The Student Room Group

Whatt? Helppp please!!

Firefighters attempt to squirt water from a hose into a third story window 15m above the ground. For safety purposes they stand 25m from the burning building. The water from the hose can only reach the window if:
A) TIME y >Time x B) time > time y C) time y < time x D) time x < time y.. Answer is C. I don't get why, it has something with the horizontal motion and vertical motion but I can't get it.
Original post by Ahseya
Firefighters attempt to squirt water from a hose into a third story window 15m above the ground. For safety purposes they stand 25m from the burning building. The water from the hose can only reach the window if:
A) TIME y >Time x B) time > time y C) time y < time x D) time x < time y.. Answer is C. I don't get why, it has something with the horizontal motion and vertical motion but I can't get it.

Was there a supporting image with the options?
What do time, time x, time y, Time x and TIME y represent?
Isn't option A same as option C?
Reply 2
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Was there a supporting image with the options?
What do time, time x, time y, Time x and TIME y represent?
Isn't option A same as option C?

No there wasn't.. the time is time of horizontal motion and vertical motion i think. Howould the time an object takes vertically affect the distance travelled horizontally essentially the question i think. I found this online in practice questions. Could you tell how horizontal distance is dependent on time in free fall??
Reply 3
Original post by Ahseya
No there wasn't.. the time is time of horizontal motion and vertical motion i think. Howould the time an object takes vertically affect the distance travelled horizontally essentially the question i think. I found this online in practice questions. Could you tell how horizontal distance is dependent on time in free fall??

If it takes longer to reach the height required, it has more time to travel horizontally, and so would travel a larger horizontal distance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest