The Student Room Group

A level Physics Magnetic Fields

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lm5NVasRsXaqWMQw2et2-jGzj7xSA8yU/view?usp=sharing
I need help with these two questions so can someone please explain them to me. For Question 13 I thought the answer was zero because I was thinking the reading can't be a negative value that doesn't make sense.. but nope.
As for question 14, I thought that the forces would be greatest on the wire with the greatest length which was perpendicular to the magnetic field. Mark scheme said it was to do with the area of the coils but I don't understand why. I was using the equation F=BIL to justify my answer.
(edited 4 years ago)
For 13 it would be -322g, as current is reversed and doubles mean it experiences double the force but it will act upwards, therefore giving -322g. For 14, the one with the highest area will give the highest magnetic flux passing through between the loop, giving the highest force (well at least i think. The only topic in not very good at is magnetism, its pretty confusin sometimes lol).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Levi23317
For 13 it would be -322g, as current is reversed and doubles mean it experiences double the force but it will act upwards, therefore giving -322g. For 14, the one with the highest area will give the highest magnetic flux passing through between the loop, giving the highest force (well at least i think. The only topic in not very good at is magnetism, its pretty confusin sometimes lol).

Okay cheers, I get 14, the magnetic flux is proportional to area. But with 13, I know the force on the wire is doubled and in the opposite direction, but how do you get a negative reading on the mass scale that's what's confusing me. I feel like I'm missing something here..
Original post by kinghulio
Okay cheers, I get 14, the magnetic flux is proportional to area. But with 13, I know the force on the wire is doubled and in the opposite direction, but how do you get a negative reading on the mass scale that's what's confusing me. I feel like I'm missing something here..

Ok so ill try and explain. Imagine a hypothetical scenario (or you can actually do it yourself if you have a balance) where you put force down on a balance, and then zero it. The reading will be 0g. Now apply a little bit less force down in the balance, it will now give you a negative reading. It doesnt mean theres negative mass, is just means that relative to the zeroed reading, there is a negative value.
Reply 4
Original post by Levi23317
Ok so ill try and explain. Imagine a hypothetical scenario (or you can actually do it yourself if you have a balance) where you put force down on a balance, and then zero it. The reading will be 0g. Now apply a little bit less force down in the balance, it will now give you a negative reading. It doesnt mean theres negative mass, is just means that relative to the zeroed reading, there is a negative value.

After re-reading the question like 50 times it finally made sense... I understood your example perfectly, but this question and its wording were just confusing for me. Thanks for your help mate!
Original post by kinghulio
After re-reading the question like 50 times it finally made sense... I understood your example perfectly, but this question and its wording were just confusing for me. Thanks for your help mate!

No problemo
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest