The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Girl but not a feminist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TellThisF
Feminism is stupid it shoild be made illegal. It only causes more conflict. The world is equal enough today.

How is feminism stupid? It is thanks to feminism that women can now vote, work the same jobs as men, file divorces and many other civil liberties that had been denied to them for centuries.
Original post by grace2019
Discriminating against someone due to their gender is illegal. Lol.

Yes you are correct but you have Trump saying "grab them by the p-ssy" oh look he aint locked up in jail, instead hes making racks upon racks of money. My point is you cant just 'end' sexism you can only face it.
Do you dislike the common mental image and conception of feminists that the public generally has today, and want to avoid that, or do you genuinely not think you should have the same rights and opportunities as men?
It’s so annoying too as people spend so long arguing with people they agree with all because they don’t understand the word. I’m sure fundamentally my views on this matter are the same as women who don’t consider themselves feminists. All it takes is one google search- the amount of ignorance is shocking.

Well the majority of people who claim to not be a feminist actually know nothing about the history of feminism. I doubt many people on here have read books by feminists like Mary Wollstonecraft or Virginia Woolf.
Reply 24
Original post by TellThisF
What do feminsst expect? Make sexism illegal? Lmao

It wouldn't be necessary if people just showed mutual respect.
Original post by Moxholl
It wouldn't be necessary if people just showed mutual respect.

Yes but realistically in a population of 7 1/2 billion ppl that will never happen.
Reply 26
Original post by ihatespongebob
Well the majority of people who claim to not be a feminist actually know nothing about the history of feminism. I doubt many people on here have read books by feminists like Mary Wollstonecraft or Virginia Woolf.

It seems to be a question of identity more than anything: people often do not identify as feminist while still supporting the general ideals of it. I would argue this is simply because of perception of the movement and the fact that any large movement gets lumbered with some toxic members and ideas, which are what people associate with it.
If you type define feminism into google, it will define it as ‘the advocacy of women’s rights based upon equality of the sexes.’ Maybe, this is the definition that your fellow classmates are familiar with and they thought it was strange for you as a woman to not believe you deserve the same rights as men.

Oh and don’t forget it is thanks to feminists like Mary Wollstonecraft that you can attend a school and get a education.

Well, considering my background. I’m not sure how to feel about the whole “thank feminists for this and that”. I meant, I do, of course I do. But a hundred years ago, when the suffrage movement finally led to women getting the right to vote, minoritites living there at the time, male or female, still couldn’t vote. In fact, they were still fighting for their rights until universally, they could around 1965.

I do appreciate everything that feminism has done/accomplished in the grand scheme of things. But it’s a bit iffy to me that people always talk about how much feminists did for women yet minority women had to keep fighting a while longer. :s-smilie:

Please don’t take what I say in offense or whatever but they is simply how I feel. I believe feminists have achieved great things but I still can’t consider myself one.
Do you think Theresa May is a feminist?
Original post by ItsTomii
...I am a girl and don’t identify as a feminist AMA

What's your favourite movie?
It’s so annoying too as people spend so long arguing with people they agree with all because they don’t understand the word. I’m sure fundamentally my views on this matter are the same as women who don’t consider themselves feminists. All it takes is one google search- the amount of ignorance is shocking.

You say there’s a large amount of ignorance, I’m sure you’re including me, but I never once said I was against or disagreed with the movement. I simply said I don’t consider myself apart of it. Have anything else to ask?
Original post by Axiomasher
What's your favourite movie?

The Prince of Egypt :h:
Original post by DSutch
Do you think Theresa May is a feminist?

I haven’t really been keeping up that much with politics :s-smilie: So I’ll have to look into that :dontknow:

Though whether people view themselves one way or another, I don’t really care. Just as long as I’m not dismissed for my own.
The Prince of Egypt :h:

Interesting. Are you a Christian?
Original post by Axiomasher
Interesting. Are you a Christian?

Yep!
Yep!

No further questions m'lord.
Reply 36
Well, considering my background. I’m not sure how to feel about the whole “thank feminists for this and that”. I meant, I do, of course I do. But a hundred years ago, when the suffrage movement finally led to women getting the right to vote, minoritites living there at the time, male or female, still couldn’t vote. In fact, they were still fighting for their rights until universally, they could around 1965.

I do appreciate everything that feminism has done/accomplished in the grand scheme of things. But it’s a bit iffy to me that people always talk about how much feminists did for women yet minority women had to keep fighting a while longer. :s-smilie:

Please don’t take what I say in offense or whatever but they is simply how I feel. I believe feminists have achieved great things but I still can’t consider myself one.

I absolutely agree that this was a serious flaw of the suffrage movement, they didn't support minority groups in the same way that minority groups tend to support each other today.
However, you have to start somewhere.
(edited 5 years ago)

Do you believe women deserve the same rights and liberties as men? If the answer is yes, then you are a feminist. You don’t need to be actively participating in feminist marches etc to be a feminist. The majority of people living in a Western democracy are feminists. If you weren’t a feminist, you would be sitting at home, obediently cooking for a man, rather than trying to get an education because you wouldn’t believe you deserve the same opportunities and rights as men.

Again, as I said earlier, feminism is a movement that has spanned centuries. The suffragettes are simply one aspect of feminist history. They do not represent the whole history of feminism. Feminism did not begin and end with the suffragettes. The Black British Panthers were very influential in the feminist movement, as were other LGBT groups etc.

And yes, the suffragettes were not successful in helping minority women but their actions did do a lot for women. Martin Luther King Jr did not do much for poor working class black people in cities but does that mean we should simply dismiss his campaigning and claim he did nothing useful to combat racism.

I feel you don’t really know exactly what feminism is beyond what you see women with crazy hair doing on TV. That’s not feminism. That’s just attention seeking. Real feminism is about equality of the sexes.
Do you believe women deserve the same rights and liberties as men? If the answer is yes, then you are a feminist. You don’t need to be actively participating in feminist marches etc to be a feminist. The majority of people living in a Western democracy are feminists. If you weren’t a feminist, you would be sitting at home, obediently cooking for a man, rather than trying to get an education because you wouldn’t believe you deserve the same opportunities and rights as men.

Again, as I said earlier, feminism is a movement that has spanned centuries. The suffragettes are simply one aspect of feminist history. They do not represent the whole history of feminism. Feminism did not begin and end with the suffragettes. The Black British Panthers were very influential in the feminist movement, as were other LGBT groups etc.

And yes, the suffragettes were not successful in helping minority women but their actions did do a lot for women. Martin Luther King Jr did not do much for poor working class black people in cities but does that mean we should simply dismiss his campaigning and claim he did nothing useful to combat racism.

I feel you don’t really know exactly what feminism is beyond what you see women with crazy hair doing on TV. That’s not feminism. That’s just attention seeking. Real feminism is about equality of the sexes.

I personally don’t believe that you should have to label yourself as a feminist if you believe in equality of the sexes. Surely believing in equality for everyone is a naturally moral thing that everyone, despite whether you identify as a feminist or not, does. Why should I have to ACTIVELY name myself a feminist to be seen as a person in today’s society who believes that everyone should be equal based on their sexes?

This modern day society is truly sad if that’s the case. Once again, I don’t disagree with feminism.
Reply 39
I personally don’t believe that you should have to label yourself as a feminist if you believe in equality of the sexes. Surely believing in equality for everyone is a naturally moral thing that everyone, despite whether you identify as a feminist or not, does. Why should I have to ACTIVELY name myself a feminist to be seen as a person in today’s society who believes that everyone should be equal based on their sexes?

This modern day society is truly sad if that’s the case. Once again, I don’t disagree with feminism.

Yeah, I don't identify as a feminist, but I do believe in equal rights across both genders (and all races for that matter) and no one has the right to force me to identify as a feminist. If people choose to define feminist as meaning believing in equal rights, then they can refer to me as one, but I don't consider myself one. Call me whatever you want to call me: feminist, person-with-morals, or even a slithy tove.

Latest

Trending

Trending