The Student Room Group

Bacterial DNA in human genome

Hi!
I know that viruses (such as HIV) can insert their DNA (from RNA) into human DNA in cells, but can bacteria do this as well? My first thought is that they can't because they can't get into human cells.
Thanks in advance,
Jade :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hm, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so because the reason viruses do it is to replicate but bacteria replicate by binary fission so don't need to - the bacterial cells will invade the cells but don't inject their DNA into them, they just release toxins.
Original post by lucyv1234
Hm, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so because the reason viruses do it is to replicate but bacteria replicate by binary fission so don't need to - the bacterial cells will invade the cells but don't inject their DNA into them, they just release toxins.

Yea, that makes sense, i was just thinking because isn't some of human DNA bacterial DNA?
Original post by ProbablyJade
Yea, that makes sense, i was just thinking because isn't some of human DNA bacterial DNA?

Are you thinking of mitochondrial DNA by any chance?
If this is for GCSE, the spec teaches that although bacteria contain RNA, they cannot inject. We are taught that bacteria simply release toxins that damages cells.

So no.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Are you thinking of mitochondrial DNA by any chance?

Perhaps... that would make sense
Original post by mc_miah
If this is for GCSE, the spec teaches that although bacteria contain RNA, they cannot inject. We are taught that bacteria simply release toxins that damages cells.

So no.

I'm a-level and just wanted to know as opposed to academic reasons
Original post by Sulfolobus

Oh okay! So how would this take place between a bacterial/human cell if the human cell had no pilus?
Reply 9
Not all viruses store their genetic material in the form of RNA only retrovirals do HIV being one them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending