The Student Room Group

Why feminism doesnt care about male issues

Feminists love to pretend like they care ablut equality without actually doing anything that would equalize the genders

Men will recieve more jail time then a women for rhe exact same crime

Men are considered the problem for everything even if they have nothing to do with the problem

Men have a higher suicide rate and the problem with geminism fir this is that if it were women who had the higher suicide rate they wouldnt stop till it was delt with

Men are 50% of domestic abuse victims and yet there is only one shelter for male abuse victims in comparison to the thousands of shelters for female abuse victims

And thats just off the top of my head

Scroll to see replies

I find the issue with it is not the idea that women are no less than men, the issue is that people who brand themselves as feminist love to quote statistical facts to backup their points.

As an example, a feminist might argue that science is a dominated field by men because the field has 80% men and 20% women. This is not a valid reason to then say that women do not have equal opportunity, what if men are just more interested in science as a career than women, what if women are going into other fields because they want to? It might be the case that women do not have equal opportunity in that field but they need to prove and justify that claim before making it. I find that you come across two types of deluded feminists, those that are set on portraying a world where there is 50% men in every industry and 50% women in every industry, I call these the half-brains. Then you come across the ones that absolutely hate men, they can't stand those horrific, ugly, hairy, scary things and they want them to suffer, I call these the no-brainers.

The type of feminism which i think is great is the idea that women and men need equal opportunities and rights, but if there are more men in one industry or job through no clear reason other than more men want go into that career or industry then that's fine as long as women have an equal chance of getting into the industry if they choose to do so.
Original post by Jamal751
I find the issue with it is not the idea that women are no less than men, the issue is that people who brand themselves as feminist love to quote statistical facts to backup their points.

As an example, a feminist might argue that science is a dominated field by men because the field has 80% men and 20% women. This is not a valid reason to then say that women do not have equal opportunity, what if men are just more interested in science as a career than women, what if women are going into other fields because they want to? It might be the case that women do not have equal opportunity in that field but they need to prove and justify that claim before making it. I find that you come across two types of deluded feminists, those that are set on portraying a world where there is 50% men in every industry and 50% women in every industry, I call these the half-brains. Then you come across the ones that absolutely hate men, they can't stand those horrific, ugly, hairy, scary things and they want them to suffer, I call these the no-brainers.

The type of feminism which i think is great is the idea that women and men need equal opportunities and rights, but if there are more men in one industry or job through no clear reason other than more men want go into that career or industry then that's fine as long as women have an equal chance of getting into the industry if they choose to do so.

Thats fair ^_^

Me personally i like the idea of egalaterianism
Original post by Foxsharkpanda
Thats fair ^_^

Me personally i like the idea of egalaterianism

I've never heard of that, I'll definitely look into it

Its the idea that everyone should be equal
Better question is why don't self-evowed Mens Rights Activists care about men's issues...

It's feminism for people who have an irrational fear of the word feminism...
Feminists love to pretend like they care ablut equality without actually doing anything that would equalize the genders

Men will recieve more jail time then a women for rhe exact same crime

Men are considered the problem for everything even if they have nothing to do with the problem

Men have a higher suicide rate and the problem with geminism fir this is that if it were women who had the higher suicide rate they wouldnt stop till it was delt with

Men are 50% of domestic abuse victims and yet there is only one shelter for male abuse victims in comparison to the thousands of shelters for female abuse victims

I think the problem isn't feminism per say, it's any ideology that promotes the idea of a homogenous group identity, which so far as I can see, doesn't exist.

Let's look at some factors that will determine how successful you will be in life (by success I mean you go to a good uni and get a well paid job). These factors include your:

Education
Geography (where you were born/live)
Health (mental and physical:
Income (how much income you have access to, be it via your family)
History (what time period were you born in)
Ethnicity
Cultural values (the overriding values of the culture you live in)

There are a ton more factors that will impact your success that I can't think of. Each of us will be on a differing scale for all of those factors. And because we are on a differing scale for a range of differing factors, you start to see that people are different. I grew up in the same house with 3 siblings, yet my outcomes were different than theres. Why? Because of individualism. The idea that because all of my factors were different to varying degrees meant from a social perspective I couldn't be reasonably classified as part of a homogenous group as I would be too different to others in that group. That's true for all of us.

So some social movement that normally seeks to classify people simply based on their gender, which of course isn't helpful because you're saying that all people of a certain gender (e.g. women) will have similar social issues that we need to address and we can only do this as part of homogenous group. Of course people from certain biological classifications can have similar issues (for example, becoming pregnant), but attributing social standing solely with a single factor isn't productive.

I can see why lumping people in to a homogenous group is appealing from a political point of view but in reality people are too complex with too many factors impacting on where they are at in life to simply be part of a single group defined by a single characteristic.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
It's feminism for people who have an irrational fear of the word feminism...

Feminism is probably the hardest movement to give a well rounded and accurate definition for. There are so many different groups of feminists from the extreme feminists who hate men to the feminists who genuinely want equality for both men and women. I'd be very cautious to give myself a label that has multiple meanings...
Feminism is probably the hardest movement to give a well rounded and accurate definition for. There are so many different groups of feminists from the extreme feminists who hate men to the feminists who genuinely want equality for both men and women. I'd be very cautious to give myself a label that has multiple meanings...

How about 'fairminism'? C'mon, you know that was pretty good.

The Football Association; why doesn't it care about the issues facing ballet?
Well no ****, feminism is for women. Why would they focus men? Do you hate dog charities because they don't focus cats?
Original post by Axiomasher
How about 'fairminism'? C'mon, you know that was pretty good.

You could be onto something haha
Original post by yudothis
Well no ****, feminism is for women. Why would they focus men? Do you hate dog charities because they don't focus cats?

Well dog charities don't blame cats for the suffering of dogs. In feminism the general consensus is that men are trash and men are the problem and all men should die.
Well dog charities don't blame cats for the suffering of dogs. In feminism the general consensus is that men are trash and men are the problem and all men should die.

The thing is, this 'extremist feminism' isn't something I see in my day to day life, I sometimes see women who are concerned about women's, and usually men's, equitable treatment. I don't actually encounter women frothing at the mouth condemning men for being men. I'm not saying you won't be able to find some women like that (the world is full of all sorts). Instead, it seems to me that the internet is well populated with these far-right, alt-right types doing their best to tell us that more-or-less all feminists are like that and that therefore that's what 'feminism' is.
Original post by yudothis

Feminism is not "for women" its about equal rights between the genders. If thats the case they should care about male issues. Thats the whole arguement of this discussion.
Original post by Axiomasher
The thing is, this 'extremist feminism' isn't something I see in my day to day life, I sometimes see women who are concerned about women's, and usually men's, equitable treatment. I don't actually encounter women frothing at the mouth condemning men for being men. I'm not saying you won't be able to find some women like that (the world is full of all sorts). Instead, it seems to me that the internet is well populated with these far-right, alt-right types doing their best to tell us that more-or-less all feminists are like that and that therefore that's what 'feminism' is.

I've seen plenty of It, I know friends who have started to get involved with feminism and now they are the men are trash type of people. You go on social media and most of the females I have seen, even those with a huge following are regularly making comments and posts with this men are trash attitude. There are even massive marches in America where these extremist feminists go around and there are plenty of videos on YouTube of them screaming at men the encounter or any men that try to speak to them during the March.

Maybe there aren't as many extremist feminists but most feminists love to use statistics in their favour, I.e. there are more men in this field so it must be men's fault even if it might just be coincidence. They dream of this world where everything is divided equally between men and women to the percentage.
(edited 6 years ago)

Not sure where you're getting that from. Never met anyone claiming these things. Sure, a hash tag regarding men are trash in response to male violence towards women, but only hysteric hyperbole like you are displaying would interpret that as women think this all the time about all men, much less that all men should die.
Original post by Mr Dee Mented
LOOOOOOOL your an idiot.
Feminism is not "for women" its about equal rights between the genders. If thats the case they should care about male issues. Thats the whole arguement of this discussion.
you probs wanna find out more bout feminism before you come here and chat ****

This post is so deliciously ironic :smile: And that is already without the person calling someone else an idiot getting you're wrong.

Head over to Mumsnet and ask them if you are right or I am right. If you are so confident, you should have no problem doing that and proving me wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19

Feminism aims to mainly address and eradicate issues on the basis of equality - I don't think mainstream feminism wants 'all men to die', though that extreme brand of it definitely exists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending