest. People should be able to decide what they want to do with their lives themselves
Yeah true, some muslim women are expected to become housewives which is a shame to be honest. People should be able to decide what they want to do with their lives themselves

Yes, I quite agree with you :smile:

It's not like you are leeching off of someone, it's the husbands duty to provide for the family anyway so.
Generally it can be better for the wife to stay home and care for the children and maintain the house etc so there's less conflict. Like u have to pay for child minders and basically have someone else raise your children or if you guys are working and u come back home tired then you both don't want to cook or clean or etc. And you gain a better relationship with the children too etc.

It's not a shame as no one is forcing them, it's simply a preference and there was no need to include Muslim women alone. It stands for every woman of a particular culture as women are allowed to work in islam
Original post by TheProphetsPath
It's not like you are leeching off of someone, it's the husbands duty to provide for the family anyway so.
Generally it can be better for the wife to stay home and care for the children and maintain the house etc so there's less conflict. Like u have to pay for child minders and basically have someone else raise your children or if you guys are working and u come back home tired then you both don't want to cook or clean or etc. And you gain a better relationship with the children too etc.

In most households in 21st century Britain, it's not economically feasible to only have one wage-earner, particularly if there are children.

As for there being 'less conflict', what in earth does this mean? Most households where both adults work seem to manage without 'conflict'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending