The Student Room Group

Are there any other people from a single parent family at University on TSR?

I'm hoping it's not just me as the trend tends to be those from nuclear (i.e: traditional) backgrounds and families tend to go moreso. If you do go state why and what you're studying and if your parents went to university too, I'm quite curious to see the variety.

My mother went to Manchester to study Theology and Philosophy as she wanted to become a teacher and I study Chemistry
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Still in sixth form, but tbh first I thought it was University of TSR :tongue:
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Still in sixth form, but tbh first I thought it was University of TSR :tongue:

I'm sure if TSR did degrees one of them would probably be in Trololology :tongue:

Anyway, congrats to you, where do you want to go to study and what?
My parents split up (does that count?) when I was younger.
I'm in sixth form. Going to University next year. Grew up in a single parent family with 6 siblings and just my mum working 3 jobs to get us a decent education. Grew up in a "hood", surrounded by drugs and violence and to think from where we began and now I'll be going to University is crazy... all good things have small beginnings :smile:
My mum has no education and I'll be the first in my family to go to University... so its kinda a big thing
Original post by hezzlington
My parents split up (does that count?) when I was younger.

If you were primarily raised by one parent I don't see why it shouldn't count, how old were you when they split up (if you don't mind me asking)
Original post by Someboady
I'm in sixth form. Going to University next year. Grew up in a single parent family with 6 siblings and just my mum working 3 jobs to get us a decent education. Grew up in a "hood", surrounded by drugs and violence and to think from where we began and now I'll be going to University is crazy... all good things have small beginnings :smile:
My mum has no education and I'll be the first in my family to go to University... so its kinda a big thing

Congratulations on having such good aspirations and congrats to your mother too for being so hardworking and inspirational :smile: What are you planning to study?
Reply 7
I come from a single parent family and I'm an only child. Me and my grandpa were the only people in my close family who went to uni.
Thank you! :smile: Hopefully Computer Science if all goes to plan :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
I come from a single parent family and I'm an only child. Me and my grandpa were the only people in my close family who went to uni.

:five: Me too

It's good to have inspiration within the family, what did your grandpa study and what are you studying?
My grandpa studied engineering and then went into do some lecturing before he had to retire and I was originally studying astronomy but switched to biology. I had to defer due to my health in second year but hoping to go back next year :yep:
Original post by Someboady
Thank you! :smile: Hopefully Computer Science if all goes to plan :smile:

Well done to you though and I hope university works out for you :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
My grandpa studied engineering and then went into do some lecturing before he had to retire and I was originally studying astronomy but switched to biology. I had to defer due to my health in second year but hoping to go back next year :yep:

Brains clearly run in your family :awesome: Sorry to hear you had to leave though :frown: :console: I hope Biology works out for you :smile:
Lol ikr 😂. I will study mechanical/civil engineering. By where do you mean what uni or what country?
Lol ikr 😂. I will study mechanical/civil engineering. By where do you mean what uni or what country?

University :smile:
University of Manchester, where do u study btw?
University of Manchester, where do u study btw?

My mum went there :smile:

I used to go to UCLan but I quit due to personal reasons. I'll be going back to university sometimes next year though hopefully
Ohh cool :smile:
Reply 18
I am studying Politics at uni. My daddy didn't go to uni, he left school a few days short of his 16th birthday.
I am. Absent father, low-income home and have lived in two 'poor' areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending