The Student Room Group

Your views on guns

Hi there,

I'm interested in finding out about how TSR finds guns and if they would want to see less restricted gun laws in the UK and about the gun control debate in the US.

Let me make my position clear.

I am pro gun. There are guns in my household. I know how to use them and I like guns. I want gun laws loosened in this country. I want the right to bear arms. With the crime in London, with the police unable to protect us, I think law abiding citizens should be able to carry firearms concealed or open, by either repealing the act that effectively banned regular barelled firearms, or carrying a rifle/shotgun.

As someone coming from a libertarian perspective, I think that it is cconcerning that the government can have so many weapons of their own and the people can't have that right.

I think in the US, its' too late to change gun laws drastically, but I would introduce a longer waiting time for weapons, and introduce better mental health care. The recent shooting in Texas was not with an "assault rifle", but a old revolver and a shotgun. Both weapons easily accessible in the UK, and shotguns are legal.

I have a good example to back up my claim about guns not being to do with school shootings. Look at Canada. Very few mass shootings and they have some of the most relaxed gun laws in the world. The Czech Republic, I recently went too. Citizens allowed to carry guns, own assault rifles to stop terrorists and own assault rifles in their homes for recreational purposes. The last mass shooting they had was in 2015 and only 8 people were killed.

I think that school shootings boil down to the culture in US schools of cliques and hirearchy rather than guns. Nicholas Cruz was bullied by other students and while that doesn't justify what he did, all the other shooters were bullied to some extent and this is a problem that needs to be dealt with more

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'll find that many people in the UK (if not the vast majority) do not support the gun laws to be relaxed.

Original post by qwertyK
. Look at Canada. Very few mass shootings and they have some of the most relaxed gun laws in the world.

Their gun laws are still pretty restrictive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
The waiting time for weapons are longer but you can still buy AR15s there, much more easily than in the UK
Reply 3
Again, the Czech Republic and Switzerland. Two counties with very Liberal gun laws and few mass shootings
Reply 4
given the amount of hatred for immigrants in the UK right now i think guns would be a very bad idea.

yeah, i'm from Canada and apparently we have more guns per capita than the US. do we have more relaxed gun laws, though? no, you might want to google that.

fyi you don't hear of as many shootings in Canada as the States because it's a different political culture/climate. .unless you're a criminal, you don't really care about having a gun in your house; it's not something we dwell on.
Reply 5
Original post by qwertyK
The waiting time for weapons are longer but you can still buy AR15s there, much more easily than in the UK

You would need to get a special licence for it and you can only fire them at certified gun ranges.

Meanwhile in the UK, you cannot legally own an AR15.

So yeah, they have some petty restrictive gun control.
Original post by Joleee
given the amount of hatred for immigrants in the UK right now i think guns would be a very bad idea.

yeah, i'm from Canada and apparently we have more guns per capita than the US. do we have more relaxed gun laws, though? no, you might want to google that.

fyi you don't hear of as many shootings in Canada as the States because it's a different political culture/climate. .unless you're a criminal, you don't really care about having a gun in your house; it's not something we dwell on.

How do you manage to turn everything into racism. You have a one-track mind, lady; you are completely obsessed with the idea of being racially abused. OP is taking about gun laws being relaxed and you make it about the public wanting to murder blacks. A delusional and unhealthy obsession.
Reply 7
You can own similar. Ar15models such as the HK416, but only in. 22 which is the same calibre as most air rifles or with a ten round magazine in. 223 but both are difficult to get
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
How do you manage to turn everything into racism. You have a one-track mind, lady; you are completely obsessed with the idea of being racially abused. OP is taking about gun laws being relaxed and you make it about the public wanting to murder blacks. A delusional and unhealthy obsession.

what? i wasn't making this about racism; i was mentioning the political climate, which apparently in the UK means an obsession on immigration as proven by brexit. introducing leaner gun laws in an unstable political climate where immigrants are hated doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by Joleee
what? i wasn't making this about racism; i was mentioning the political climate, which apparently in the UK means an obsession on immigration as proven by brexit. introducing leaner gun laws in an unstable political climate where immigrants are hated doesn't make sense to me.

How is saying Britain has violent opposition to immigrants not make this about racism? Taken in isolation, I might buy the relevance of political stability but you constantly talk about racism and prejudice. It would mean that the 99 other times you were bringing in racism needlessly but this time it is pertinent.
Original post by qwertyK
Hi there,

I'm interested in finding out about how TSR finds guns and if they would want to see less restricted gun laws in the UK and about the gun control debate in the US.

Let me make my position clear.

I am pro gun. There are guns in my household. I know how to use them and I like guns. I want gun laws loosened in this country. I want the right to bear arms. With the crime in London, with the police unable to protect us, I think law abiding citizens should be able to carry firearms concealed or open, by either repealing the act that effectively banned regular barelled firearms, or carrying a rifle/shotgun.

As someone coming from a libertarian perspective, I think that it is cconcerning that the government can have so many weapons of their own and the people can't have that right.

I think in the US, its' too late to change gun laws drastically, but I would introduce a longer waiting time for weapons, and introduce better mental health care. The recent shooting in Texas was not with an "assault rifle", but a old revolver and a shotgun. Both weapons easily accessible in the UK, and shotguns are legal.

I have a good example to back up my claim about guns not being to do with school shootings. Look at Canada. Very few mass shootings and they have some of the most relaxed gun laws in the world. The Czech Republic, I recently went too. Citizens allowed to carry guns, own assault rifles to stop terrorists and own assault rifles in their homes for recreational purposes. The last mass shooting they had was in 2015 and only 8 people were killed.

I think that school shootings boil down to the culture in US schools of cliques and hirearchy rather than guns. Nicholas Cruz was bullied by other students and while that doesn't justify what he did, all the other shooters were bullied to some extent and this is a problem that needs to be dealt with more

Yep lets legalise guns in the UK and end up like america with weekly school shootings!
Reply 11
Did you read anything other than the first sentence? I wrote that Canada has Liberal gun laws and they don't have mass shootings or school shootings all the time. It's to do with the bullying culture in US school
Original post by qwertyK
Did you read anything other than the first sentence? I wrote that Canada has Liberal gun laws and they don't have mass shootings or school shootings all the time. It's to do with the bullying culture in US school

UK would have a bullying culture too but maybe not as much as USA. There are almost zero gun crimes in UK so there is no reason to legalise guns. The florida guy literally shot his school cuz he got kicked out. The festival guy had several rifles that were all legal and liscenced. Yes UK wont be as bad as USA but it would still make it worse.
I like guns that go ''pew pew pew pew pew''
Reply 14
The festival guy was an ISIS convert as was the seucirty guard helping him. Of course the government won't mention that
Reply 15
I like it how you say zero gun crime gun crime is on the ride lots of shootings in London Liverpool Birmingham this year
Original post by qwertyK
The festival guy was an ISIS convert as was the seucirty guard helping him. Of course the government won't mention that

No I mean the white guy I cant remember his name the one who hired a room in a hotel. Anyway he would have killed 100 times less people if he didnt have guns
Reply 17
Yes that's what I meant.
Guns are probably what killed the USA. My point of view , no need of reducing any sorts of gun restrictions.
As for your points , Canada has a very restrictive gun policy which is perfect.
Switzerland has a lot of relaxed policies which would not be considered elsewhere.
The adverse effect of reducing gun restrictions is that , you'll not only arm yourself but also end up arming the negative influences in society, they won't need to illegally acquire their weapons anymore.
Easing gun laws , is gonna be an invitation to convert the UK , or for that concern , any country into a graveyard
Reply 19
Original post by Notoriety
How is saying Britain has violent opposition to immigrants not make this about racism? Taken in isolation, I might buy the relevance of political stability but you constantly talk about racism and prejudice. It would mean that the 99 other times you were bringing in racism needlessly but this time it is pertinent.

i guess i see immigration and racism as two separate issues. imho when people don't like immigrants, it's not because of the colour of their skin; it's because they come from somewhere else. immigrants are literally outsiders and too many of them have a detrimental effect to the nation's culture and economy; ergo, it doesn't really matter where they're from. that's why when i say 'immigrants' in my mind i'm saying a political issue, not a racial issue. sorry if i wasn't clear. btw, that's also why i don't consider everyone who voted 'leave' on immigration purposes as racists, either.

i'm not bringing racism into threads that don't call for it, but i do chime into thread that often talk about it. it's a popular debate right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending