The Student Room Group

Should Veganism be recognised as a religion?

This would allow it some legal protections and laws can be enforced to benefit the group and ideology.
Of course not. It will be a bit hard, unless you want to also consider the same for teetotallers
It's a philosophical belief, of which the law does protect in some instances, but it isn't a religious one... unless someone's veganism (or vegetarianism) were to be founded upon a religious belief, EG: "God doesn't want me to eat meat" or something like that.

IIRC we're currently expecting a verdict as to whether veganism can be considered a protected philosophical belief under the law.
hahaha. no
It can be a philosophical belief or just deitry choice, I don't believe it should be a protected characteristic.
Original post by Burge91
This would allow it some legal protections and laws can be enforced to benefit the group and ideology.

november oscar
No.
Veganism is not a religion, although there are some strict religious vegans (hindus and buddhists).
Veganism can be described as a lifestyle choice, dietary regime or a philosophy.

I'm yet to meet the vegan who claims that vegan ideology requires or would benefit from legal enforcement.
Nor that vegan persons require enhanced legal protection in the UK.
Even militant vegans have not adopted these positions.
If a large enough number of vegans were, say, being fired specifically and solely for being vegans then perhaps there'd be some reason to believe that veganism should become a protected characteristic (or encompassed by the current rules on philosophical beliefs).

That said this doesn't happen, at least not from what I can find online.
All hail our lord and saviour tofu.
Original post by Violet Femme
All hail our lord and saviour tofu.

:nah:
Reply 10
Can I have gravy?
It's about as religious as any other fad/trend.
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
Can I have gravy?

1.5 cups veg stock
0.25 cups soy sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
0.5 cup of water
high simmer

add brown rice flour slowly while whisking the lumps away

=> gravy
Reply 13
Original post by Burge91
1.5 cups veg stock
0.25 cups soy sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
0.5 cup of water
high simmer

add brown rice flour slowly while whisking the lumps away

=> gravy

Nice
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
It's about as religious as any other fad/trend.

I assure you it aint no passing craze. The readily accessible truths of the unjust ways Homo sapiens treats a great many of its fellow animal species will never now go away, and the things people have seen cannot be unseen.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I assure you it aint no passing craze. The readily accessible truths of the unjust ways Homo sapiens treats a great many of its fellow animal species will never now go away, and the things people have seen cannot be unseen.

Once there is no use for their existence the green nazis will have them exterminated in the name of environmentalism.
Original post by Burge91

surprised you have done a poll for this topic
face of veganism :lol:

Original post by Burge91

Nah, I personally don't like the sound of that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending