The Student Room Group

Superposition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Eimmanuel
Don't have to be bad at not explaining thing well, I am not at explaining stuff too.

Resonance and superposition of wave at A level (I assume that your level of study now) are really difficult. Most of my students have the same feeling. :smile:

I didn’t know you’re a teacher Sir, my apologies. For me, I would rather do the calculations, even though some of them are hard and very stressful, than explain stuff.
Reply 21
Don't have to be bad at not explaining thing well, I am not at explaining stuff too.

Resonance and superposition of wave at A level (I assume that your level of study now) are really difficult. Most of my students have the same feeling. :smile:

Also, I am not sure about the A level since I am living and studying here in Canada but I do take university courses. So, maybe you could say that it is equivalent to A levels there in U.K. (:
Reply 22
I would recommend the physics textbook here.
https://openstax.org/subjects/science
You can download for free.
It usually good to read beyond your current school notes on physics.
I would sometimes make use of the conceptual questions in college physics to test my students understanding.

That would be awesome and really helpful! Thank you so much Sir! I will share it to my friends, and I agree that it is better to read beyond what we have. I am actually looking for another good references to expand my knowledge for every lessons.
Original post by MMarìc
Also, I am not sure about the A level since I am living and studying here in Canada but I do take university courses. So, maybe you could say that it is equivalent to A levels there in U.K. (:

Would you be required to take any national examination?
Original post by MMarìc
That would be awesome and really helpful! Thank you so much Sir! I will share it to my friends, and I agree that it is better to read beyond what we have. I am actually looking for another good references to expand my knowledge for every lessons.

What is your physics textbook that you are using? There is a physics textbook called pearson physics which is used in Canada. https://www.pearsoncanadaschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS1zRo&PMDbSiteId=2621&PMDbSolutionId=25862&PMDbSubSolutionId=&PMDbCategoryId=25879&PMDbSubCategoryId=26103&PMDbSubjectAreaId=&PMDbProgramId=47190

I find that the writing is good. But the writing on some of the difficult topics are brief.

Note that the physics textbook in openstax is written for usage in US colleges. Next, the university physics can involve more maths than the college physics, sometimes, it would expect you to know calculus and simple vector operation like dot product and cross product.

Please get rid of "sir"... Thanks.
Original post by MMarìc
I didn’t know you’re a teacher Sir, my apologies. For me, I would rather do the calculations, even though some of them are hard and very stressful, than explain stuff.

Don't need to apologize. You have not done anything wrong. It is no surprise that students prefer calculation to explanation questions. I was a student before. :smile: However, you need to know how to explain the physics behind the maths to test your understanding or else you are just doing maths, not physics.
Reply 26
Would you be required to take any national examination?

National Examination? I never heard of anything like that. What is it for?
Reply 27
What is your physics textbook that you are using? There is a physics textbook called pearson physics which is used in Canada. https://www.pearsoncanadaschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS1zRo&PMDbSiteId=2621&PMDbSolutionId=25862&PMDbSubSolutionId=&PMDbCategoryId=25879&PMDbSubCategoryId=26103&PMDbSubjectAreaId=&PMDbProgramId=47190

I find that the writing is good. But the writing on some of the difficult topics are brief.

Note that the physics textbook in openstax is written for usage in US colleges. Next, the university physics can involve more maths than the college physics, sometimes, it would expect you to know calculus and simple vector operation like dot product and cross product.

Please get rid of "sir"... Thanks.

We are indeed using Pearson textbook for Physics and I can say that it is actually a nice textbook. I like how the calculations are showed neatly for each problems. However, there are some terminologies that I don’t really understand by their explanations. Also, some of the explanations for conceptual questions on every chapter review are not really on the textbook or it is just hard for me to understand which one is it i should connect.

My teacher actually mentioned about the calculus and vector, she said that if we take it (which I need to) next year, we will have an idea since we are learning (very basic of it) in Physics. At the moment we haven’t learned about the dot and cross product.

She mentioned that there are calculations (i.e Trigo) that won’t be on college physics but will be on university physics in grade 12. Since I am aspiring to go into University, i am taking university courses.
Reply 28
Don't need to apologize. You have not done anything wrong. It is no surprise that students prefer calculation to explanation questions. I was a student before. :smile: However, you need to know how to explain the physics behind the maths to test your understanding or else you are just doing maths, not physics.

True, that’s why I am really practicing to improve my explanations. Sometimes, when I read the questions that I should explain, it sounds so easy but I am reluctant to explain it on easy way since I am expecting to be hard. Thus, my answer will be sometimes very complex and when our teacher explained it to us, it was so simple explanation. (I jump into conclusion.)
Original post by MMarìc
National Examination? I never heard of anything like that. What is it for?

If you have not heard before, it should mean that there is no such exam in your country education system. It is ok.

You can read the following info. But you can ignore as it does not apply to you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examination_boards_in_the_United_Kingdom
Original post by MMarìc
We are indeed using Pearson textbook for Physics and I can say that it is actually a nice textbook. I like how the calculations are showed neatly for each problems. However, there are some terminologies that I don’t really understand by their explanations. .....

In my opinion, there is no single physics textbook that can explain well on all the terminologies for all the students. One of the factors is how much prior knowledge does the student have to understand the explanation.

But there is physics textbook that I would always consult known as The Feynman Lectures On Physics. You can also post the terminologies that you don't understand in Pearson physics in TSR. I would also like to know what are they - I keep a list of physics terminologies that I have to pay attention in my teaching.

Original post by MMarìc
... Also, some of the explanations for conceptual questions on every chapter review are not really on the textbook or it is just hard for me to understand which one is it i should connect. ...

As I don't really use this text heavily, so I don't really know about this issue. It would be good if you can quote a few examples.
Reply 31
As I don't really use this text heavily, so I don't really know about this issue. It would be good if you can quote a few examples.

That’s what I think too, to test our understanding. I will find sometime to use that Lectures, thank you. Right now that we are on Christmas Break, I am preparing for our final exam on January. Our first semester is almost over, thus, I won’t have Physics until next school year. We are now in the chapter of Electricity, and I will look if I find something interesting to quote.
Original post by MMarìc
That’s what I think too, to test our understanding. I will find sometime to use that Lectures, thank you. Right now that we are on Christmas Break, I am preparing for our final exam on January. Our first semester is almost over, thus, I won’t have Physics until next school year. We are now in the chapter of Electricity, and I will look if I find something interesting to quote.

You can find The Feynman Lectures on Physics in the following link.
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

However, it may not suit you. Again, it is no harm to read it.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest