The Student Room Group

Primary alcohol

for this the answer is B but makes no sense. surely it’s A as u get the C bonded to two Hs making a primary alcholol

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04j_vw-kMy1XkDcLTRH2r6W8A
I'm a little rusty on this but the answer B makes sense to me - wouldn't reducing A form a secondary alcohol rather than a primary alcohol as cyclohexanone is a ketone? Please do correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't been over this in ages!
Reply 2

A will give a secondary alcohol. A primary alcohol must mean the OH is terminal. If it is C-(OH)-C then it is secondary.
Reply 3
Original post by Joey6272
for this the answer is B but makes no sense. surely it’s A as u get the C bonded to two Hs making a primary alcholol

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04j_vw-kMy1XkDcLTRH2r6W8A

Reducing A (cyclohexanone) would form cyclohexanol. Draw that out and tell me how many H's are attached to the C with the hydroxyl group.

Reducing B (cyclohexylmethanoic acid) would form cyclohexylmethanol. Draw that one out too.
Reply 4
un

Original post by Claisen

A will give a secondary alcohol. A primary alcohol must mean the OH is terminal. If it is C-(OH)-C then it is secondary.

i don’t get this mechanism for B. normally if u reduce that carboxylic acid wouldn’t u change that double bond O to a Oh so there’s two Oh groups.
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
Reducing A (cyclohexanone) would form cyclohexanol. Draw that out and tell me how many H's are attached to the C with the hydroxyl group.

Reducing B (cyclohexylmethanoic acid) would form cyclohexylmethanol. Draw that one out too.

i don’t get this mechanism for B. normally if u reduce that carboxylic acid wouldn’t u change that double bond O to a Oh so there’s two Oh groups.
Reply 6
Original post by Joey6272

No, not to my knowledge. Google the mechanism (alcohol reduction to acid with LiAlBH4) and you will see what happens. You can use BH3 to isolate the intermediate reactive aldehyde and treat this to give a dialcohol. In reality, with this strong reducing agent, it goes straight to a primary alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest