The Student Room Group

The majority of medical students come from affluent neighbourhoods.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arran90

The internet could help students from a disconnected background where their teachers don't have a clue obtain the information that they are seeking (it's what I had to rely on myself) but it depends on whether knowledgeable people are willing to share their secrets online.

Maybe there could be a website for that? We could call it The Student Room :beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
I’d argue part of the issue is placed on the weighting of GCSE grades on medicine applications. Education is better for those who pay, and it’s not easy to be entirely focused on studying when you’re 15 and from an area where academic success isn’t really pushed for. I know a few people who now (in their second year of A-Levels) wish to study medicine but their GCSE grades were a setback.

Not just that, but education in general. Don’t get me wrong, you can achieve good results on your own absolutely, many people do. But it’s still an issue.
Such a delusionally useless post, and the point being? An assumption can be made is that the aspirations of those from lower income backgrounds to become a medic may be significantly lower to those from affluent neighborhoods. This is true. Coming from a state comprehensive, the number of students wanting to enter into medicine was less than 5% (12/240 students). However transitioning to my current sixth form, a prestigious independent school, Harrow; medicine "has always been a popular career choice for many boys", with a dedicated medical society. Medicine is a popular choice for those in independent schools, perhaps because of their medical backgrounds (family/relatives) ; their academic acumen and potential may satisfy the demands of medicine; entering into a respectable profession or simply having the responsibility of helping others. Medicine courses at university is a 5/6 year journey (a lot of money, although student finance can alleviate economic issues) and are academically challenging, with private schools students being more prepared- With exposure to a competitive environment, national competitions, mock seminars, and interviews. However in spite of this, why focus on opening additional opportunities to those from lower-income backgrounds to be encouraged into medicine, if a large proportion of them simply are not interested, and most importantly if there is a large array of leniencies, contextual flaggings, summer schools and outreach programmes to those who are interested. What else do we need? Nothing, aspiring medical applicants from lower income backgrounds face one general issue, academics.
Many hospital trusts have work experience programmes, accessible to all. Volunteering is accessible to all, and many institutions are willingly accepting for new recruits. Outreach programmes are rife, with UNIQ, Sutton trust summer schools, and with Nuffield Research placements providing bursary support. Medics have a plethora of opportunities, individuals need to seek them!
Original post by Science99999
Such a delusionally useless post, and the point being? An assumption can be made is that the aspirations of those from lower income backgrounds to become a medic may be significantly lower to those from affluent neighborhoods. This is true. Coming from a state comprehensive, the number of students wanting to enter into medicine was less than 5% (12/240 students). However transitioning to my current sixth form, a prestigious independent school, Harrow; medicine "has always been a popular career choice for many boys", with a dedicated medical society. Medicine is a popular choice for those in independent schools, perhaps because of their medical backgrounds (family/relatives) ; their academic acumen and potential may satisfy the demands of medicine; entering into a respectable profession or simply having the responsibility of helping others. Medicine courses at university is a 5/6 year journey (a lot of money, although student finance can alleviate economic issues) and are academically challenging, with private schools students being more prepared- With exposure to a competitive environment, national competitions, mock seminars, and interviews. However in spite of this, why focus on opening additional opportunities to those from lower-income backgrounds to be encouraged into medicine, if a large proportion of them simply are not interested, and most importantly if there is a large array of leniencies, contextual flaggings, summer schools and outreach programmes to those who are interested. What else do we need? Nothing, aspiring medical applicants from lower income backgrounds face one general issue, academics.

It's not that they "aren't interested", they simply don't think it's a realistic opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Maybe there could be a website for that? We could call it The Student Room :beard:

I would recommend that they join TSR but it's not a magic bullet solution. The very best teacher is one who has travelled the road which you want to travel. How many such people are they on TSR? The majority of people here (apart from agent provocateurs) are students themselves so it has the potential to create a situation of the blind leading the blind when it comes to matters beyond studies, just like in the school playground. I happen to be an exception as I'm not a student and I'm older by at least 10 years than most people here but I'm not a medic.

There's also the possibility that most of the students who do know the secrets of success when it comes to professional careers are not members of TSR or won't share their secrets here. The public school toffs might even view TSR as an online community of plebs and middle class wannabees !!!
Original post by Arran90
I would recommend that they join TSR but it's not a magic bullet solution. The very best teacher is one who has travelled the road which you want to travel. How many such people are they on TSR? The majority of people here (apart from agent provocateurs) are students themselves so it has the potential to create a situation of the blind leading the blind when it comes to matters beyond studies, just like in the school playground. I happen to be an exception as I'm not a student and I'm older by at least 10 years than most people here but I'm not a medic.

There's also the possibility that most of the students who do know the secrets of success when it comes to professional careers are not members of TSR or won't share their secrets here. The public school toffs might even view TSR as an online community of plebs and middle class wannabees !!!

The regulars in the Medicine forum are *very* experienced, very helpful, and quickly spot and correct misinformation spread by those less knowledgeable.
The regulars in the Medicine forum are *very* experienced, very helpful, and quickly spot and correct misinformation spread by those less knowledgeable.

I'm aware of the Medicine forum but not being a medic myself I'm not in a good position to evaluate the material posted there.

If the material is first rate to the point where anybody reading it has the same, or higher, degree of advantage to a student at private school with highly knowledgeable staff when it comes to medical admissions procedures then it renders this discussion close to pointless and irrelevant.
Original post by Arran90
I'm aware of the Medicine forum but not being a medic myself I'm not in a good position to evaluate the material posted there.

If the material is first rate to the point where anybody reading it has the same, or higher, degree of advantage to a student at private school with highly knowledgeable staff when it comes to medical admissions procedures then it renders this discussion close to pointless and irrelevant.

Most Y11 pupils (nevermind Y12 or Y13) have precisely zero awareness of TSR.

And obviously it's not enough on it's own. But you yourself said "The internet could help students from a disconnected background" so I simply pointed out that TSR can be that resource.
Most Y11 pupils (nevermind Y12 or Y13) have precisely zero awareness of TSR.

Evidence please?! Only a small fraction might be registered users but many more could be reading stuff here.
Original post by Arran90
Evidence please?! Only a small fraction might be registered users but many more could be reading stuff here.

If you have evidence to the contrary I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Although it's only by posting (i.e. being a registered user) that you will get advice tailored to your circumstances.

But yes, if there's lots of Y11 lurkers that would be pretty great too. I don't mind if I'm wrong on my assertion - but I honestly doubt it. And I suspect the most disadvantaged are among the least likely to be on TSR too - I have no evidence, just a feeling.
And I suspect the most disadvantaged are among the least likely to be on TSR too - I have no evidence, just a feeling.

Again I ask, how is disadvantaged defined for the purpose of this discussion?
Original post by Arran90
Again I ask, how is disadvantaged defined for the purpose of this discussion?

The context is in the OP.
The context is in the OP.

In that case why not simply use the more precise term poor rather than disadvantaged, which is nebulous as students can be disadvantaged in over 1001 different ways?!
Its just the standard middle class cultural norm. If you come from a long line of professionals you aren't suddenly gonna want to be the first person in your family to work in a warehouse.
I think that the financial situation of parents is not clear cut. There are poorer families who invest heavily in their children's education - read post #103 about the south Asian families - and there are more affluent families who are unwilling to invest in their children's education although they may spend large sums of money on toys, entertainment, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending