The Student Room Group

what the hell is the impeachment of the president???

im not from the USA but its been on the news a lot and i tried to understand it but honestly, i can't so i want someone to dumb it down for me
Just to clarify: impeachment just means that the motion to impeach the President has gotten its way through the House of Representatives. He hasn't been removed from office (you need a 2/3rd majority in the Senate I think for that to happen, and then Trump really would make history lol)
Reply 2
Original post by iamjoecll
im not from the USA but its been on the news a lot and i tried to understand it but honestly, i can't so i want someone to dumb it down for me

It's the House of Congress agreeing that there is enough evidence to charge him of crime.

Being found guilty of it by the House of Senate is the next step.

So, analogy... (Not exact)
If you were suspected of a crime, the police may investigate it, arrest you, conduct interviews, and then pass you onto the courts. The courts would then put you in front of a judge and jury and, if guilty, send you to jail.

What's happened so far is the first bit, the police part.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by deathbyfm
Just to clarify: impeachment just means that the motion to impeach the President has gotten its way through the House of Representatives. He hasn't been removed from office (you need a 2/3rd majority in the Senate I think for that to happen, and then Trump really would make history lol)

I mean he's kinda already made history as only the third president to ever be impeached.
In my opinion he's not going to be found guilty because the Senate is mostly made up of Reps so the Dems are going to have to do a hell of a lot of convincing to get the 2/3 required...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending