The Student Room Group

Gruduate Denti

Hi guys,

Im currently considering of doing Dental Materials at QMUL and then plan on applying for graduate dentistry later on. Is this possible?

Many thanks
Original post by teukwonjae707
Hi guys,

Im currently considering of doing Dental Materials at QMUL and then plan on applying for graduate dentistry later on. Is this possible?

Many thanks

I just finished dental materials and am going to start dentistry this september. Send me a message if you want more details about the course and graduate entry dentistry.
Original post by DentApp13
I just finished dental materials and am going to start dentistry this september. Send me a message if you want more details about the course and graduate entry dentistry.

Hi there thank you very much for the reply,

Im going to be studying dental materials from this september at QMUL and i just had a few queries.

1. Did you apply for the 4 or 5 year dentistry programme and is it possible to apply for both using your dental materials degree (3 year)?

2. Is there any advantage of doing dental materials as opposed to biomedical sciences when applying for graduate entry dentistry?

3. How important are A-levels when applying for graduate entry? If you were to achieve a first in your degree and get a very high UKCAT would they at least consider you with lower A-level grades? (I got AAC)

4. Were there many in your class that planned on applying for dentistry after graduating like yourself? Or were you the only one?

5. Is it possible to get into a top university of dentistry like QMUL or Kings etc with a dental materials degree?

Many thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by teukwonjae707
Hi there thank you very much for the reply,

Im going to be studying dental materials from this september at QMUL and i just had a few queries.

1. Did you apply for the 4 or 5 year dentistry programme and is it possible to apply for both using your dental materials degree (3 year)?

2. Is there any advantage of doing dental materials as opposed to biomedical sciences when applying for graduate entry dentistry?

3. How important are A-levels when applying for graduate entry? If you were to achieve a first in your degree and get a very high UKCAT would they at least consider you with lower A-level grades? (I got AAC)

4. Were there many in your class that planned on applying for dentistry after graduating like yourself? Or were you the only one?

5. Is it possible to get into a top university of dentistry like QMUL or Kings etc with a dental materials degree?

Many thanks

Right, so just bear in mind that everything I say is from my experience and things may change over the years.

So for Q1. I will be going onto a 5 year Dentistry course. I am aware that Kings doesn't accept it for their 4 year course but I know it accepts it for their 5 year one. UCLan does accept it for their graduate course. I'm not sure about the other places that do the 4 year course, it may be worth giving their admissions team a ring.

The main issue between 4 and 5 year courses isn't really the time but the amount of funding you'll get for tuition, since you can't get a tuition loan for the 5 year course.

On this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4884974 , I've laid out some pros and cons of the course from my perspective.

Q2. The advantage of doing dental materials and one of the reasons I chose it was that you come out with a Bachelors of Engineering Degree which is able to give you (imo) more options for careers should you be unsuccessful or no longer want to do Dentistry. The disadvantage is that since it is an engineering course, you will have to do some maths and physics related modules.

Q3. Unis vary on this, again, it is worth checking some unis entry requirements know to see if you fit their criteria. Some say that they want at least Bs in Biology and Chemistry, others won't say what subjects. However, they base giving you an offer on your university classification, normally 2.1. Some ask for 1st class.

Q4. There were about 10 people doing dental materials, (most the time you spend your lectures with materials scientists, so only around 40 per lecture which is nice compared to other subjects). So 6 of us applied, and 5 got offers. My cohort did particularly well, this amount will vary from year to year since in the year before us, there were less people who got an offer. The thing with graduate dentistry is that it is not guaranteed but it is possible.

Q5. All the dental schools are at top unis and are top dental schools but yes I know someone going to Kings.

Quick Reply

Latest