The Student Room Group

Worth to change major? BME to Chem Eng

Hello everyone! I'm an upcoming undergraduate student in the UK and need some advice. I've been admitted to the University of Leeds to study medical engineering. However, during my research, I came across information suggesting that there might be limited job opportunities just with a bachelor's degree compared to other engineering majors. I've also heard that people with mechanical or chemical engineering backgrounds can often do the same jobs as biomedical engineers.

Considering that I plan to work for a few years before pursuing a master's degree and need to support myself financially, I want to make a realistic decision. BME genuinely interests me, but I'm unsure about the potential career prospects. On the other hand, I have an opportunity to apply for chemical engineering at Queen's University Belfast and also get the chance to apply to biomedical science at other universities.

I would greatly appreciate advice from people who have pursued BME, chemical engineering, or biomedical science or even switched between the two fields. The BME program at my university has a mechanical engineering focus for the first two years. I want to make sure I make an informed choice that aligns with my career goals and provides stability. Thank you so much for the help!
Original post by _greyson_
Hello everyone! I'm an upcoming undergraduate student in the UK and need some advice. I've been admitted to the University of Leeds to study medical engineering. However, during my research, I came across information suggesting that there might be limited job opportunities just with a bachelor's degree compared to other engineering majors. I've also heard that people with mechanical or chemical engineering backgrounds can often do the same jobs as biomedical engineers.

Considering that I plan to work for a few years before pursuing a master's degree and need to support myself financially, I want to make a realistic decision. BME genuinely interests me, but I'm unsure about the potential career prospects. On the other hand, I have an opportunity to apply for chemical engineering at Queen's University Belfast and also get the chance to apply to biomedical science at other universities.

I would greatly appreciate advice from people who have pursued BME, chemical engineering, or biomedical science or even switched between the two fields. The BME program at my university has a mechanical engineering focus for the first two years. I want to make sure I make an informed choice that aligns with my career goals and provides stability. Thank you so much for the help!

Opportunities for all engineering degrees can be a bit limited with a BEng only as the MEng (or MSc) is currently seen as the gold standard - and has been for some time now - so it's not unique to biomedical engineering. It's not that it's impossible, but it is more difficult overall and many of the larger companies do only recruit MEng/MSc graduates.

However, it is true that mechanical engineering can open up many opportunities in the biomedical sector - and electrical & electronics too, possibly more so than mechanical (not sure about chemical though). Biomedical science is a different degree though; it's not an engineering degree, and afterwards you may be more difficult to get into a biomedical engineering masters degree.

Is Leeds good for medical engineering and does it have good links to industry?
Original post by _greyson_

Fundamentally biomedical engineering is more of an industry, and lots of skills needed can be borrowed from the traditional engineering disciplines. BME as a degree is a niche, frankly I think those who work in other industries are probably unfamiliar with the content and skillset it develops.

You can certainly go work in biomedical engineering jobs with other technical degrees. I suspect you can move from BME to other jobs, but it would be much harder & require a strong graduate who can demonstrate they can competently link their skills to the right job.

I say this (without having completed thorough investigation) but If I wanted to work in biomedical engineering, to do a mechanical engineering BEng at a university with good links to biomedical engineering (perhaps look at research) try and get internships in the field and do your dissertation on biomedical topic. Then consider doing an MSc in biomedical engineering.

This would give you a strong engineering foundation which will keep open doors to both biomedical engineering & other industries.

Quick Reply

Latest