The Student Room Group

Why do LGBTQ women have higher rates of mental health problems?

Serious & polite discussion only please.
I have been doing some research and according to many reliable sources (including the government's LGBT surveys and Stonewall's research) mental health problems are almost always highest is lesbian and bisexual women compared to other LGBTQ group e.g. gay men.
Why do you think this is?
One possible reason I have found is that queer women (and women in general) are much more likely to be sexualised than men, which can lead to low self-esteem.
Original post by bumblebeehugger
Serious & polite discussion only please.
I have been doing some research and according to many reliable sources (including the government's LGBT surveys and Stonewall's research) mental health problems are almost always highest is lesbian and bisexual women compared to other LGBTQ group e.g. gay men.
Why do you think this is?

idk maybe they gt bullied more? :s-smilie:
Original post by 1st superstar
idk maybe they gt bullied more? :s-smilie:

That's a good point! But why is it that they get bullied more than, for example, bisexual men?
Probably because they have to deal with stupid comments such as “I can turn you straight” and “can I join in?” and homophobic family members
Femme lesbians get it in the neck in the following ways: 'can i turn you straight', 'you havent met the right man yet, im that man', 'can i watch'
Butch lesbians get it in the neck in the following ways: 'You look like a boy', 'you look like a queer' *D slur* 'are you the man in the relationship'
Sprinkle all of this with some lovely classical homophobia and it's not hard to work out

:ditto:
Original post by CoolCavy
Femme lesbians get it in the neck in the following ways: 'can i turn you straight', 'you havent met the right man yet, im that man', 'can i watch'
Butch lesbians get it in the neck in the following ways: 'You look like a boy', 'you look like a queer' *D slur* 'are you the man in the relationship'
Sprinkle all of this with some lovely classical homophobia and it's not hard to work out

:ditto:

Mostly from retarded straight men, may I add. You get a bit of homophobia from straight women too, mostly fat ugly ones assuming that because I’m gay I want their pussy, like, no, nobody wants your ugly ass, especially not a lesbian like me.
Original post by bumblebeehugger
That's a good point! But why is it that they get bullied more than, for example, bisexual men?

Gender inequality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending