The Student Room Group

Integration scalar or vector variables confusion

Does dPxdPy=d2Pd P_x d P_y = d^2 \vec P ?

I thought not because PxP_x is a scalar , a component of the vector, whereas P\vec P is a vector?

However someone said it is just a matter of convention and you can write dPxdPy=d2Pd P_x d P_y = d^2 \vec P

But, if I consider this example:

Say I have dPxdPyeP2\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2} if dPxdPy=d2PdP_x dP_y =d^2\vec P (*)then this is d2PeP2=π \int d^2\vec{P}e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\sqrt{\pi} Since P2\vec P^2 is a scalar I can do the integral working with the components dPxdP_x and dPydP_y however had it not been and just been P\vec{P}

I don't know how you convert the integral between dPxdPydP_x dP_y and dPd\vec P So dPxdPyeP2=dPxdPyePx2Py2=dPxePx2dPxePy2=ππ=π\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\int dP_x dP_y e^{-P_x^2-P_y^2}=\int dP_x e^{-P_x^2}\int dP_x e^{-P_y^2}=\sqrt{\pi}\sqrt{\pi}=\pi

so using * these don't agree
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax

I thought not because PxP_x is a scalar , a component of the vector, whereas P\vec P is a vector?

However someone said it is just a matter of convention and you can write dPxdPy=d2Pd P_x d P_y = d^2 \vec P

I'm not familiar with this notation, but the final statement looks vaguely plausible. Where has this arisen? What is the topic? P looks like momentum, I guess?

But, if I consider this example:

Say I have dPxdPyeP2\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2} if dPxdPy=d2PdP_x dP_y =d^2\vec P (*)then this is d2PeP2=π \int d^2\vec{P}e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\sqrt{\pi}

I don't follow this.

Since P2\vec P^2 is a scalar I can do the integral working with the components dPxdP_x and dPydP_y however had it not been and just been P\vec{P}

This isn't a complete sentence.

I don't know how you convert the integral between dPxdPydP_x dP_y and dPd\vec P So dPxdPyeP2=dPxdPyePx2Py2=dPxePx2dPxePy2=ππ=π\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\int dP_x dP_y e^{-P_x^2-P_y^2}=\int dP_x e^{-P_x^2}\int dP_x e^{-P_y^2}=\sqrt{\pi}\sqrt{\pi}=\pi

so using * these don't agree

What is dPd\vec P in your notation?

This is largely impossible to follow without more background info, I think.The final calculation looks plausible, I suppose, if the limits are +/- infinity.

Maybe one for RichE?
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
I'm not familiar with this notation, but the final statement looks vaguely plausible. Where has this arisen? What is the topic? P looks like momentum, I guess?

More likely probability measures or joint probability measures?

But nothing has been defined so I am not sure what is being argued.
Original post by RichE
More likely probability measures or joint probability measures?

But nothing has been defined so I am not sure what is being argued.
The first line of the OP's post has been posted by them before: I asked for context, and I guess this is what they consider context, but as you say, it doesn't actually provide any meaningful information about what the terms are actually supposed to mean.

[If I had to guess, I'm thinking some confusion between the vector and scalar versions of a surface integral (i.e. in ...ndS\int ... \cdot {\bf n} \,dS v.s ...dS\int ... \cdot \, d{\bf S}, mixed in with representation as a double integral, but it's just so hard to know, really!].
Reply 4

I asked a chemistry friend and he just said that this was standard physics notation. I think we mathematicians in this thread are over-thinking it.

So it seems whilst mathematicians might write

dx dy = dA
dx dy dz = dV

it's common for physicists to write

dxdydz=d3r dx dy dz = d^3{\bf r}

or similar. All this is just a matter of notation.
Original post by atsruser

I don't follow this.

This isn't a complete sentence.

What is dPd\vec P in your notation?

This is largely impossible to follow without more background info, I think.The final calculation looks plausible, I suppose, if the limits are +/- infinity.

Maybe one for RichE?

momentum.
statistical mechanics.
Original post by RichE

it's common for physicists to write

dxdydz=d3r dx dy dz = d^3{\bf r}

or similar. All this is just a matter of notation.

I'm familiar with this type of notation in physics, but momentum is usually lowercased, so it all looked a bit odd to me - not quite standard physics notation, nor maths.
momentum.
statistical mechanics.

OK, but isn't momentum usually p\bold{p} in stat. mech.? As it stands it looks a bit odd.

Anyway, I'm now not really sure what your exact question is. I didn't understand the point you were making re: the first integral you wrote.

Quick Reply

Latest