The Student Room Group

anyone doing edexcel igcse Biology January 2018.

Scroll to see replies

Uh.... I just wrote 0... I dunno...
wasn’t prepared for maths
That was a really unfair question, never had anything like that in practise
Reply 21
Original post by Yoshiko Yūjin
Uh.... I just wrote 0... I dunno...
wasn’t prepared for maths
That was a really unfair question, never had anything like that in practise

most of the paper has probability questions.
Reply 22
The probability question is fairly common. It's just that they specifically mentioned 'male' this time. Don't you have maths A or b??
Reply 23
Original post by ManalK
The probability question is fairly common. It's just that they specifically mentioned 'male' this time. Don't you have maths A or b??

Ya mathematics A
Reply 24
I guess you were just flustered then. It's fine. It was only worth 1 mark anyways. Are you giving physics today?
hey! i did the chemistry and biology!
in regards to the biology (as the thread is about that paper), it was pretty hard and i didn’t know how to do the probability of how many children who are born will have the disease. the motor neurone was okay - usually for those types of questions, you just need to be able to draw the cell and give three labels in order to attain all of the marks x
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ?Hannah?
in regards to the biology (as the thread is about that paper), it was pretty hard and i didn’t know how to do the probability of how many children who are born will have the disease. the motor neurone was okay - usually for those types of questions, you just need to be able to draw the cell and give three labels in order to attain all of the marks x

Yeh but this wasn’t a normal cell
I only managed to label the nucleus
Reply 28
The motor neurone is in the textbook and i think i saw it in past papers. How was chemistry tho? What did you guys answer for why only 15% of hydrogen and nitrogen reacts???
Original post by ManalK
The motor neurone is in the textbook and i think i saw it in past papers. How was chemistry tho? What did you guys answer for why only 15% of hydrogen and nitrogen reacts???

i said that it was harder to contain all of the energy and prevent loss of it when it is done on a large scale x i honestly had no idea what to put x
Original post by Yoshiko Yūjin
Yeh but this wasn’t a normal cell
I only managed to label the nucleus

what do you think that the grade boundaries are going to be like for biology?
Reply 31
Original post by ManalK
I guess you were just flustered then. It's fine. It was only worth 1 mark anyways. Are you giving physics today?

yep! paper 1 is over.
Original post by Rj_7
the probability was 1 by 2...BT I wrote 1 by 4 (not sure which one is right, most probably it's gonna be 1by 2).
Neuron questions were damn easy..that kind of questions repeat alot

The probability of a male child with the disease was 1/2*1/4. 1/2 because the probability of the child being male was 1/2 and 1/4 because it in the phenotypes, the chance of an offspring with the disease was 1/4. You had to multiply them the answer was 1/8

The probability of a male child with the disease was 1/2*1/4. 1/2 because the probability of the child being male was 1/2 and 1/4 because it in the phenotypes, the chance of an offspring with the disease was 1/4. You had to multiply them the answer was 1/8
what do you think that the grade boundaries are going to be like for biology?

I think that the grade boundaries will be similar to the past years, if anything this paper was easier, but that was only for my batch, and not across the world of course. I think 135-145 would be A* and 117-125 would be A
Original post by ManalK
Hey. Wasn't the probability 1/8 because probablility of male child (1/2) multiplied by probability of dd(1/4) is 1/8???

yea it was.
So I did the paper on Tuesday, 09/01/18, and found the paper really good. I agree with a lot of some of y'all are saying. There was certainly more diagrams to draw this year than any other year. This also goes for Physics but that's not I'm gonna talk about. I found the paper simple. It mainly asked straight-forward answers. In order to prepare for the paper, I did a bunch of past-papers. The key is to know what the question is asking. The Mark Scheme of past papers allowed me to identify this and allowed me to give all the key points as well.

Regarding the probability question, the answer is 1/8. The probability of a male child with the disease was 1/2*1/4. 1/2 because the probability of the child being male was 1/2 and 1/4 because it in the phenotypes, the chance of an offspring with the disease was 1/4. You had to multiply them and hence, the answer was 1/8. Please reply to me if you wanna discuss more about the papers, i'll be more than happy to answer.

I have also done the Math, physics, and chemistry, so if you wanna discuss them, let me know.

Just gonna add, on monday, (15/01/18) I have 2 papers lol. Biology paper 2, and English A paper 1.
Reply 37
Original post by AKA SCOOBY DOO
So I did the paper on Tuesday, 09/01/18, and found the paper really good. I agree with a lot of some of y'all are saying. There was certainly more diagrams to draw this year than any other year. This also goes for Physics but that's not I'm gonna talk about. I found the paper simple. It mainly asked straight-forward answers. In order to prepare for the paper, I did a bunch of past-papers. The key is to know what the question is asking. The Mark Scheme of past papers allowed me to identify this and allowed me to give all the key points as well.

Regarding the probability question, the answer is 1/8. The probability of a male child with the disease was 1/2*1/4. 1/2 because the probability of the child being male was 1/2 and 1/4 because it in the phenotypes, the chance of an offspring with the disease was 1/4. You had to multiply them and hence, the answer was 1/8. Please reply to me if you wanna discuss more about the papers, i'll be more than happy to answer.

I have also done the Math, physics, and chemistry, so if you wanna discuss them, let me know.

Just gonna add, on monday, (15/01/18) I have 2 papers lol. Biology paper 2, and English A paper 1.

hey that number of orbits taken by the moon question in physics..?did u do that?
Original post by Rj_7
hey that number of orbits taken by the moon question in physics..?did u do that?

Yes. The answer was 15.5, but since they asked orbits, I said 15 complete orbits.
Hi, what exam board did all of you take? I'll be taking Edexcel IGCSE biology, chemistry and physics and Mathematics A (Higher paper) in May/June. I'm a bit nervous but I have plenty of time yet. I'm still revising at the minute but I will be doing the past papers in March so that I have enough time to go back over things if I need to. Which of the exams are the hardest this year? I understand that it's only maths that is 9-1 and the sciences are still A*-U. If any of you have any advice I'd appreciate it. Also do any of you know what the Edexcel online is for and if I have to have one because my exam centre said they don't give out log ins and I was just wondering if one is needed. (This is my first post so not sure if I'm adding a comment right haha).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending