The Student Room Group

Should the homeless drug addict beggars be cleared from Windsor?

seems like another MP is under the cosh for rightly stating that most homeless beggars are drug addicts - like have you ever actcually come across a daily beggar who isn't?

So, should they be cleared from the streets of Windsor?

Scroll to see replies

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by So-Sarah
seems like another MP is under the cosh for rightly stating that most homeless beggars are drug addicts - like have you ever actcually come across a daily beggar who isn't?

You know what they say about assuming anything, it makes an ass out of you.

And no why should they be? More over where are you going to put them? This isnt Soviet Russia or China we cant just dump them in a Gulag or make them vanish.
Original post by Napp
You know what they say about assuming anything, it makes an ass out of you.

And no why should they be? More over where are you going to put them? This isnt Soviet Russia or China we cant just dump them in a Gulag or make them vanish.

You forget the Philippine were government is paying hit men/women are shooting homeless people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/02/philippines-president-duterte-drugs-war-death-squads
Reply 4
Original post by looloo2134
You forget the Philippine were government is paying hit men/women are shooting homeless people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/02/philippines-president-duterte-drugs-war-death-squads

I'm not sure you can compare the UK to a despotic 3rd world country in SE Asia...
Reply 5

Where are they going to put the homeless?
Reply 6
Are they homeless because they’re drug addicts or are they drug addicts because they’re homeless? I have sympathy for both but I can understand the latter more, many of them would be willing to change and do something with their life if someone would just open their arms and give them a chance.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Guillotine the royals and we could house all the homeless.

It is funny how, while the idea of the Germans looking down on blacks and jews as lesser races when they were Nazis is abhorrent to most people, the dehumanisation of homeless people is the norm.

Sure let more layabouts do f all and steal from the taxpayers, the Queen gives far more to the economy and global standing of the UK than a billion homeless
Original post by Zxyn
Are they homeless because they’re drug addicts or are they drug addicts because they’re homeless? I have sympathy for both but I can understand the latter more, many of them would be willing to change and do something with their life if someone would just open their arms and give them a chance.

So if they are a drug addict then they became homeless it is their fault and if they are homeless then became addicted then it is their fault for doing drugs.

Dont act like we dont give them a chance, they chose to do drugs and could have made far better life decisions, even if homelessness was not their fault there are plenty of ways to better yourself if you are homeless
Original post by Volibear
Such as?

Stonepillow, the government (housing and money), looking for a job even if it is low paying, homeless shelters and the many charities and schemes set up to help the homeless. you have only you to blame for drug addiction
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11

What are you going to do with them....move them to Slough?
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Well honestly I'd still be happy if we guillotined the queen but kept her property for the state.

I'm not denying most homeless people are a drain on the economy, but it seems inconsistent to treat them worse than others who are comparable, such as refugees, gypsies, the disabled, and the royals.

Refugees (actual refugees) Fleeing warzones and as long as they work and intergrate I am fine with them unlike the non working degenerate druggies that are homeless.

Gypsies, yeah a lot are quite bad and they have the highest rate of unemployment, most people dont like them though

Disabled, either through 0 fault of their own or other reasons, those that can should do some sort of work/provide in some way

Royals, bring in a massive amount of money through crown estates an d are good for international relationships and are a symbol of Britain
Original post by AperfectBalance
Stonepillow, the government (housing and money), looking for a job even if it is low paying, homeless shelters and the many charities and schemes set up to help the homeless. you have only you to blame for drug addiction

People who are sexually abused as children are much more likely to develop substance abuse problems than those who weren't. The same is true of other child and adult traumas (see soldiers/PTSD for example). The actual aetiology of drug addiction is more complex than your simplistic understanding.
Original post by Sulfolobus
People who are sexually abused as children are much more likely to develop substance abuse problems than those who weren't. The same is true of other child and adult traumas (see soldiers/PTSD for example). The actual aetiology of drug addiction is more complex than your simplistic understanding.

You make the choice to consume drugs
Reply 15
You make the choice to consume drugs

Not all the time. My aunt got hooked on heroin and alcohol. Her first boyfriend when she was a teenager gave her heroin. He was significantly older and very abusive.

She was 15 when she first became dependent. She was a child, a sexually abused child. She had no choice. She was a victim who was offered no support from the authorities. I know that she was homeless at times. My gran couldn't have her in the house around my cousin.

The council did nothing to help her. The police didn't protect a vulnerable teenage girl who was groomed and abused by an adult. She did not make a choice.

My aunt died because of her addictions. But she was never offered the support to get clean. She was never supported to keep my cousin. Fortunately, my cousin ended up with family and not the social care system.
Windsor is an expensive place. Living in that area should be a privilege that is earned. Not just given to anyone who turns up with a dog and sleeping bag.
Something long term does need to be done. Not just because there's a wedding there.
Reply 18
They’re f*cking real people with real lives. You have no idea what’s led them to end up in the situation they’re in & you can’t presume you’d have ended up anywhere different if you’d lived their life.

As a side note; have you ever had a real conversation with a drug addict or a homeless person? Most of them are pretty decent folk doing what they can to get by.
Sure let more layabouts do f all and steal from the taxpayers, the Queen gives far more to the economy and global standing of the UK than a billion homeless

Yet they’re spending our tax money to do up her house, when you’ve got all these homeless people. She takes away from the economy more than the homeless, plus she’s absolutely pointless anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending