The Student Room Group

Preparing for GCSEs in year 10

First of all, I would really like it if people didn't say things such as "Oh, that's way too early to revise for GCSEs" or "GCSEs aren't that important". They're important to me and I want to do well in them, which is why I'm revising early on. I'm not looking to do hours of revision everyday, but does anyone have any tips on how I should revise and how much I should revise? Also, are there any websites or apps out there that are good for GCSE preparation?
Hopefully u carry on thinking this way coz I’m doing my GCSES right now and I was thinking the same when I was in year 10.
Tips from me are basically read over what u have done in lesson that day at school so u understand it better. Just go over ur notes from class and read over the chapter in ur skl guide book or any other revision guide u have. (This will probably take u 10-15mins max for each subject uve had that day at skl) If u don’t understand then go ask a teacher or look online but make sure u understand it straight away (coz I’m teaching myself things my teachers failed to teach me since the past 2 years). Go on websites like get revising, BBC Bitesize, cliff notes and shmoop for English, and Kerboodle (if ur skl pays for that), mathswatch, maths genie, Corbett maths, on YouTube there’s freesciencelessons and mygcse, Quizlet
Also make flash cards everyday after skl for the things u learnt so if u do like a bit of a chapter from biology in skl that day make notes or flash cards when u get home when it’s fresh in ur mind so u don’t have to do it b4 ur exams

Hopefully that’s helped u but basically learn the content as u go along coz then u don’t have to learn it all a few weeks b4 ur exams like I am right now 😒
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mionio1069
First of all, I would really like it if people didn't say things such as "Oh, that's way too early to revise for GCSEs" or "GCSEs aren't that important". They're important to me and I want to do well in them, which is why I'm revising early on. I'm not looking to do hours of revision everyday, but does anyone have any tips on how I should revise and how much I should revise? Also, are there any websites or apps out there that are good for GCSE preparation?

It's pretty early, but I would just make make sure I'm on top of the game at this stage. AKA make sure you get constant 8/9s. Nothing too extravagant. I say this because I realised that GCSEs don't mean much. It's your sixth form career. If I could choose schools again, I would steer away from a grammar school. I'm having to do 11 subjects and half of them I don't care about. Why add the extra crap? It's just unnecessary and it applies here too.

Get revision guides and use them. It's time to start getting great at maths, if you're not too confident there. You'll be told to do past papers, make sure it's useful. If you approach it wrong, you'll find them useful. You should focus on key phrases. To get top grades, you need to have a deeper insight on patterns in the mark scheme. There are certain key words and phrasing structure. Practice papers should be done too early, they should be late stage and use as a means to find stuff you don't know and you need to actively use that to improve.
I would advise not to start revising now. You only have so much time left until you HAVE to start revising so i would appreciate the freedom while you have it. Im in the middle of the exam period and i honestly envy year 10s so much. Nevertheless, I would advise revising for topic tests that you may do in class etc and making sure you know and understand everything you learn in lesson. If you really want to start proper revision i would recommend the cgp revision guides. Every now and again just read through one of the topics and this will really help you in the future. It will make you familiar with each topic, what you have to know and also how to phrase it in a way that will get you marks.
Yes, there are very good resources online! I always recommend the following three:

Seneca Learning - has hundreds of practice questions for each exam board and most GCSE subjects - https://senecalearning.com/

Revision timetables - this blog explains how to create a good revision timetable that actually works - https://www.kent-teach.com/Blog/post/2018/05/02/how-to-create-a-revision-timetable-to-maximise-learning.aspx

Learning Scientists - they are actual scientists giving tips on the most effective ways to revise for exams - http://www.learningscientists.org/blog?category=For+Students

Quick Reply

Latest