The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is your opinion on GoFundMe?

Hey guys, I've been reading up about the difference in opinions in setting up GoFundMe and other fundraising pages. After a tragic incident such a terrorist attack, the death of a loved one, a diagnosis of a serious illness which requires medical help abroad - many people choose to set up a GoFundMe page to help cover the costs. The money raised can go towards the victims or their families, funeral costs, travel and medical costs etc.

Some people praise these accounts and actively donate whereas a lot of people denounce them and say that they are tactless. What are your opinions on these pages? Is there ever a right or wrong time to make one? Is it no different than a charity worker shaking a tin at you while you are walking down the high street?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hey guys, I've been reading up about the difference in opinions in setting up GoFundMe and other fundraising pages. After a tragic incident such a terrorist attack, the death of a loved one, a diagnosis of a serious illness which requires medical help abroad - many people choose to set up a GoFundMe page to help cover the costs. The money raised can go towards the victims or their families, funeral costs, travel and medical costs etc.

Some people praise these accounts and actively donate whereas a lot of people denounce them and say that they are tactless. What are your opinions on these pages? Is there ever a right or wrong time to make one? Is it no different than a charity worker shaking a tin at you while you are walking down the high street?

I think they're amazing, but it's sad that there are so many that don't get attention. One gets promoted by something like Buzzfeeed and all the others get forgotten, even if they are for equally great causes. I just really hate it when people use them to try and raise money for their school or whatever because they don't want to take on a loan like the rest of us, stuff like that
My youngest son, partner and 2 kiddies were evicted from their home - landlord wanted his house back and screwed them over with the deposit. They were left homeless. My son is prominent in the programming/coding community. He set up a Gofundme page just to get enough to put down a deposit. The coding community contributed thousands and he was able to find a large bungalow on the Isle of Wight and then got a job as a senior programmer with an international company. Go fund me helped him to get on his feet.
I think a GoFundMe can be a blessing in someone's darkest hour so I am all for it. However, some people do set up GoFundMe's for the oddest of things and I really wonder how people don't have a plan in place for when the unexpected happens.
It depends on the situation. I used to a belong to a club and we helped raise money for a little girl who needed a piece of medical equipment. She had a page set up on Go fund me. That to me, is fine. Things like a holiday, imo, aren't.
If people want to donate to the mundane then that is there choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Spock's Socks
Is it no different than a charity worker shaking a tin at you while you are walking down the high street?

It's at least different to them, as the people promoting the GoFundMe page don't get a commission if you donate.

I believe they can be a large source of good when for a true cause, validated by people in the community.
I don't see an issue with it myself; a lot of the causes are very worthwhile, and people are under no obligation to donate to the ones that aren't.
Original post by Rum Ham

I think that its good to have a website like gofundme. It shows that even sometimes when people think humanity has failed that it hasnt and gives them hope. HOPE IS EVERYTHING

Latest

Trending

Trending