The Student Room Group

Mechanisms of reaction

I've been given this question due in tomorrow and I really don't understand it could someone pls help???

Draw out the mechanism for the reaction of propene with chlorine. Show your steps clearly
I've drawn the mechanism for this reaction and attached it.

The first step is where the pi-bond in propene induces a dipole in Cl2, and this causes the pi-bond to attack the delta-positive end of Cl2. The covalent bond in Cl2 undergoes heterolytic fission, hence forming a carbocation intermediate along with a chloride ion.

In the second step, the chloride ion acts as a nucleophile as it has a lone pair of electrons, which the carbocation can accept. Hence, this nucleophile attacks the carbocation, and forms a new C-Cl bond - the reaction is then complete.

The product formed is 1,2-dichloropropane.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kian Stevens
I've drawn the mechanism for this reaction and attached it.

The first step is where the pi-bond in propene induces a dipole in Cl2, and this causes pi-bond to attack the delta-positive end of Cl2. The covalent bond in Cl2 undergoes heterolytic fission, hence forming a carbocation intermediate along with a chloride ion.

In the second step, the chloride ion acts as a nucleophile as it has a lone pair of electrons, which the carbocation can accept. Hence, this nucleophile attacks the carbocation, and forms a new C-Cl bond - the reaction is then complete.

The product formed is 1,2-dichloropropane.

thank you for this :smile:)
Reply 3
I think this is about free radical subsitution.
Original post by funtz
I think this is about free radical subsitution.

It would be radical substitution if it was propane and chlorine (in the presence of UV).

However, this is propene and chlorine, hence the mechanism will be electrophilic addition.

Quick Reply

Latest