The Student Room Group

Cultured meat, would you eat it?

Cultured Beef is created by painlessly harvesting muscle cells from a living cow. Scientists then feed and nurture the cells so they multiply to create muscle tissue, which is the main component of the meat we eat. It is biologically exactly the same as the meat tissue that comes from a cow so to all the people whom says it is not real meat, it is meat biologically or go back to school and learn basic biology.

Pros

Space
The Daily Express reports that in the UK, 85% of the total land footprint “is associated with animal products, with the land footprint of commercial lab-grown meat being 99% lower than for normal animal husbandry”.
“We can produce the same amount of meat in factories on 1% of the land it presently takes us to do it,” Prie said.
Sustainability
In America, consumers eat 26 billion pounds (13 million tons) of beef each year, which Wired says “demands a massive industrialised livestock system that is problematic for the planet”.
Worldwide, livestock “may be responsible for 15% of greenhouse gas emissions”, the magazine adds, and switching to lab-grown meat would reduce these emissions by up to 96%.
As such, it has been touted as a possible solution to global warming and climate change, and should theoretically lead to a reduction in deforestation for livestock purposes. Prie adds: “It's sustainable, environmentally friendly, we don't have to cut down rainforests to plant crops to feed animals if you're growing it in factories.”
Animal welfare
The system of farm-based meat production “rarely has the animals’ best interests in mind”, Wired says, and animal welfare in meat-producing farms and factories has long been a source of controversy worldwide.
Lab-grown meat, meanwhile, could be “environmentally and animal-welfare friendly, ethical, and less likely to carry diseases”, The Conversation suggests.
“It could increase the proportion of happy animals on Earth if it replaced intensive farm animal production. By happy, we mean well nourished, comfortable, healthy, free from pain, and able to perform.”
Health benefits
“Doing away with slaughterhouses could reduce the risk of food-borne illnesses, as well as diseases transmitted between live animals and humans,” Faunalytics says.
“In addition, lab-grown meat could easily supplemented with vitamins and minerals that are not found in natural meat and replace animal fats with healthier fats such as omega 3 or other.”

Cons
would produce greenhouses gases if it is run by coal, gas or other emitting substances but unless it is run by green energy, it will produce 94% to 97% less greenhouses gases than the coventional meat.

job losses unless the farmers covert their livestock farms into plant (fruits, veg and other) farms (jobs losses will still occur but in a lesser degree)

overall the Pros outweigh the Cons but sadly few republicans in USA are already against this as it is not "natural" or not "real meat" and somehow they think factory farming is natural :/

Scroll to see replies

no, I want normal meat. normal being, you raise the animal on the some land, you kill it, then eat it. I don't want scientists messing with my meat.

EDIT: I say that, but at the same time, I'll eat almost anything so whatever 🤷😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
define normal, because it is the same meat overall but just a different way of getting meat in lament term.
Original post by Leviathan1611
no, I want normal meat. normal being, you raise the animal on the some land, you kill it, then eat it. I don't want scientists messing with my meat.

EDIT: I say that, but at the same time, I'll eat almost anything so whatever 🤷😂
I already eat so much crap that's filled with chemicals anyway, so meat that's grown in a lab isn't going to bother me. Also, animals don't have to die so I really don't see the problem.
Original post by Scrollery
define normal, because it is the same meat overall but just a different way of getting meat in lament term.

I did, didn't I? by normal, I mean, it's not being grown in a lab.
Reply 5
but factory meat is not normal either, we still use labs to poduces chemicals to make cows, chickens and pigs to grow bigger, faster and cheaper and chemicals for antibiotics which is a problem so theorically we will be usng much less lab chemicals if it was lab meat instead of coventional meat (check the amount of chemicals we inject in the animals and animal's foods)
Original post by Leviathan1611
I did, didn't I? by normal, I mean, it's not being grown in a lab.
Reply 6
If that's all there is to it, then I'm all for it.
Cultured Beef is created by painlessly harvesting muscle cells from a living cow. Scientists then feed and nurture the cells so they multiply to create muscle tissue, which is the main component of the meat we eat. It is biologically exactly the same as the meat tissue that comes from a cow so to all the people whom says it is not real meat, it is meat biologically or go back to school and learn basic biology.

Pros

Space
The Daily Express reports that in the UK, 85% of the total land footprint “is associated with animal products, with the land footprint of commercial lab-grown meat being 99% lower than for normal animal husbandry”.
“We can produce the same amount of meat in factories on 1% of the land it presently takes us to do it,” Prie said.
Sustainability
In America, consumers eat 26 billion pounds (13 million tons) of beef each year, which Wired says “demands a massive industrialised livestock system that is problematic for the planet”.
Worldwide, livestock “may be responsible for 15% of greenhouse gas emissions”, the magazine adds, and switching to lab-grown meat would reduce these emissions by up to 96%.
As such, it has been touted as a possible solution to global warming and climate change, and should theoretically lead to a reduction in deforestation for livestock purposes. Prie adds: “It's sustainable, environmentally friendly, we don't have to cut down rainforests to plant crops to feed animals if you're growing it in factories.”
Animal welfare
The system of farm-based meat production “rarely has the animals’ best interests in mind”, Wired says, and animal welfare in meat-producing farms and factories has long been a source of controversy worldwide.
Lab-grown meat, meanwhile, could be “environmentally and animal-welfare friendly, ethical, and less likely to carry diseases”, The Conversation suggests.
“It could increase the proportion of happy animals on Earth if it replaced intensive farm animal production. By happy, we mean well nourished, comfortable, healthy, free from pain, and able to perform.”
Health benefits
“Doing away with slaughterhouses could reduce the risk of food-borne illnesses, as well as diseases transmitted between live animals and humans,” Faunalytics says.
“In addition, lab-grown meat could easily supplemented with vitamins and minerals that are not found in natural meat and replace animal fats with healthier fats such as omega 3 or other.”

Cons
would produce greenhouses gases if it is run by coal, gas or other emitting substances but unless it is run by green energy, it will produce 94% to 97% less greenhouses gases than the coventional meat.

job losses unless the farmers covert their livestock farms into plant (fruits, veg and other) farms (jobs losses will still occur but in a lesser degree)

overall the Pros outweigh the Cons but sadly few republicans in USA are already against this as it is not "natural" or not "real meat" and somehow they think factory farming is natural :/
would rather eat normal natural meat, than some bland, dry lab meat
but factory meat is not normal either, we still use labs to poduces chemicals to make cows, chickens and pigs to grow bigger, faster and cheaper and chemicals for antibiotics which is a problem so theorically we will be usng much less lab chemicals if it was lab meat instead of coventional meat (check the amount of chemicals we inject in the animals and animal's foods)

Why on earth would we be using less “lab chemicals” to grow tissue literally in a lab that has no physical method of breaking down larger proteins etc. as any creature would using its digestive system. Pretty much screaming for abuse with growth products.
Yeah of course, cruelty free meat is preferable to factory farmed meat
Providing that it tastes good, yes.
Reply 11
lab is not breaking down, they just covert the stem cells into other cells and use nutriets to grow them and I mean less types of chemicals, we use 100 of types of chemicals to grow animals but in lab meat, we are able to use less types of cheimcals.
Original post by Vikingninja
Why on earth would we be using less “lab chemicals” to grow tissue literally in a lab that has no physical method of breaking down larger proteins etc. as any creature would using its digestive system. Pretty much screaming for abuse with growth products.
Reply 12
they using the same cells so the meat is still the same :/ and you can possibily customise the taste of the meat so you can add more fat.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
would rather eat normal natural meat, than some bland, dry lab meat
Depends, if it gave me wings or the power to be invisible, then the short answer would be yes. :yep:

Otherwise, if there's a risk of cancer or infertility, then the answer would be nope. :no:
lab is not breaking down, they just covert the stem cells into other cells and use nutriets to grow them and I mean less types of chemicals, we use 100 of types of chemicals to grow animals but in lab meat, we are able to use less types of cheimcals.

... I'm talking about breaking down sources of nutrients. The point of us putting chemicals in animals is to make them grow faster not to start any growth, why on earth would there be any stop or reduction to usage of chemicals at all for the purpose of making it faster.
they using the same cells so the meat is still the same :/ and you can possibily customise the taste of the meat so you can add more fat.

Here's the thing: meat in an animal has actually developed through regular usage of it in movement, this would not be doing that and there would be a hefty price tag on being able to provide high quality nutrients for it already separated. This would only replace low quality meat.
Reply 16
moved to Society
Reply 17
here is a thing: scinetists are able to customise the meat as I said again so no point of arguing as they can make the meat lean, meat with high amount of fat or high quality meat :/
Here's the thing: meat in an animal has actually developed through regular usage of it in movement, this would not be doing that and there would be a hefty price tag on being able to provide high quality nutrients for it already separated. This would only replace low quality meat.
here is a thing: scinetists are able to customise the meat as I said again so no point of arguing as they can make the meat lean, meat with high amount of fat or high quality meat :/

No high quality meat has developed because it has actually been used for movement, this is some slab that is sitting in a lab not doing anything. You don't go and "customise" meat, it develops through use.
Reply 19
It can, check the scientific studies, it is complex biology editing, so it is possible to make high quality meat and I say it again, they can customse meat so there is no point of arguing. they can easily build up the same molecular formula that makes meat high quaility, because the movement create more lean meat and better fat (high quality meat) so the scientists can easily copy the formula or meat type :/ (seriously check the studies, it is possible lol)
No high quality meat has developed because it has actually been used for movement, this is some slab that is sitting in a lab not doing anything. You don't go and "customise" meat, it develops through use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending