The Student Room Group

Reaction of phenol with ethanoic acid!!

It is not in any of my revision guides..came up in the 2007 jan ocr salters paper..

I have seen the answer....basically an ester forms..but i dunno how or why...what if something similar comes up 2 weeks time!!

Major help required..thanks guys
Reply 1
the reaction is not very efficient, as it will be really slow. so carboxylic acid derivatives like chloride or anhydride are used instead, because they are more reactive. anyway phenyl ethanoate is formed.
Reply 2
ah i see..........and hcl is the byproduct?
Reply 3
yes, when an acyl chloride is used
waters formed, just like any other esterification reaction with alcohol/carboxilic acid
Reply 5
thelostchild
waters formed, just like any other esterification reaction with alcohol/carboxilic acid

Water forms only when you use an acid.
When the reaction is between phenol and acyl chloride (e.g. ethanoyl chloride) phenyl ethanoate and HCl are formed. If you use ethanoic anhydride, the products are phenyl ethanoate and ethanoic acid.
melcarac
Water forms only when you use an acid.
When the reaction is between phenol and acyl chloride (e.g. ethanoyl chloride) phenyl ethanoate and HCl are formed. If you use ethanoic anhydride, the products are phenyl ethanoate and ethanoic acid.

I know that, I just read the thread title "Reaction of phenol with ethanoic acid!!" and just skimmed the rest of the thread, my bad :smile:

Latest