The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Everyone else in my class found it easy... I thought it was way harder than any past papers
Rhymenocerous
Everyone else in my class found it easy... I thought it was way harder than any past papers

it was definitely easier than most past papers, but that doesnt mean it was easy! what did u put 4 ur last answer btw???
Reply 82
chr15chr15
woo first to post legally!
i thought it was a reasonably nice synoptic paper!
however i messed up a few things,
i couldn't answer the first question - duh i know friends explained after! 3 marks gone
i didnt realise that the equation was in the form y = mx + c so i lost a mark there! so i also lost at least one mark on the find k question as i remembered last second and scribbled some stuff down!
im hoping i got a B!
someone else must be up its not early!

edit: also the last question there was 2 answers split between reasonably evenly between my class:

1) the photons would hit the wave gain some of its kinetic energy and by e = hf they would have increased frequency! - mine :biggrin:
2) the doppler effect as it hits the wave that is moving close it would rebound with a higher frequency! I dont understand how it could be this as if it was a regular waveform ( a sin wave or something) surely the times when it is moving closer and further away would even out so it would keep the same frequency????

please be the first! :s

There is no difference between those two answers except that 1 uses the photon model and 2 uses the wave model (you said e=hf, which is the whole point). The thing is however, the question was talking about red shift (visible light ==> THZ freq, or 10^17 => 10^12) so while your answer would have been correct, it isn't because of a very simple mistake. Unlucky...
I mentioned the doppler effect for the last q but in no detail, I thought it meant to explain all the physics principles (like some previous paper questions)- so I explained carrier frequency and other things that were mentioned in the quote. Ah well
sdt
There is no difference between those two answers except that 1 uses the photon model and 2 uses the wave model (you said e=hf, which is the whole point). The thing is however, the question was talking about red shift (visible light ==> THZ freq, or 10^17 => 10^12) so while your answer would have been correct, it isn't because of a very simple mistake. Unlucky...

so do you think if i had mentioned something on wave particle duality blahdeblah i would get the marks anyways! hopes!
:biggrin:
Reply 85
Rhymenocerous I did pretty much the same - more the principles than why, although why was part of it
Reply 86
That was a really weird idea, shifting the frequency of light by doppler shift on moving waves to use in optical fibres?? I thought I was getting the total wrong idea when I put it on paper
Reply 87
Heh yeah it was. Gotta love Doppler shift though
Reply 88
yea, loved Q4, but Q1 and 2 were bad for me, especially 1. think PH6 was the worst of my 3 physic papers this year
Easily the hardest PSA6 ever i cannot believe the people who say its easy. Everyone in our class found it solid so maybe we weren't taught correctly, but I thought question 1 was the hardest and killed your confidence before starting the paper.
Overlargebear
Easily the hardest PSA6 ever i cannot believe the people who say its easy. Everyone in our class found it solid so maybe we weren't taught correctly, but I thought question 1 was the hardest and killed your confidence before starting the paper.

Definitly although someone went over the first question after the exam and it was actually annoyingly easy :frown:

Latest