The Student Room Group

Should drug addicts be treated as criminals?

Scroll to see replies

No, branding them as criminals won't make a difference because they'll still do it anyway.

If anything they need more support in place, these people are obviously struggling and it's an extremely hard situation to get out of.
Nice to see the general consensus is that addicts aren't criminals / are victims.
(edited 4 years ago)
It depends on what laws they've broken. If the only one is possession of drugs, then they should be helped to get off them. Obviously it's common for addicts to commit crimes like theft or muggings to pay for drugs - but still they're not in the right mind. I think there should be more thought about why people commit crimes in general, as there are often reasons other than because they were bad people who broke the law.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Of course not. Addicts aren't criminals, they haven't broken any laws. Prison is not the place for drug addicts, prisons do not have the resources, staff or healthcare to help addicts and sending those struggling with addiction into prison only perpetuates a stigma that already makes people ashamed to seek help in the first place.

They may have broken the law I.e taken an illegal drug
Original post by MidgetFever
No, branding them as criminals won't make a difference because they'll still do it anyway.

If anything they need more support in place, these people are obviously struggling and it's an extremely hard situation to get out of.

Is that true I.e if we no longer call a drug addict negative words and move towards positive ones it won’t make q difference whether they want to quit
I smoked it but I didn't inhale
Original post by steamed-hams
Is that true I.e if we no longer call a drug addict negative words and move towards positive ones it won’t make q difference whether they want to quit

That's not what I mean, I don't mean positive connotations, I mean programmes to actually help them. Rehab costs a fortune and not everyone can afford it for themselves or for a family member.
It varies according to the circumstances, particularly as regards age and the involvement of organised crime elements.
People can become addicts without initially choosing to indulge in criminality.
Particularly if they are below the age of criminal responsibility or controlled by a pimp/human traffickers/a drug gang.
But some drug addicts are also habitual criminals who have chosen a life of crime and consumption of illegal narcotics is only one element to this.
What about people who forced to live near drug addict? Were I use to live their were a couple of drug addicts they have fights in the street would shop lift, mugged teenagers and disabled people etc. Why should other people have to put the criminal behave of drug addicts?

Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
Yes. Not only are they harming themselves but harming others. It’s highly addictive and it makes people wanna do reckless things. THEY ARE CRIMINALS

criminal
/ˈkrɪmɪn(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: criminal; plural noun: criminals

a person who has committed a crime.

What crime have they committed?
Is self harm a crime?
Not all addicts harm others and there are different laws to deal with that.
Original post by 999tigger
criminal
/ˈkrɪmɪn(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: criminal; plural noun: criminals

a person who has committed a crime.

What crime have they committed?
Is self harm a crime?
Not all addicts harm others and there are different laws to deal with that.

can people get over this? i have explained further

So not additcs as in the question, but drug dealers? Illegal drug dealers would ofc be criminals because they would be breaking the law.

A lot of people have a drug legalization or decriminalization agenda to push and don't appreciate being reminded of current drugs laws.
This has been going on since the 1960s.
Starting with decriminalizing possession of small amounts of cannabis, then all amounts of cannabis, then legalizing all class b&c drugs.
Then finally a free for all- where it is legal for adults to buy heroin, crystal meth and all other drugs from approved suppliers that are taxed on their profits.
Like buying alcohol or cigarettes.
Original post by looloo2134
What about people who forced to live near drug addict? Were I use to live their were a couple of drug addicts they have fights in the street would shop lift, mugged teenagers and disabled people etc. Why should other people have to put the criminal behave of drug addicts?

"Forced" I know it isn't easy to pack up and leave but no one is "forcing" you to stay there.
Why should I be forced to move because of those criminals their the one who should be in prison or rehab.
"Forced" I know it isn't easy to pack up and leave but no one is "forcing" you to stay there.
They are not criminals in the slightest
They need help to overcome their addiction and putting them in prison won't help anything
Original post by looloo2134
Why should I be forced to move because of those criminals their the one who should be in prison or rehab.

Which is exactly what I addressed as the issue; rehab is more often than not too expensive. Hence why I believe there should be more support for addicts.

Some are genuinely good people that made the mistake of taking drugs in the first place to mask the demon's they're already haunted with. I know an ex-drug addict that turned to drugs because of his extreme PTSD he suffered during his time serving in the army. Do you really think he should be criminalised for that, or helped?
Last time I checked the question was about addicts not drug dealers
You can't generalise and call people who are struggling 'CRIMINALS'
In capital as well as if you were trying to emphasise that by any chance?
They have not committed any crimes so they cannot be referred to as criminals
They are just people who are in serious need of help to overcome their addictions that have gone out of their control.
Would you be making excuse if your child playing was playing in park and they ending up have be tested for STD because they found a used needle. Or someone you know got put in hospital after being mugged by drug addicts?
Original post by xxlaila03xx
They are not criminals in the slightest
They need help to overcome their addiction and putting them in prison won't help anything
Why do Scotsmen drink?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending