Scroll to see replies

Original post by missfrivolous
Discuss.

Bump
Reply 2
Discuss.

Maybe explain what you mean first?
Nobody has any idea what you're talking about, friend.
I don't think you know what the word "performative" means.
Reply 5
Looks like someone has to keep up with the times and take some gender studies courses.

No, I just have to hope people learn to use the english language properly.

Hell, I would hope that people would learn to behave in a civil manner on the internet and be helpful to others, but even I'm not crazy enough to believe that could ever happen.
performative
pəˈfɔːmətɪv/Submit
adjective
relating to or of the nature of dramatic or artistic performance.
"films which push past the limits of current performative trends"
characterized by the performance of a social or cultural role.
"many feminist theorists have come to stress the contextual and performative aspects of gender"
LINGUISTICSPHILOSOPHY
relating to or denoting an utterance by means of which the speaker performs a particular act (e.g. I bet, I apologize, I promise ).
adjective: performative
noun
noun: performative; plural noun: performatives
a performative utterance.
"here statements are not descriptive utterances but performatives"
what does that mean
Original post by Dheorl
No, I just have to hope people learn to use the english language properly.

Hell, I would hope that people would learn to behave in a civil manner on the internet and be helpful to others, but even I'm not crazy enough to believe that could ever happen.

Gender performativity.

https://youtu.be/Bo7o2LYATDc
(edited 6 years ago)
Gender performativity.

Well, I think I speak for most of the population. What a load of crap.
Reply 10
Gender performativity.

No.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Wow, so much ignorance in this thread.

This is why gender studies needs to be compulsory at GCSE or something. Too many young kids are still being taught patrionormative social constructs, is it any wonder that rape is such an epidemic at universities?

I totally agree with you. I hoped for an intellectual discussion, instead I was met with complete dismissal and a load of ignorant remarks. Looks as though TSR isn’t a very inclusive place after all.

I believe it’s not just gender/sexuality education that is in desperate need of reform in British secondary schools. Education in critical thinking and analysis is also in need of revision - society needs right-brained individuals who can think outside the box (and beyond the binaries one finds in a typical mathematics textbook). Attention, policy-makers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Wow, so much ignorance in this thread.

This is why gender studies needs to be compulsory at GCSE or something. Too many young kids are still being taught patrionormative social constructs, is it any wonder that rape is such an epidemic at universities?

the reason you don't see matriarchy societies is bcuz they don't work well as male ones
I totally agree with you. I hoped for an intellectual discussion, instead I was met with complete dismissal and a load of ignorant remarks. Looks as though TSR isn’t a very inclusive place after all.

Everyone needs a bit of Judith Butler in their lives
Discuss.

Heck yes; anatomy isn't destiny loooool
Original post by Rinsed
Several points:

School is not a place for these political ideas to be taught, and yes they are political.

Am I right in thinking "right-brained" means "agrees with me"?

The idea gender-studies types encourage open-minded or critical thinking is ridiculous. They encourage conformance to one extreme opinion, and treat dissent with fury.

lol
Reply 16
Yep, gender can be determined by how you act. While sex is biological.
Reply 17

I believe it’s not just gender/sexuality education that is in desperate need of reform in British secondary schools. Education in critical thinking and analysis is also in need of revision - society needs right-brained individuals who can think outside the box (and beyond the binaries one finds in a typical mathematics textbook). Attention, policy-makers.

If you want an intellectual discussion, maybe think about writing more than a title and "discuss". Put forward your opinions, some material backing them up, some thoughts on potential points of weakness in your case etc.

All very well and good being "right-brained" but maybe learn some social skills and debating skills to go along with it?
Original post by Rinsed
Several points:

School is not a place for these political ideas to be taught, and yes they are political.

Am I right in thinking "right-brained" means "agrees with me"?

The idea gender-studies types encourage open-minded or critical thinking is ridiculous. They encourage conformance to one extreme opinion, and treat dissent with fury.

I sense liberal-phobia.
Reply 19
Well of course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending