The Student Room Group

Helpp

4A72847E-E8D2-4D15-AFC2-2532702759E6.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
look for a common pattern
create a formula using n which will change according to the pattern
e.g when n = 1, how will you make it a formula that will make it equal the total number of squares. same for n = 2.
it's simple trial and error
Reply 2
Original post by Routeri
look for a common pattern
create a formula using n which will change according to the pattern
e.g when n = 1, how will you make it a formula that will make it equal the total number of squares. same for n = 2.
it's simple trial and error

I’ve tried to find a formula but I’m so confused
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Fayeeeee
I’ve tried to find a formula but I’m so confused

Think about what you have to do to the pattern numbers (n) to get the number of centermetre squares that corresponds with them.
Reply 4
Original post by Routeri
Think about what you have to do to the pattern numbers (n) to get the number of centermetre squares that corresponds with them.

I don’t understand 😂
Could it be n 3 or something ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Fayeeeee
I don’t understand 😂
Could it be n 3 or something ?

you're close
Reply 6
Original post by Routeri
you're close

I’m rlly not sure, isn’t it n plus 3?
(edited 5 years ago)
Okay, read all of this first and then read is again but slowly (if needed). 1st Pattern : 4 squares. 2nd Pattern: 7 Squares. 3rd Pattern : 10 Squares. As the pattern progresses, the number of squares increases by 3 each time. What we do is we get the number the squares added each time and stick an n on it as the number of squares goes up 3 each time for each pattern, so the first bit of the expression is 3n. What you do next is you get the number of squares (4, 7, 10...) and you take away 3n (n being the pattern number) so 4-(3*1), 7-(3*2), 10-(3*3)... . You should notice that the answer to each subtraction is the same (1). This makes the nth term 3n+1 since the number of squares seems to always be 3 multiplied by the number pattern plus 1. You should notice that this expression is basically the 3 times table plus 1. Hopefully this helps. Take your time reading and understanding if necessary.If you don't get something, feel free to mention it.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest