The Student Room Group

Software engineering

I'm planning to do Computer and Electronic engineering at uni. My aim is to become a software engineer with that. I was wondering if theres any downside to this degree?. Would this degree be beneficial to help me reach my end goal ? Also, would I be able to get the job as a software engineer right after I graduate with that degree or do I need to undergo extra training ??
Original post by usha muhammad
I'm planning to do Computer and Electronic engineering at uni. My aim is to become a software engineer with that. I was wondering if theres any downside to this degree?. Would this degree be beneficial to help me reach my end goal ? Also, would I be able to get the job as a software engineer right after I graduate with that degree or do I need to undergo extra training ??

I think it's safe to say anyone without relevant work experience in software engineering will do extra training, even if they have software engineering as a degree.

For most graduate schemes, you only need a degree (the degree can be in anything), so which degree you choose is irrelevant. In fact, if you want to go into software engineering, you can do so right out of college or go through an apprenticeship. The degree is often not necessary in tech.

Downside to doing an engineering degree? Depends on whether you like maths. The engineering degree often require a lot of hours studying and working through maths problems.
You would also need to do quite a bit of programming in a typical computer/electronic engineering degree, which can be frustrating with bugs.

Having said the above, you are still eligible to apply for graduate roles right after graduation without further qualifications and training It's very much preferrable that you should get into internships and work placements where possible during your degree to secure a job quicker upon graduation.

See the following for vertification:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/software-engineer
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/software-developer
https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/job-descriptions/software-engineer-job-description
https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/career-profiles/software-engineer/#trainng
https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/my-career-options/job-profiles/software-engineer
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/software-systems/job-profile/software-developer
Reply 2
Original post by usha muhammad

If you want to work as an embedded dev specifically, C+EE would actually be highly beneficial compared to CS. Embedded doesn't pay particularly well compared to webdev right now, but it's much more realistic for someone with an EE background to shift into software than vice versa, and embedded can be very interesting and fulfilling work for some people.

If you want to work as a generalist SWE (web etc), they should be about the same. The EE part wouldn't be particularly relevant to your daily work in that case, but no-one will care that your CV says "Computer and Electronic Engineering" instead of "Computer Science" as long as you're a competent programmer with decent knowledge of algorithms and data structures.

Original post by MindMax2000

I'm curious whether you have a CS background or not?
* CS is a very theoretical subject and (depending on the uni and the focus of the course) might actually involve more maths than EE.
* Although good devs have traditionally been able to get work without a degree, that's less common now than it's ever been because the field is very saturated. You need to stand out and even candidates with relevant degrees sometimes struggle.
* Right now it's worse than ever due to recent mass layoffs from big tech, but it's admittedly hard to predict how things will be when OP graduates.
* There are some SWE grad schemes that will take people with any STEM or even non-STEM background, but it'd still be a bad idea for someone to do their undergrad in Horticulture and then apply for a FAANG grad position.
* Agreed about apprenticeships though, especially with the recent emergence of degree apprenticeships. Anyone offered one of those should almost certainly go for it.
Original post by pmd_qwe
If you want to work as an embedded dev specifically, C+EE would actually be highly beneficial compared to CS. Embedded doesn't pay particularly well compared to webdev right now, but it's much more realistic for someone with an EE background to shift into software than vice versa, and embedded can be very interesting and fulfilling work for some people.

If you want to work as a generalist SWE (web etc), they should be about the same. The EE part wouldn't be particularly relevant to your daily work in that case, but no-one will care that your CV says "Computer and Electronic Engineering" instead of "Computer Science" as long as you're a competent programmer with decent knowledge of algorithms and data structures.

I'm curious whether you have a CS background or not?
* CS is a very theoretical subject and (depending on the uni and the focus of the course) might actually involve more maths than EE.
* Although good devs have traditionally been able to get work without a degree, that's less common now than it's ever been because the field is very saturated. You need to stand out and even candidates with relevant degrees sometimes struggle.
* Right now it's worse than ever due to recent mass layoffs from big tech, but it's admittedly hard to predict how things will be when OP graduates.
* There are some SWE grad schemes that will take people with any STEM or even non-STEM background, but it'd still be a bad idea for someone to do their undergrad in Horticulture and then apply for a FAANG grad position.
* Agreed about apprenticeships though, especially with the recent emergence of degree apprenticeships. Anyone offered one of those should almost certainly go for it.

I don't specifically have a backrgound in CS, and I suppose that means people should get a second opinion on my posts for computer related stuff.
I am researching the degrees and careers related to CS though because I am learning programming (and looking to build my own projects) for my intended degree, and I could go into the field with the intended degree should I wish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending