The Student Room Group
Well obviously the ones with a fractional RAM on the periodic table do (eg Cl, Cu etc.) Other than that I guess its a case of learning sorry :smile:
So it's not a case of abundance?
Reply 3
~*starlight*conquest*~
So it's not a case of abundance?

The RAM reflects the abundance. It comes from the average mass of the atom so, given that a single atom will always have an (approximately) integer mass, you'd need a considerable abundance of two isotopes to get an obviously non-integer value.
-Kav-
The RAM reflects the abundance. It comes from the average mass of the atom so, given that a single atom will always have an (approximately) integer mass, you'd need a considerable abundance of two isotopes to get an obviously non-integer value.

This can be misleading take the case of Bromine which is Approximately Naturally 50:50 Br79:Br81
giving a RAM of 80 :smile:
Reply 5
thelostchild
This can be misleading take the case of Bromine which is Approximately Naturally 50:50 Br79:Br81
giving a RAM of 80 :smile:

That's a very good point. :redface: Still, it's a reasonably good indicator; you'll just have to learn the exceptions. That, or just not worry too much about it.
I see...I think i just misunderstood what I read then and made a big something out of nothing again xD. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Latest