The Student Room Group

About to graduate with an engineering degree with no job.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd suggest forget about the big graduate schemes for the moment (you ccan still apply for those up to 3 years after graduating)
target the smaller engineering companies, say you're willing to work for free for a while if you have to

if not, when you graduate start volunteering/working wherever you can to keep bumping up your cv

your chances will definitely get better with time
Original post by aaaaa77
I'd suggest forget about the big graduate schemes for the moment (you ccan still apply for those up to 3 years after graduating)
target the smaller engineering companies, say you're willing to work for free for a while if you have to

if not, when you graduate start volunteering/working wherever you can to keep bumping up your cv

your chances will definitely get better with time

The problem here is the fact that only some graduates will find a job. There are only limited spaces available out there for engineering graduates. Moreover, there will be more engineering students who will be graduating in the future plus the added bonus of jobless engineers who were left out in the past. Then if you understand statistics then you would have realized that the chances of me getting an engineering job will be slimmer every year.

Whether they're small or large businesses. It doesn't matter. The cycle continues.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
but don't forget your chances will be better if you're applying for positions throughout the year, like the January intakes, and you could experience that not everyone will have at that point

I know it's difficult to get your first break, tbh even after the first one it doesn't get that much easier because you're after a better job, but jobhunting is all about getting the required skills and waving them around until someone takes that chance on you
Original post by xdopaminex
The problem here is the fact that only some graduates will find a job. There are only limited spaces available out there for engineering graduates. Moreover, there will be more engineering students who will be graduating in the future plus the added bonus of jobless engineers who were left out in the past. Then if you understand statistics then you would have realized that the chances of me getting an engineering job will be slimmer every year.

Whether they're small or large businesses. It doesn't matter. The cycle continues.

Ultimately you need to be above average compared to your peers. There's about twice as many grads as there are jobs so you need to make sure you're in the top 50% although it's quite late if you're graduating soon. People need to be aware of how competitive it is going in so they don't waste opportunities and leave it until it's too late
For some reason people on this forum love to see graduates struggling and will seek entertainment in provoking your responses. You're coming across a little emotional (understandably to me, this is not a bad phone contract you've signed up to, could have been 18 years of education and your life's ambition) but attacking people's responses is a sure way to not get the help or assistance you need at this point.

I sympathise as a 2014 MEng Mech Eng grad who has taken 4.5 years to get a graduate job in engineering despite having work experience and extracurriculars. I can't easily sum up everything I've learned since graduating that might be useful to you now (you seem to have hit the same couple of red flags of not getting a good placement or managing to secure a job before graduation). This is not something you can change now so whilst it may have been easier to secure employment through placement (most consider them as kind of an extended interview) it doesn't do anybody any good to harbour a bitter attitude. I see this (your attitude) as your main hurdle to success at this point.
Reply 25
Let me ask you this. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? Do you really think it's that easy to get a job even if you are offering your service for free? They will still think of me as a liability without work experience.

I found it easy to get jobs [with no experience] offering my services for free back in the day

It seems you did not read my post properly as I awknowlegded it had gotton harder
:frown: Companies stop asking for engineering work experience from students who can't even get an engineering work experience in the first place.:frown:

This is UNFAIR.

You should have chosen a degree with a year in industry or found an internship for the summer.
Original post by Muttley79
You should have chosen a degree with a year in industry or found an internship for the summer.

I have tried to find some internships during the summer. None of them accepted me though.
xdopaminex
I have tried to find some internships during the summer. None of them accepted me though.

So why didn't you select a course with a year in industry? It's what all my best students do these days.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's a mistake I made.
Welcome to the real world, where your degree ALONE does not guarantee a job ( Unless it's in Medicine/health sector etc).
Original post by Dann.It
Welcome to the real world, where your degree ALONE does not guarantee a job ( Unless it's in Medicine/health sector etc).

The real world sucks!
Reply 32
The real world sucks!

Too bad, that's life especially if you were too lazy to apply for internships.

That's life.

It sounds like you have resigned yourself to the fact that you won't get a job. In which case, what is the point of making this thread and shooting down people who are giving you advice?
work hard at your finals, get a good degree, stop using social-media!!!! (Ok, maybe a linked-in profile)

Look, you can get a job by going through an agency, https://www.manpower.co.uk/jobs/engineering/norwich/#browsing
I randomly chose you engineering jobs in Norwich, there's one. you can blag it where you live.

if you want MORE agencies, here's another 33, in Norwich , feel free to change the town....
https://www.agencycentral.co.uk/agencysearch/search.htm?location=Norwich&do=search&order=covers&emp_cand=cnd&industry=engineering&skill=&

Agency work is perfect as a temporary solution, getting used to waking up before dawn and getting to work before clocking-in time (bit of a shock to the system, delta from student life)
Original post by LuigiMario
work hard at your finals, get a good degree, stop using social-media!!!! (Ok, maybe a linked-in profile)

Look, you can get a job by going through an agency, https://www.manpower.co.uk/jobs/engineering/norwich/#browsing
I randomly chose you engineering jobs in Norwich, there's one. you can blag it where you live.

if you want MORE agencies, here's another 33, in Norwich , feel free to change the town....
https://www.agencycentral.co.uk/agencysearch/search.htm?location=Norwich&do=search&order=covers&emp_cand=cnd&industry=engineering&skill=&

Agency work is perfect as a temporary solution, getting used to waking up before dawn and getting to work before clocking-in time (bit of a shock to the system, delta from student life)

Thank you for your advice. I will use to my advantage.
I've been to my uni's career service. I sent my CV on here. I have looked up winning exemplary CVs online. I tailored my CV to their requirements. And I still don't know what else they want. Might as well send them a fake CV.

Forget the unserious comments from people on here. I know exactly how you feel, I have experienced your pain and so have lots of my other engineering friends (you're not alone, this is becoming a very harsh reality to many engineering grads). People on here are talking like placement years or summer internships are easy to obtain when in fact they aren't (in my second and third year I made it to final rounds for both and I still couldn't get any secured and I had done over 60 applications and had maybe about 10 interviews + about 4 assessment centres....it is extremely competitive).

My advice is to stay strong and don't give up. Try to avoid applying to the overly subscribed places (often which are advertised on GradCracker, this will save you a lot of time, energy and stress levels) and look outside the box. Use LinkedIn to find relevant roles it can be a very powerful tool at discovering roles/companies you have never even heard of. Don't be afraid to look for roles abroad too although if you're going down this route bare in mind you might probably need to have a masters degree to make life slightly easier for yourself.

One question though, are you going to graduate with a BEng or MEng? If you're going to have a BEng then bare in mind it will be a little more challenging but its not impossible (I had a grad job secured when I had a BEng).
(edited 4 years ago)
Rolls Royce
We’re one of the largest providers of engineering work experience in the UK. We’re committed to showcasing just how exciting STEM subjects can be in the working world.
Businesses want young people from all walks of life who are better prepared for the workplace. Our work experience placements are a great place to start developing those employability skills while opening the inspiring possibilities of a STEM-related career at Rolls-Royce, or anywhere else in the world of work.
“Through our work experience programme we’ll open your eyes to what’s possible, help inform your career choices and give you the chance to prove yourselves and make a real contribution in a world class company. Along the way, we’ll also help you develop the soft skills, attitudes and behaviours expected at work.”

How to apply
Simply complete the WEX Application Form to begin your journey towards a placement with Rolls-Royce. Please email your completed form to workexperience2@rolls royce.com.
Requirements
GCSE Students: For a practical or technical placement, you should have or be studying a minimum of 3 GCSEs (or equivalent) in Maths and English Language, plus either Engineering, Design & Technology or Science (excluding Biology), all at grade 4 or C or above.

I dont know if this helps but it's worth a shot.
Original post by AnotherOpinion
Rolls Royce
We’re one of the largest providers of engineering work experience in the UK. We’re committed to showcasing just how exciting STEM subjects can be in the working world.
Businesses want young people from all walks of life who are better prepared for the workplace. Our work experience placements are a great place to start developing those employability skills while opening the inspiring possibilities of a STEM-related career at Rolls-Royce, or anywhere else in the world of work.
“Through our work experience programme we’ll open your eyes to what’s possible, help inform your career choices and give you the chance to prove yourselves and make a real contribution in a world class company. Along the way, we’ll also help you develop the soft skills, attitudes and behaviours expected at work.”

How to apply
Simply complete the WEX Application Form to begin your journey towards a placement with Rolls-Royce. Please email your completed form to workexperience2@rolls royce.com.
Requirements
GCSE Students: For a practical or technical placement, you should have or be studying a minimum of 3 GCSEs (or equivalent) in Maths and English Language, plus either Engineering, Design & Technology or Science (excluding Biology), all at grade 4 or C or above.

I dont know if this helps but it's worth a shot.

That's for people between the age of 14 to 19.
Original post by Student-95
Ultimately you need to be above average compared to your peers. There's about twice as many grads as there are jobs so you need to make sure you're in the top 50% although it's quite late if you're graduating soon. People need to be aware of how competitive it is going in so they don't waste opportunities and leave it until it's too late

I don't even think above 50% will cut it. I think it's about top 10% to be even considered for a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending