The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As suspected, not everyone views the scheme positively

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/ethics-of-furloughing-staff-josh-sunsoa/
Original post by ANM775
the government is paying it.

Where is your evidence that the government is paying the amazon workers and supermarket staff bonuses which is what we were talking about?

(Original post by ANM775)
some amazon workers and super market staff are being given more. I've heard no one complaining about that.

Original post by Budweiservirus
Just do a big shop once a week (or less if necessary) and try to go when things are likely to be less busy!

Dats what I do do mate, but obviously as you can imagine seeing a queve is frustrating and gets me fed up and mad ! :mad::mad::mad: It's not normal...
Original post by Anonymous370
Dats what I do do mate, but obviously as you can imagine seeing a queve is frustrating and gets me fed up and mad ! :mad::mad::mad: It's not normal...

I hear you can get a fake NHS card free at your local street corner.
Original post by harrysbar
As suspected, not everyone views the scheme positively

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/ethics-of-furloughing-staff-josh-sunsoa/

that's just one person.

and you had to hunt that down in google using key words in order to find

truth is, you're never going to get 100% of the population to agree to anything. In general though, it is clear that society has much less of a problem with people working during this crisis getting extra money ..than people being given preferential treatment at the shops [at their expense]
Where is your evidence that the government is paying the amazon workers and supermarket staff bonuses which is what we were talking about?

(Original post by ANM775)

government i don't think is paying those two, but none the less they are getting more money and people just don't care enough to complain it. like they don't care enough to complain about furloughed staff

one news article doesn't really count.
it is not a very popular opinion.
Original post by Anonymous370

Is this a serious post?
Original post by ANM775
that's just one person.

and you had to hunt that down in google using key words in order to find

truth is, you're never going to get 100% of the population to agree to anything. In general though, it is clear that society has much less of a problem with people working during this crisis getting extra money ..than people being given preferential treatment at the shops [at their expense]

I googled to find some evidence of what I said yes (which you clearly didn't read because it is not just one person), I've yet to see you back up what you say with any evidence or factual information. It would be ridiculous for people to prefer to pay NHS employees extra money at this time (an extra £2 an hour you suggested) with over 1.2 million employees when actually, most are quite happy just to feel appreciated. The queues aren't even long anymore.
Original post by ANM775
government i don't think is paying those two, but none the less they are getting more money and people just don't care enough to complain it. like they don't care enough to complain about furloughed staff

one news article doesn't really count.
it is not a very popular opinion.

Now we're going round it circles because as I said before, people don't complain about supermarket staff getting bonuses because it doesn't affect them. The supermarkets are paying for it so it won't come out of future taxes.

Some people do complain about other people getting furloughed when they can't benefit from the scheme themselves, or complain about rich companies using the furlough scheme when they could afford to pay their staff rather than getting govenment handouts. We all have different opinions.

I'm not going to go round in circles again so at the end of the day, if you are happy to carry on resenting NHS for getting the odd free lunch or benefit in a supermarket queue that's up to you.
I googled to find some evidence of what I said yes (which you clearly didn't read because it is not just one person), I've yet to see you back up what you say with any evidence or factual information. It would be ridiculous for people to prefer to pay NHS employees extra money at this time (an extra £2 an hour you suggested) with over 1.2 million employees when actually, most are quite happy just to feel appreciated. The queues aren't even long anymore.

If the government announced the NHS were being £2 an hour extra I doubt you would see much complaints. This is based off the fact there have been few complaints against furloughed staff.

Yet we are seeing many people disgruntled about NHS staff. I read a news article about another NHS staff crying because "stockpilers" stopped her getting into the supermarket in the early hours due to the disorderly que. When she challenged one of them for not letting her though, she was told "I'm hungry too"

NHS staff arn't the only ones with mouths.
People don't like to see others just jump the que like that in a time of shortage.
Original post by ANM775
If the government announced the NHS were being £2 an hour extra I doubt you would see much complaints. This is based off the fact there have been few complaints against furloughed staff.

Why don't you start a thread about it, Should NHS workers be paid £2 an hour extra and see if people are happy with the idea? Some people on here object to other people giving them a clap let alone an extra £2 an hour
Original post by Wired_1800
It does not matter how long it will take. If there is a staff list drawn for members across the essential sectors who worked from March 1 until when the lockdown was released, then the invitations are sent out.

Imagine how much it would cost to produce circa 1.5m gongs. The country is basically bankrupt after this and will have to increase taxes to cover the furlough etc grants.

I could do without my tax money being wasted on trinkets.
AstraZeneca have told Sky News that the they should know if the vaccine they are working on (with the university of Oxford) works by June or July. This is hopefully. I hope if it seems likely to work in the next few week to a month the government start ramping up production. We need as many of the population vaccinated asap.
Whether people agree with it or not, the point is that Waitrose will allow key workers priority at any time, upon showing their badge. Therefore from the workers point of view it is not "queue barging" because it is store policy to let them walk straight in. If the people in the queue are not aware of this policy they may understandably be annoyed, but it is Waitrose HQ who made that decision :dontknow:

Well the store manager (probably) should be doing a better job of explaining company policy to the non NHS people queueing up.
People are pretty tolerant of policies, even if they don't agree with them providing they are explained in plenty of time and don't result in a 'surprise' when they think they're going to be next.
By explain I mean a laminated A4 next to the queue line, not the store manager walking up and down like basil fawltey..
If the customers join the line knowing that NHS workers can cut in they're a lot less likely to complain about it when it happens. If they really can't stand it, they can go and queue up somewhere else.

Ain't saying it's the NHS people's fault... More that Companies are bringing in polices that are arbitrary and non obvious.
Original post by Joinedup
Well the store manager (probably) should be doing a better job of explaining company policy to the non NHS people queueing up.
People are pretty tolerant of policies, even if they don't agree with them providing they are explained in plenty of time and don't result in a 'surprise' when they think they're going to be next.
By explain I mean a laminated A4 next to the queue line, not the store manager walking up and down like basil fawltey..
If the customers join the line knowing that NHS workers can cut in they're a lot less likely to complain about it when it happens. If they really can't stand it, they can go and queue up somewhere else.

Ain't saying it's the NHS people's fault... More that Companies are bringing in polices that are arbitrary and non obvious.

Yes I agree with that
Why don't you start a thread about it, Should the NHS be paid £2 an hour extra and see if people are happy with the idea? Some people on here object to other people giving them a clap let alone an extra £2 an hour

Not happy about something and actually complaining about something are too different things.

If people saw NHS staff were getting a £2 an hour extra on the news. Some indeed might think to themselves "not fair" ....but they're not going to complain about it much, because it's not affecting their day to day life the same way que jumping is.

as for the clapping thing, i expect again it goes back to favouritism. why are delivery drivers or warehouse pickers not being clapped? without them we'd all starve. There are plenty of working people doing jobs which are essential but only NHS workers are being acknowledged. Did you get mail today? why is your local postie not being cheered?
Original post by Napp
The key point though is that, as of yet, this is not an everlasting thing and they are continuing to respond to a difficult situation. Yet a few obnoxious little people, like Hotchocolate and anm775 are whining about their losing their place in the queue to someone objectively more deserving.. I mean of all the things to whine about :lol:

PRSOM
Original post by ANM775
Not happy about something and actually complaining about something are too different things.

If people saw NHS staff were getting a £2 an hour extra on the news. Some indeed might think to themselves "not fair" ....but they're not going to complain about it much, because it's not affecting their day to day life the same way que jumping is.

as for the clapping thing, i expect again it goes back to favouritism. why are delivery drivers or warehouse pickers not being clapped? without them we'd all starve. There are plenty of working people doing jobs which are essential but only NHS workers are being acknowledged. Did you get mail today? why is your local postie not being cheered?

Original post by MrMusician95
AstraZeneca have told Sky News that the they should know if the vaccine they are working on (with the university of Oxford) works by June or July. This is hopefully. I hope if it seems likely to work in the next few week to a month the government start ramping up production. We need as many of the population vaccinated asap.

PRSOM. Thanks for even more constructive, happy news.
Original post by ANM775

The cheering is for key workers not just NHS so no favouritism. And plenty of people would complain if it was announced that NHS staff were getting £2 an hour extra simply due to working during coronavirus

Latest

Trending

Trending