The Student Room Group

Physics A Level Question Forces - electromagnetic and electrostatic force

Hi, this might be silly but what's the difference between electromagnetic and electrostatic forces, like when do I say static and when do I say magnetic?
I saw this question in my revision guide and the answer says static so I was a bit confused:

Q: Describe how the force of electromagnetic repulsion between two protons
is explained by particle exchange.

A: The electrostatic force is due to the exchange of virtual photons
that only exist for a very short time [1 mark]. The force is due to
the momentum transferred to or gained from the photons as they
are emitted or absorbed by a proton [1 mark].
Reply 1
In classical electrodynamics, electromagnetic forces arise from movement of charge or a time-varying magnetic field. Electrostatic forces arise between fixed charges, and generally don't involve a magnetic field (unless the observer is moving relative to the fixed charges).

However, the question is asking about quantum electrodynamics (virtual photons) where by definition everything is "dynamic", even the forces between static particles. I think the wording is rather confusing, because they are mixing the classical notion of "electrostatic" force with its explanation in quantum electrodynamics which is necessarily dynamic in nature.

In short, don't worry about it, the question is badly worded.
Reply 2
Original post by lordaxil
In classical electrodynamics, electromagnetic forces arise from movement of charge or a time-varying magnetic field. Electrostatic forces arise between fixed charges, and generally don't involve a magnetic field (unless the observer is moving relative to the fixed charges).

However, the question is asking about quantum electrodynamics (virtual photons) where by definition everything is "dynamic", even the forces between static particles. I think the wording is rather confusing, because they are mixing the classical notion of "electrostatic" force with its explanation in quantum electrodynamics which is necessarily dynamic in nature.

In short, don't worry about it, the question is badly worded.

Thank you very much!!

Quick Reply

Latest