The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I loved Rise and Fall, it was very long but the questions were nice and easy.
Module 5 was strangely short, I had a quick panic when I left the exam because I thought I may have missed some end questions or something (was the last question about the two charged particles and nuclear something or other?), but I thought the questions were fairly nice.
Reply 101
Rise and Fall was easy :biggrin:
Enjoyed the show thats and maths but some just got me confused and mind went blank but hopefully 70%+ this time :wink:

Field and particles though :mad:
Hoping for D because coursework was 100% so it should go to C or B
Reply 102
I really enjoyed the FPP paper actually :biggrin: It was definitely a lot easier for me than some of the practice papers I've done..:redface:

Hoping for an A, most of the calculation questions were straight forward but I thought I did some of the 'explain' type questions quite sloppily :frown:
Reply 103
I felt RFCU was really easy and nice however FPP was an absolute nightmare. I completely cocked up section A and then dropped atleast 8 marks in Section B by not writing anything coherent for the calcualtions.

The E=n^2h^2 etc didn't have a clue how to do that and then on the fianl page the 2 mark question where you had to get to 4MV and the one after that I couldn't do. What was tha answer to the one following the 4MV question?
Reply 104
Ecno
I felt RFCU was really easy and nice however FPP was an absolute nightmare. I completely cocked up section A and then dropped atleast 8 marks in Section B by not writing anything coherent for the calcualtions.

The E=n^2h^2 etc didn't have a clue how to do that and then on the fianl page the 2 mark question where you had to get to 4MV and the one after that I couldn't do. What was tha answer to the one following the 4MV question?

I think I got 2x10^8 eV for the one after the 4MV one... :s-smilie: I hope that's right
Reply 105
^ were we supposed to answer it in eV as opposed to J ?
Ecno

You had to work out that lamda=2d/n and then substitue it into p=h/lamda and then square momentum and substitute into E=p^2/2m

Overall quite a hard paper? I think so. Single coiled transformers were quite interesting though..
Reply 107
*bobo*
^ were we supposed to answer it in eV as opposed to J ?

Pretty sure yeah
Reply 108
oopsie :frown:
i think it said eV on the dotted line didn't it?
Reply 110
i found the first moduel very good and the second was ok only thing i didnt like was the question we had to re arange that E =p/md or something
Reply 111
ah man....those papers..
cant say I messed up or anything, but even with the practice papers I was doing I was getting 73-77% and those I didnt think I was messing up while I was doing them either so its just really confusing how these ones went!?

I got that re-arranging question at the last second!- literally. Just managed to pen in down as the woman said stop writing!

What did you guys write for that random weightlessness question- it kept emphasising on atmospheric pressure, thickness of atmosphere so that I didnt know whether its a straight forward gravity question or what?

And also what about that neutron question- why more than 1 neutron is necessary for a chain reaction?
Reply 112
Clockwork went really well for me! Yay!
Field and particle pictures, not so well. The section A was fine, the first 2 questions in section B was fine, but the last two questions, aaaarrgghh!
What equations did you use on the one with 2 nuclei, there was a find it as 4MV and then a follow up, hence show that question. What did you put?
Reply 113
For the freefall weightlessness question i basically said in space the ship and passengers could fall unheeded by air resitance towards earth at the same rate and so weightlessness. With air resistance because of atm pressure there would be a fircitonal force on the ship slowing it down a bit, but no change to passengers as they're inside and so the people will be falling faster than the ship -> weightedness.

For the stable chain reaction i really didn't form a cohesive argument...

f i remember right you find the Elec potential as 4MV and then had to find the potential energy so you times by the charge of the other particle (46e) to give in joules... but it wanted eV so the e's cancel and it was just 46 * 4*10^6 eV
Reply 114
I used E=KQq/r for the first one, I didn't transfer to MV (my mistake)
for the second, it said potential so i used KQ/r.
Hope that's right.
I REALLY need at least a B for this,so I hope the grade boundaries are low, like 76% for an A or so.
Reply 115
wht did u get in your AS darkad1 if you did well enough in them and in your coursework you should be able to get an a B with around 60% up in 2863 and 2864 and do decent enough in the synoptic
Reply 116
@ fointy....well for the weightlessness thing what you said was exactly what I was thinking and kinda wrote but as you sed for your other answer- it wasnt a cohesive answer at all. I mess up acc with speed and such when im wording these answers... and er looks like i got the electric potential one right atleast.

lowered grade boundaries to 76% for and A!!! i so wish that happens. thats the range ive been getting ib past papers...haha. But yeh all rests on coursework marks which reminds me...WHAT % is coursework worth for each module? The specification really confused me with its odd percentages....and marks which didnt add up.
Reply 117
I think that those papers were reasonable. i put the same stuff as you guys (Krystal + Fointy) have, although it was probably a bit of a rambled explaination. I couldnt do that E=n^2h^2 crap. Clockwork went better than Field and Particle.
The best part of the paper was the pub after it though.
Im hoping for an A cos done decent in c/w etc.
I am quite confused with few questions in 2864
The second last question of section A
the one about the fussion
In the last question it asked why H needs huge energy to make the reaction happen

I had no idea at all. I put:because helium is much bigger and heavier.thus inside the helium bigger binding energy is bound its protons together. Therefore the H need to have huge kinetic energy to bind with other particle.
It's this answer correct.
Reply 119
It wasnt that huge an amount of energy, something x 10^-14 i thought. Not sure what the answer was. It was one of the ones i just guessed an answer at. Put something about boltzman factor but that was a plain old guess.

Latest