The Student Room Group

helppppppppp

anybody knws is the tertiary structure of protein determines its bond formation or the quaternary structure? is it true if i say both these structures consists of bonds like disulfide bonds or ionic bonds etc.?
Original post by Wuxinyu
anybody knws is the tertiary structure of protein determines its bond formation or the quaternary structure? is it true if i say both these structures consists of bonds like disulfide bonds or ionic bonds etc.?

The sequence of amino acids in the primary structure of the polypeptide determine what bonds it will form in the tertiary structure.

When the polypetide in its primary structure (string of beads) starts to fold, the R groups of the amino acid side chains come close to each other.

This can lead to ionic bonds and disulphide bonds, which help to create a functional 3D shape = tertiary structure

Molecules in the tertiary structure can use hydrogen/disulphide/ionic and other interactions to form bonds with other molecules also folded in the tertiary structure, which leads to a quarternary structure.

(I have left secondary structure out deliberately, to avoid confusion)

Quick Reply

Latest