Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should terrorists be executed? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Some terrorists plan to (or already have) kill several and enslave many, when you have that many things on your back, multiple life sentences feel like too little also being a morale boost for some of the public. However executing them would be mean you are stopping to their level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silemarine)
    Some terrorists plan to (or already have) kill several and enslave many, when you have that many things on your back, multiple life sentences feel like too little also being a morale boost for some of the public. However executing them would be mean you are stopping to their level.
    I think the death penalty has always been a controversial topic, because it's true, in this case, the terrorists have killed probably thousands of people, but if we kill them, are we better? it does not matter that they are "bad" and we are eradicating them for the sake of humanity. The end doesn't justify the means, at the end, it's killing a human being. Or at least, that is my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Why kill them when they can rot in a gulag?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No one should be executed.

The biggest problem with the death penalty is that there is always a risk of killing the wrong person (this will always be a risk, no matter how hard we try to get it right), and people have been wrongly convicted for terrorism offences in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)

The biggest problem with the death penalty is that there is always a risk of killing the wrong person (this will always be a risk, no matter how hard we try to get it right), and people have been wrongly convicted for terrorism offences in the past.
    The risk of using a car, is that you may be killed before the end of the journey. Does that mean you should walk to another end of the country on foot, or just put efforts to prevent an accident?

In terms of terrorist, I don't think they should be killed, because that turns them into martyrs, On the other hand, there are tried and tested ways that allow to erase one's memory. Maybe we would be able to erase their fanatism. It would be a big shock for some terrorists, if they saw their leaders not having even an idea on what Islam is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the threat of execution will put a lot of suicide bombers off.

I also suspect those in favour of the death penalty for terrorism would have happily seen those convicted for the Guildford and Birmingham pub bombings executed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TagridS)
    I think the death penalty has always been a controversial topic, because it's true, in this case, the terrorists have killed probably thousands of people, but if we kill them, are we better? it does not matter that they are "bad" and we are eradicating them for the sake of humanity. The end doesn't justify the means, at the end, it's killing a human being. Or at least, that is my opinion
    Yes we're better, why wouldn't we be? We're humans, we seek revenge and show them who's better by dominating. I think they lost their status as humans when they betrayed their own and carried out barbaric acts. If you call that human, we're a different species

ReputationRep:
    Well since many of the terrorist blow themselves up or are shot dead at the scene it's pointless to execute terrorists

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they should be executed, but they should have the hardest time possible...perhaps when found to be guilty they should be sent to a tougher facility, or given different uniform in prison so that they stick out like sore thumbs for the other inmates to identify easily.

Alternatively, we could do a deal with countries with far rougher prison systems (see Russia/most of South America) and do an exchange; their most well-behaved prisoners for our terrorists.

They will be left there to rot, open to ridicule by both inmates and any wardens that may or may not be there given the level of racism known in both areas.

ReputationRep:
    we already execute many of these *******s with drones... remember Mr M Wazzy ? BOOM BOOM HERE'S YA TOMB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silemarine)
    Who are the terrorists? Do you mean fake terrorists like in the Woolwich beheading or Zionist terrorists who own all the banks, media, Western governments and intend to centralize power to the extent that they can rule the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Yes we're better, why wouldn't we be? We're humans, we seek revenge and show them who's better by dominating. I think they lost their status as humans when they betrayed their own and carried out barbaric acts. If you call that human, we're a different species
    Once again, not excusing them. But you don't know what they have been through, it's not they "betrayed their own" probably it's just all they know, or worst, they had a horrible life because of others. Or maybe they are just like that, because they want. The thing is that neither of us know it, so judge them and punish them (as severe as this post is suggesting) it's unfair. We have to give HUMANITY a chance, no matter if people deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TagridS)
    Once again, not excusing them. But you don't know what they have been through, it's not they "betrayed their own" probably it's just all they know, or worst, they had a horrible life because of others. Or maybe they are just like that, because they want. The thing is that neither of us know it, so judge them and punish them (as severe as this post is suggesting) it's unfair. We have to give HUMANITY a chance, no matter if people deserve it.
    You're right to an extent, I dont approve of the IRA but in many aspects their ambitions seemed reasonable their means of getting wasnt though.
    Sadly in the case you described its clear theres not much you can do to change their views, they're entrenched and its how they see the world. Given circumstances such as being groomed, being threatened, trying to get away but failing, etc. Then id see a good alternative.

But why give people a chance when they despise of humanity? We've reached our arms out to these people already and offered to save them from a horrible life with a life that offers freedom and opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    You can't use death as a deterrent for someone who wants to die...

ReputationRep:
    Loool no. They want to die anyway. Some could even become martyrs if you kill them, which just makes the issue worse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.